What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just got HOME and have been unpacking.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Welcome home LLL, hope you had a lovely break :up how long have you been away?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Wah-Hey! Welcome back LLL you have been missed. :hug:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lazy day today been doing a bit of water colour painting, was up fairy early as my mobile kept going off with good wishes texts, so decided a lie in was out of the question :| Daughter called in for a couple of hours, but otherwise "all quiet on the Western Front", as its Friday night I will be off out for a few pints a bit later :br I have been thinking of treating myself to a trail camers so I can check out the local wildlife if the weather ever improves that is. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am back. Bit tired but was gone 24 days total with 21 in Mexico. Can't say it was a great holiday as it did seem fraught with all number of 'instances' and 'issues' from flu to earthquake. On arrival in Seattle at 10pm I checked into my hotel at 11pm for a night sleep before my drive home. Since, on the law of averages most went wrong, it was natural that the hotel check me into a room directly beside an owner of a brand new baby puppy who screamed and cried all night. Was #$$%@! AWFUL as the puppy cried from midnight to 2am then started up again at 5:30am.

At 1:40am I strolled to the front desk asking them to do something given this puppy was just crying in high gear which said nothing about all the other people yelling in that wing for them to 'shut it up.' The only response from the front desk was to ask me 'why' I requested a room on the first floor to which I said I didn't (and actually have never been on the first floor any other time I've stayed there) and said they'd give me a FREE breakfast + apologized for the 'inconvenience.'

Long story short I left the hotel by 6am to drive south to get my military ID updated on Base. My appointment was for 10am but thankfully they had a spot come open at 8:45am and got them through. This let me drive to the Border and I was actually on a mid-afternoon ferry home.

Overall the holiday was good. First couple of day were overcast and cloudy and Brrrrr 48F! Couldn't find another power cord for my laptop aka "computadora" (and my Spanish wasn't good enough to explain what I really needed) so ordered one to pick up in the USA en route home.

My flu was extreme tiredness with lots of congestion and a severe headache (almost like a migraine). I slept for 3 days straight and then essentially laid around the pool for another couple of days before feeling up to snuff (although I'm still not feeling overly energetic).

All in all 3 weeks away was good. I didn't exactly sun tan in that I never lay out in the sun but just being in brighter climate and temperatures always browns me up a bit.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah well, at least you had a good break and are home safe :up
Me? well I have had a good night up the pub with a few good mates, lots of banter and Annie gets to meet all her friends :up she is a proper little poser and loves the attension ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We had a lovely expedition to my favourite garden centre yesterday - Pugh's in Morgan's Town, Cardiff.

I've never seen a cleaner better organised point of plant sale - lots of plants of course, but of such quality! I looked for anything a bit over the top , broken, bent dying off without success. Absolutely outstanding and to top it off plenty of helpful staff who knew their job and weren't pushy.

My daughter bought me a Stephanotis, some tiny Kalanchoes which I prefered to have rather than a large bowl of bigger plants all of one colour and a selection of Begonia corms, so for me Spring is on the way!

Note my Kalanchoes from last spring are still in flower, I brought them in from the garden in November. They are not burdened with flowers it's true but enough to give me pleasure still as is the Campanula in the path, still spangled with blooms through whatever the weather wants to throw at it. I shall try to gather seed from this plant as it's mother doesn't usually flower after the autumn sets in. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ahhhhhhhh "begonia corms!" I used to be totally fascinated with them and used to grow (40 yrs ago) LOTS of 'em!

I used to have uprights, hanging and in every colour and variation I could lay hands on. I always used to marvel that this tiny brown corm could produce such gloriously coloured flowers.......and.........now that you've mentioned it MD I'm of a mind to go and look for a few as they'd definitely add colour to my front patio/porch area. The hostas grow well out there and I've been totally impressed with the ferns (thanks to Grandad & Horus for growing them as his growing them prompted me to grow them and they've done phenomenally well. I even purchased this last trip (in the USA) 2 larger ceramic pottery type pots to transplant them into so they can grow even better and larger.

