What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

A bit like the weather section, but put in here what you are doing today. :up

Me? well I may give shopping a miss today and put up the new wall bracket for my latest TV as I decided to hang it on the wall. No doubt that the exercise will be fraught with problems, but it has to be done. I also have a new mobile phone and I hate it, bloody thing is too complicated and very sensitive and my large Engineers fingers keep touching things they should not, so I need to get to grips with that a bit better. I also need to sort out my internet in the living room and that looks as if I will need to hard wire a long ethernet cable through the loft from my router to the smart TV, again not an easy task, so busy busy. ;)

Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Jayway »

Well, in my house its peace and quiet and drizzly rain outside. I have squeezed 3 oranges for this mornings drink, done a whole lot more for the freezer, summer slushies. I was thinking of tidying up, then I thought of sweeping the carpet, then I made the fire up instead and opened up the wonderful world of the internet - - -
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Boring day I'm afraid. Thursday morning is weekly shop and as Mrs G's eyes prevent her from driving any more I do the taxi job, get the heavy stuff like milk and other liquids ;) then wait in the car and go back when she reaches the check out.....see what I mean by boring :(

Was going for a walk but decided it is too cold so replenished all the wildlife feeders and will keep cosy and warm indoors and Like Jay, enjoying the wonderful world of the internet :lol: :lol:

H, turn your smartphone on its side, the keypad is easier to use.
Would it not be easier to use wifi boosters rather than going all over the house with ethernet cable?
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I'm doing the usual boring stuff around the house...........cleaning on top of cleaning ;) still cant get used to living alone, Roy should be back & me cleaning up after him ;)

Done some clearing out of old photos from computer.

Had to rush doon toon to post birthday cards for my grandson.

Back home with a nice hot coffee in hand, think I'll just sit & do some knitting now............just cant sit & do nothing.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad to see that Kiya is on top of the housework ;)
Never thought of that with the phone Grandad, will give it a try :up
As to the Wi-Fi, well yes I agree, but I have never been one for doing it the easy way :roll:
In some ways it would be easier to just get some exterior Ethernet cable and run it either around the house or maybe through the loft. Surprisingly enough if you get the black cable and black clips and run it along the damp course brickwork it is hardly noticeable, so one hole through the wall where my modem is located and go through the same place at the other end as where the Sky dish cables come in near the TV and its done. The thing about Wi-fi is that it can never be as good a signal as you would get from an Ethernet cable connection, you often find that the speed almost doubles when connected by cable as against wireless. However I have not ruled that option out yet, I am waiting for Robbo to answer my question and in the meantime I may try to get this 'wireless extender’ working that my mate gave me and see how it goes, watch this space. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today - this morning I'm waiting for man who washes the exterior of houses to arrive and give me an estimate. The back side of this place goes really high and the peak seems to algae up quickly. I'm thinking it is cause of the hot tub steam - always moist air. Then I'm waiting for the painter and carpet layer to arrive so I can get estimates for these on the suite. I've also been on the phone and confirmed with a gardener who will come this Saturday to dig out about 12' feet of hedging (that blocks the view of the marsh) and 1 single hedging tree that was planted against the back fence. It was probably 15' high and has 3 or 4 central leaders so was growing wide. I was able to cut it back to about 6' high but it adds nothing to the garden. Almost like it was the last hedging tree left and so they threw it in. Am going to plant an apple tree in that spot :) Other than waiting for everybody to arrive I'm sipping tea today. Raining sideways with severe weather warnings out.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I seem to remember it was a bit of a faff but not so technically baffling I couldn't do it. It was a case of plugging it in, going to their website and pairing up the plug in with the router. the first plug has to be plugged in close to the router and an Ethernet cable goes into that one. Once paired up, you can move the second one around the house as you go.

