What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've just been watching the early news on TV and one of the reports was connected to Macular degeneration. Evidently, they have just treated two people who were registered blind with stem cells and they can see again! It was also stated that they hope to be offering the treatment to many others within a couple of years, so I immediately thought of Grandad and his wife. Hope for you both, Grandad? :up

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers
Thanks for the thought RS. I did see the report and it is so amazing what can be done. I had a cataract lens implant 6 months ago but that is in the front of the eye. Can you imagine what delicate surgery it is to put an implant at the back of the eye behind the retina. Absolutely amazing.

I doubt if this new procedure will be generally available for us to take advantage but it is good news for future sufferers. And to think, it is only ten years since injections in the eye to control wet AMD became generally available. Before that it meant progressive blindness, sometimes very rapid.

Perhaps the sixty four million dollar man is not too far in the future. ;) :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just a bit of worthless chat. ;)
When in a store with my #2 son I often see him scanning items with his phone. As it is a very recent iphone I assumed that this was a feature of the latest models.
Yesterday I needed to read a QR code, one of those square boxes full of squiggles that you see printed on adverts and products.
On the off chance I searched the App store and found one for QR and barcodes. I downloaded it and Bingo, I could read QR and barcodes and not only that, it also gave me prices of items at local stores for comparison.
Another little trick of technology that I thought my phone was too old to use.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

At last a bit of sunshine and starting to look like spring. :up Went into town briefly this morning and life is beginning to come back to the city. Just a couple of shots on the phone.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:Just a bit of worthless chat. ;)
When in a store with my #2 son I often see him scanning items with his phone. As it is a very recent iphone I assumed that this was a feature of the latest models.
Yesterday I needed to read a QR code, one of those square boxes full of squiggles that you see printed on adverts and products.
On the off chance I searched the App store and found one for QR and barcodes. I downloaded it and Bingo, I could read QR and barcodes and not only that, it also gave me prices of items at local stores for comparison.
Another little trick of technology that I thought my phone was too old to use.

:up :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My phone read them off the screen H. I'm not aux fait with QR, but going back many years I remember the first time we got into barcodes for product identification. The early hand scanners were very hit and miss, today they seem to read from a hundred paces. ;) :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes they can be useful, I have had one on my phone for yonks and as you can see I also sometimes create my own ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I still have an use an old fashioned cell phone. Best it can do it make a call in Canada and if I am really luck the call will not drop or otherwise be lost.

Today I'm annoyed as I just got a call saying tomorrow Pottery will be cancelled due to sickness of the Instructor and confirming it will end the end of this month. I've queried what are all of us supposed to do with what we've made etc? Just leave it? They're going to toss it? I've already had some glazed items returned with big chips out of them as everything is getting buffered and batted about :( NOT HAPPY!

Today I did go to the Garden Center and :( only 1 variety of begonia tuber left which is a white hanging variety. Guess I should have gotten up there sooner and got a couple more. Now I'm not too sure where else to look for them but maybe this weekend I'll try the Feed Mill Store.

On the other hand I bought pea, bean, beet seeds. I bought a package of carrot seeds that are in tape form. I grow carrots really well here but I typically end up with seeds that are too close and I'm not really good about thinning. I've never tried the seed tape before so hopefully it will do well.

Bought 80 sets of Spanish Onions and a flat of leaf lettuce (only greed & red).

I'll be planting the pea seeds once I dig out the netting and will get the onions & lettuce into the ground this weekend and then keep my fingers crossed we won't get any more frost (I hope).

The twins are at Lego Robotics this afternoon so I'm watching the Granddaughter. We're just back to the house from a walk and stop at the school playground. Now she is watching Paw Patrol 'til Mom & brothers come back.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I went for a walk with Annie yesterday which I will write up later if I get the time.
Today should be shopping day but i will put that off until Friday as I plan to do a job on my caravan which requires me cutting a large hole in one side :o so I am taking advantage of what should be a decent day weather wise. In addition to that I went up my mates house last night and we managed to sink a few beers, so early morning driving is out of the question. It was spur of the moment, his wife was away for a few days and had bought him one of those 8 pint kegs of beer and it was 'Old Speckled Hen' one of my favourites :br Anyway once opened they need to be drunk or it goes flat, ;) hence the invite along with another friend of ours, result = a late night.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Anyway once opened they need to be drunk or it goes flat, ;) hence the invite along with another friend of ours, result = a late night.
Of course they do ;) :lol:

We will do the usual Thursday shopping today and I have just checked that the Sainsburys wine/spirits offer is on again from today. Buy a minimum of 6 bottles, all the same or mixed, and get 25% off. Time to stock up methinks. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Go figure - yesterday I went and bought seeds and onion sets and a box of lettuce for the garden and now today Environment Canada is talking about snow! AGHHHHH!!!!! Wasn't going to plant anything 'til the weekend anyway but now I might be shoveling snow off the garden. Darnnnnnnn!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I chose today to do my outside job on my caravan because it cannot be left until completely finished, so the weather said fine, no rain until the evening. What they didn't say was that it was going to be so cold it would freeze a witches tit off, so I have been outside all day freezing to death and I am still not finished, only on here while some glue sets. :a55:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

It's been a beautiful day here :) couldn't wait to get home and the winter coat off :a65:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD I thought you might be interested to know that the 200 metre chimney at Kings north power station was demolished today (Thursday).
So that landmark in north Kent is no more. :(
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My DH worked at Dungeness power station at one time.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Ruby Slippers
RS you reminded me of when we went to an open day at Dungeness B in 1988 and stood on top of the reactor. :lol:

As for today, we took the bus into town again. This time mainly for my wife to return an item to M & S and change for a different size. A frequent occurrence. ;)

A few years ago I DID start taking pictures of all the pubs in Canterbury. I have got many of them but still some to visit. The bus stopped at a level crossing right opposite one of my missing pubs so I took a quick snap with the mobile through the bus window.

This is The Bishops Finger quite near to where I live. It is a Shepherd Neame pub, the oldest brewers in Britain and still brewing in Faversham, Kent. RS and MD will probably know the brew. (Don't take that the wrong way ladies, I'm not suggesting anything ;) )

This afternoon I have to find my seamstress skills to take up two summer dresses for my wife. She has never worn them because they are too long. The other day I took up a pair of her white trousers to make them into three quarters. No end to the boys skill :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, wouldn't it pay Mrs G to try clothes on at the shop before she buys them? Just thinking it could save you both a double trip! ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Just spoke to DH about Dungeness and Kings North Power stations, and he didn't actually work in them - he was building them! :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

This afternoon I have to find my seamstress skills to take up two summer dresses for my wife. She has never worn them because they are too long. The other day I took up a pair of her white trousers to make them into three quarters.

No end to the boys skill :lol:[/quote]

Wow ! Grandad a seamstress...........no end to your talents ;) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Grandad, wouldn't it pay Mrs G to try clothes on at the shop before she buys them? Just thinking it could save you both a double trip! ;)
Long story RS. If they don't have her size in stock in the local store she orders online. With the unreliable sizing of garments, quite often the online one is not a good fit so it gets returned. As you probably know, M & S have several brands and there is no consistency of sizing between those brands. :(
We don't really mind the repeated trips into town. It is a bit of fresh air and exercise and the bus stops are only about 150 yards from our home.
I know it would make sense to try on in store but other than outer garments she will not semi undress in one of those small changing rooms, and neither will I. :)