Granted we are facing an Arctic front here right now so outside growing isn't exactly what I can do right now but plants and planting is always an interest :) :) (Now to add begonia corms to my list)

And MD I still can't believe you've got Kalanchoes that have bloomed for so long. I've had zero luck with them but they are so lovely and colourful I might just give them a try again for the pops of colour they afford.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think it was the slugs eating most of the flowers off the Kalanchoes - they were desperate to survive! Actually that's strange - the slugs haven't so far touched the flowers, just the leaves. Also the Campanula leaves and flowers they haven't touched, weird as I don't get any blooms on pinks outside, they suck the petals out of the buds even. :x

So far I have 6 upright Begonias, mixed colours which cost £1 each. I hope very much they are the same varieties they were selling for £9 (I bought 3 :oops: ) last summer - amazing numbers of huge flowers. I saved a few corms from last year, so here's hoping. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD I'm going to head to the local Plant Nursery this Wednesday as that is 20% off day for Seniors. Am going to check out the begonia corms to see what I can get. Am sure they'll do very well on my front with the hostas & ferns. To date I haven't had a slug venture even close but the plants are all in pots on cement so any slug would have to cross gravel & cement to reach 'em.

I don't have hanging baskets (hate watering them) and this house doesn't really have anything sturdy enough out front to hang a larger heavier basket from. All the facia is the newer modern light weight stuff that hardly supports a light weight hummingbird feeder.

But - upright begonias will hopefully do very well. Very glad you mentioned them as I'm thinking 3,4,5 or so will do very well.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:o LLL slugs not cross gravel or cement, you jest surely!?

Welsh slugs live in the gravel, scamper across concrete, up walls through floorboards into the house where they happily leave trails across carpet, walls and even inside and out of my suede boots, shoes and slippers quite regularly. :evil:

They also have a love of paper and some gloss paint nibbling it away. They ate the cover of my new books, files and correspondence. Not huge amounts, just enough to show that they can.

I now know better than to kick my shoes off and recline in the chair when watching TV as I've trodden on one in my bare feet several times (slow learner :oops:) there is a quiet satisfaction in accidentally treading on one wearing shoes.

The problem is I hate killing anything, but when the seagulls have there young I do some slug wrangling in the morning in the back garden and transfer them into the front garden with some greenstuff in a pot. The parents take the slugs and then the last couple of years I've had their youngsters happily foraging in my stone wall and even the pot itself while totally ignoring me or passing pedestrians.

We do have the huge slugs with the orange undercarriage, but not many - most are grey 2"-3" long and pretty dry skinned - their trails in the house are intermittent not one long winding trails that will show me where they get access.

When I have mentioned the slug problem to local folk they shrug and say "It is, what it is like having shrubs growing out of the chimney and on window sills. Same for everyone round here." Thanks a bunch. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have slugs a plenty. Fat and lazy and most could do good imitations of sumo wrestlers they're so large and, as with your Welsh slugs, they ARE everywhere but so far they haven't crossed the great gravel front yard + patio stones + cement to reach my hostas that are in pots beside the house. Am sure in time one intrepid adventurer will cross and take up residence but so far so good. I think it is that the front gets full hot sun and it is the sun that deters them from the trek.

Personally I have no hesitation in killing an ant/slug/wasp/mosquito or any little beastie that might bite or otherwise annoy me. Chop a leaf and lose your life (if I catch you) is my motto.

I'd not kill a wild animal but somehow dispatching quickly anything in the insect world doesn't bother me in the least (except honey bees - I quite like them and actually think they need protecting) and, on another note re: bees I've just read somewhere that MASON bees are the way to go and somebody somewhere around here is offering workshops on how to raise them (plus offering starter kits for $50). Apparently Mason bees are the way to go to get your garden pollinated. Will have to look into them too although strikes me, and I need to re-check this as my memory is not secure in this, that Mason bees do NOT hang around. You get them in tubes, house them 'til they hatch and then they fly off (or die). For some reason I've read a bit and it comes to me that Mason bees do not stay in a hive and make honey the way honey bees do.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A rarely have a problem with slugs on my hostas and have to assume that the foxes keep them under control as they seem also to control the rats.

