What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Do you mean Conway (Conwy in Welsh ;) ) castle Kiya? if so I have been there a few times. I can reach most of the castles in Wales quite easily so have visited quite a few, in fact my trip the following week will see us staying very close to Harlech castle. :up Harlech is quite interesting inasmuch as there is an oil painting inside the castle that shows it being replenished by a small boat being buffeted by the waves that is perilously close to the rocks below on which the castle stands, but now it is about ¾ of a mile from the sea as the estuary to the North has silted up. These castles are part of a ring around that part of the Welsh coast, many built or reinforced by King Edward I during his invasion of Wales using his ‘iron ring’ tactics for controlling the Principality. It is a while since I visited Harlech, but if my memory serves my right, it has a collection in one of the towers that displays all the Victoria Cross medals won by soldiers that fought the Zulu’s at Rork’s Drift in South Africa. The majority are Welsh with some English and there is also a roll call list of all the soldiers with typical Welsh names such as Thomas, Evans, Jones etc.

Take a look at this link to see all the Welsh castles: http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagaz ... esinWales/

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Yes Horus that is the one I meant, on the map & list with your link spells Colwyn & Conwy, I'm sure there is many spellings of the name.

Wow ! I didn't realise there was so many castles in Wales.

Enjoy your trip with Annie & look forward to seeing your photos :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Kiya :up by the way 'Colwyn & Conwy' are two different places although they are close together, it is the town of Conway (with the castle) that is spelled as Conwy in Welsh. ;) The Taffs do it to confuse us English (and Scots) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - love the "Castles of Wales" map. Haven't had a chance to look at it closely yet but is on my agenda to do so.

Doing the LOOP would make an absolutely fantastic trip :) particularly if you could set up camp (so to speak) and then do day trips with the car to all the different sites. Would be fantastic.

(Just might have to add that to the Bucket List of things to do :) Can just FEEL the history beckoning me. Definitely wish I was closer and definitely wish "I" had sites like that here.)

Today have been doing nada. Been waiting to hear from the daughter if they're going to need anything. Friday she had to rush the oldest twin to the ER as he was having difficulty breathing. I took the other two for an overnight while she was at hospital figuring out what was wrong with him. (Viral bronchitis) He is ok and dad + two are ok but she is starting to feel 'something' coming on her (all stuff'd up).

Spent yesterday getting everything watered and started putting my plants back in place as the painters are now finishing up with tomorrow being their last day.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Bit of a blitz on the housekeeping today and throwing a few bits in the van ready for Wednesday morning. My daughter brought me up my Sunday Dinner, some lovely roast beef with new potatoes, carrots, cabbage, broccolli, cauliflower, roast potatoes and Yorkshire puddings, very tasty :eat Will be watching a bit of Netflix with a nice bottle of Merlot and Annie for company. :wi
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

It's hospital day today. Two visits so we get a BOGOF :lol:
As mentioned last month, I intended to push for the cateract in my, very bad (glaucoma) right eye, to be removed. I actually got what I wanted without the need for any table thumping. ;) BUT, there were cautions that I had to accept. I already have other damage in the centre of the macular in that eye so any improvement would mean a loss of central vision. Also, because this is a pressure sensitive eye, the surgery could disturb this and remove any sight that remains in that eye. As at present with the glaucoma and cateract it is effectively blind, it is an easy decision to proceed and hopefully have the surgery within 3 months.

That was this mornings visit. This afternoon Mrs G has an appointment at 3.30pm for another injection in her wet AMD eye. That will make 34 injections in the last 3 1/2 years. As my eyes are still very dilated from this morning it will have to be a taxi both ways. :xx
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - I think I'd of made the same decision. In way there isn't much left to lose and if there is any gain it is only + + + :) Keep us in the loop of how it goes :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Grandad - Keep us in the loop of how it goes :)
Will do LLL. Apparently I will first have an appointment for them to take measurements to determine what lens to insert. Succeed or fail, I am looking forward to the procedure......nothing to lose really.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I find the medical advances amazing and equally amazing to me is how they can work on such a small scale. I am now finding it difficult to SEE to thread a needle and I can no longer see much of print without my glasses. With any luck it'll improve you :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yesterday and most of this morning I've been staining gates and fences. I had the guy come and stain the shed, stairs and all the bits and pieces that you had to be climbing up ladders to do. Now that they're done I'm standing and doing all the rest - the gates and fence panels. Don't mind staining too much. It is kinda mindless but as this is oil based it is a bit of a pain scrubbing off any bits of stain that get onto me.