As for today, nice as the day has been we did not get away from the house. Really getting serious cabin fever since we had to give up the car. Among my morning dose of tablets there is a very strong diuretic that keeps me near the loo for at least 4 hours. A few minutes after I took it our daughter phoned with an invitation to take us to the coast for lunch. Drat, 5 minutes earlier and I would have been happy to accept but sadly had to decline. :(

I must have advanced warning for such things :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I know the feeling Grandad, but fortunately my medication has been reduced which is, no pun intended, a relief. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I know how you feel Grandad, I must have had 20 pee's yesterday literally everytime I stood up I had to go. I think that this lurgy I have picked up has gone to my kidneys as apart from everything else my back aches :cry:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus, sounds like you may have a UTI, if so you will need an antibiotic to clear it up. Don't ignore it mate.
I would advise a telcon with your doc.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interestingly in my distant past work career I sometimes came across very elderly people who were reported to be very "demented." Sometimes this was true but a UTI in an older person CAN make them present for all intents and purposes as demented (and seemingly they are unaware they have a rampaging UTI). Once the UTI is treated via medication they come back to the sane world of reason. Was always a real interesting phenomena to me that a UTI can manifest that way.

Today I'm still under seige by snow so haven't done too much of anything. Am intending to cook a turkey so I can then cut up and re-freeze all the meat so I can eat it on salads and in wraps as I go.

The grandkids are 'maybe' coming over but the daughter isn't sure she can get out on her roads.

I bought an Echo Dot and believe me there is a LONG STORY related to it but it is not going as a prezzie to the twins (sadly unfortunately) so while I bought it as a "gift" I guess I'll figure out how to subscribe it to me.

While in Mexico the powercord to my laptop died and I was left with my old Kindle to communicate with and cause on the day of SUPERBOWL (USA football) Amazon.com had a sale on bigger, better, faster with ALEXA Kindles for real cheap I bought one figuring I might just take it with me on my travels and not take the laptop anymore at all. Seems the older I get the heavier the camera/laptop/Kindles get even though I haul them all in my carry on which has wheels so really I pull them but ? Anyway I've only charged up my new Yellow Kindle but guess I need to sign on to it and get it going. My old Kindle which I've managed to download 500+ books from Amazon onto will now live permanently in the bathroom as I really love to read whilst laying in the bathtub.

The sun is out and shining brightly today but this Arctic front has sure pushed the temperatures down. Nothing is melting at all. Marsh is frozen over so I don't know where the swans are or how they're making out. I unthawed the hummingbird feeders and they're now happilly buzzing them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Not wishing to dwell on the subject but I can concur with what you say about UTI's LLL.
Don't read this Horus, we all know you are fully Compus Mentis. ;)

My daughters father in law had a long battle with cancer in his bladder. On several occasions he went into what looked like a drug induced state. His wife was very worried and called an ambulance. In hospital he was diagnosed with a UTI which with antibiotics soon got him back to normal.

I will say no more on the subject....?.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

A lot of UTI's can also be due to dehydration, so make sure you drink plenty. If you have a local Savers store, get some sachets of Cystocalm, and cranberry juice helps too.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Still colder 'n the hubs with lots of snow out there today. The daughter is going to bring the crew over this afternoon and we're going to paint some mini birdhouses I bought. The oldest twin absolutely loves it when he can make anything so will mess up the kitchen and paint away this afternoon.

Watching on the TV the results of a court case from 2015 in Quebec whereby pitbulls attacked and mauled an 8 yr old girl who was playing in a children's park with her mother. The dogs charged and dragged her off some distance away. Bites punctured her skull and left her with permanent damage to her hands. Totally unprovoked attack when the dogs were being walked by the owners 70 yr old mother who was unable to hold them when they charged the little girl. It is possible the owner of these dogs could face up to 10 yrs in jail.

This trial comes just after many cities in Quebec lifted a ban on the breed that has been in place for the past several years.

Personally that particular breed does make me nervous. I have a gf here (late 70ies) who rented a suite in her home to a couple who had a pair. My gf felt sorry for this couple as they were having a hard time finding a place to live because of their dogs. She sees herself as a "dog person" and has loved dogs all her life and often will go and housesit for people who go away for extended periods and don't want to kennel their dogs.

She went outside on her back patio one morning with a coffee and these two dogs she knew as they lived with their owners in her suite attacked her. Bit her arm and the shaking really tore up tissue and muscle and then infection set in so it was quite an ordeal for her. She didn't press charges or even require anything be done to the dogs (cause again she sees herself as a dog person) but ???

Is this a dangerous unpredictable breed? How would you feel if a neighbor acquired a pitbull? I know in the case of my gf she did NOTHING to cause this attack at all.