The weather has cooperated a tad in that the intense heat of last week is now gone (WHEW) and the last two mornings have been a bit overcast so have been out there capitalizing on less than full sun weather.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just shopping today. I guess Horus is in North Wales as we haven't seen him for a couple of days.
Hope you are having a nice time mate and that the Hyundai is working well. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

As for Horus - isn't this the inaugural set out? Hope it all goes well with no hitches or glitches.

:sd: :a65:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:Just shopping today. I guess Horus is in North Wales as we haven't seen him for a couple of days.
Hope you are having a nice time mate and that the Hyundai is working well. :up
Actually folks we have just got back from a short 3 day break in the forrest, Annie loved it, lots of long walks. The new car performed well and is far more powerfull when towing and can easily manage my existing caravan with room to spare, although it was a bit more hassle reveresing it into my drive than the other car, mainly due to the length and width that limits my steering in a norrowish road. My manouvre entails reversing down hill quite steeply and into my drive which is also steep downhill again at 90 degrees to the road, so quite tricky at times. :(

I am doing a quick provisions stop over this weekend before shooting off to North Wales next week for another 4 days. I had not intended to be away this week, but my mate phoned to ask if we would like to join them, in the end it finished up with 3 lots of near neighbours all at the same place which was nice :up and Annie was in her element with all the people she knew fussing her when they saw her again. :D The weather was great and it has only rained today when we arrived back, hopefully next week will stay nice.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ok H, so if we don't hear from you for a few days next week we will know where you are. Glad you found the extra torque a benefit.

My broadband was down for a couple of hours this morning :xx I received a renewal notice for the house and contents insurance. I phoned to pay it straight away and, surprise surprise, their system was down and they will call me on Monday. Again :xx :xx We are just too dependent on the internet and systems these days so that a glitch at someone like an insurance company can lock up their business. Not good enough.

Just pottering this morning then the ladies Wimbledon final this afternoon. I am supporting Venus but I hope it goes to 3 sets. Don't want her to get her £2.2 million too easily.

And LLL, keeping you in the loop. I had a letter this morning advising an appointment next Thursday for pre assessment for my cateract surgery. That is quick for us but the actual operation may be a little further ahead.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - that IS really pretty darn quick re: medical letter albeit for the assessment only. Pretty fast. Will be interested to hear the assessment.

Today I'm not too sure what I'm going to be up to. It is 4:30am and I am awake. Not sure what woke me up if anything actually did. The Bullfrogs in the marsh are in full RIBBIT RIBBIT mode but I've long since adapted to that incessant noise and can sleep right through it. Not hot, not cold so not too sure why I've had a restless night and finally woke up fully enough to come out and make a cup of tea.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad don’t be surprised by your swift appointment as they are pretty much on the ball in that area. You will also find that they will prioritise you on a need basis, so if they consider you require an early operation you will be placed higher in the for surgery list. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I hope you are right H. Sight is the sense that would be most difficult to live without in my opinion. The cataract operation is so simple and inexpensive these days and it can make a big difference in quality of life. I will keep you informed as the process goes along....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Don't get too optimistic Grandad, the cataract op can only take your vision back to what it was like prior to the lens clouding over, it will not remedy other defects or problems. What it may do is to make your vision better due to the lens implants behaving like prescription glasses and so your general vision will be better as if you were wearing glasses all the time, but that in itself is a big plus. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes I do understand that H. This is my glaucoma eye. The glaucoma affected the left part of the visual field. As the quality of the vision to the right of the field declined, I assumed it was the glaucoma spreading across the retina. It has reached a point where I have little more than shadowy outlines in that right side.
At my last eye test a month ago, the optician said there is a well developed cataract in that eye. When I went to the hospital last Wednesday the optomotrist said the cateract was so dense he could not see through to the macular. On this evidence I assumed that the slight vision that I have is probably being considerably reduced by the cataract.
I put that theory to the optomotrist who went to talk to his senior who agreed that the surgery should be scheduled. I know there are risks and it might not make much difference but in my opinion it is worth a try and there is nothing to lose because the eye at present is effectively blind.
As I said, I will let you know how it turns out.......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well what you have said is a plus inasmuch as once the cataract is removed there is a good chance things will improve, just didn't want you to get your hopes up too high. ;)