If I didn't have thick sandstone walls and such an old house, I would have gone down the Ethernet cable through the house personally as you say, the speed and capability is much better than any booster.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A bit of serendipity this evening :up I was putting up my wall bracket for the new TV and to be honest was making a right arse of fixing it to the wall. The problem is that it is plasterboard over breeze block so you sometimes get a gap between the plasterboard and the inner block wall behind it and this results in all sorts of fixing problems. I must have tried every fixing type in the shop and not one of them held firmly enough, so I was about to leave it until tomorrow to finish it off as I had more holes in the wall than enough. :( Just then there was a knock on the door and it was a neighbour of mine, a real good mate, he asked me what I was up too and I showed him the job at hand. "I really need to get some of those expanding bolts that are used to fix double glazed windows as they are long enough to reach the block wall" I said. He turned on his heels and was off, I had just poured us a cold beer when he returned with the afore mentioned items and ten minutes later we were lifting the TV up onto the wall bracket, so that's another job done. :up My biggest problem is that although I will help anyone I tend not to ask for help myself and forget what bloody good mates I really have, he actually called around for some advice from me about buying a welding machine and ended up helping me with my job, but isn't that what makes life so good. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds like a great end to a day - AND - now you can get to enjoy your TV. Hope you've got your feet up and watching a good show ;)

Have a question though - is your TV a totally flat screen or is it slightly concave? One of the tenants here just bought a new TV and while it is also huge it is slightly concave. This apparently means it doesn't matter where you sit you can see the screen.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

One question H? How high did you fix your TV? I have sometimes thought about wall mounting but as a TV in a lounge is usually on a TV stand quite low, how much higher would you wall mount?

I like the sound of your 'from me to me' prezzie. Is it one of the very thin screen type? (Whoops, another question :lol: ) I was looking at them in John Lewis after Christmas and was surprised how screens are now so thin.

This is my TV position in a corner of the extension and about 10 metres from my modem. I have a broadband extender plugged into a power point near the modem connected by ethernet cable to the modem. There is a similar extender plugged into a socket behind the TV with an ethernet cable to a Youview box. I am not aware whether or not this extender boosts the wifi but both my wife and I can stream to tablets. She sits on the settee nearest the TV, I sit at camera position.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Bravo!! for good friends :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Days don't get much more miserable than today. Cloudy, grey and drizzly rain. Only upside is that it is milder but still not a day to venture out. So, apart from the taxi job taking Mrs G into town then collecting her when she has spent some money, I have just caught up with a few jobs indoors.

I realised that I have not backed up my computer since I bought a new one 6 months ago, so that was my first priority.

My camera bag was next for a spring clean. I made sure all spare batteries were charged but I now feel that I need a new bag as my cameras have grown from one to three in the last couple of years.

See what I mean, and no room for the X10.

Charge spare mobile phone and send a text to myself to keep the SIM live. And that is about it, boring isn't it. But tomorrow promises better weather so must find somewhere to go or Mrs G will be getting 'cabin fever'

At least I have a date with Missy, my 4 legged girlfriend, at around 5pm
:lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, the new TV is described as being 'Ultra Slim' whatever that means, but at the widest part its no more than about 65mm and very lightweight compared to my old LCD TV which was a lot smaller.
I haven't measured the height as I just guaged it at what I thought was a nice viewing height from my usual lounging position on the settee, but maybe from this picture you can get some idea. I would say that the surface to the right of the fireplace is similar to your TV stand which is in my case 19" then from the top of that to the underside of the TV is another 14" and then another 26" to the top of the TV, so floor to top of TV is 59"
Excuse the mess as the boxes and cables or not sorted, the work is still in progress. :sd

@ LLL, I did look at those curved screens but to be honest I could not see any real difference :ni: and as you are supposed to view them from a central position to get "that Fully Immersive experience" I did wonder what happens when someone is sitting to one side?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ah yes! That looks good H :up I asked because you sometimes see in peoples homes and the TV apperars to be too high for comfortable viewing.

As for the curved screens, I looked at them as well at JL. They seemed to be very much more expensive with very little viewing advantage.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

So far I am finding the viewing height OK, in fact I am even prepared to move the bracket if I find it is not suitable in a couple of days, hence the delay in finishing off the installation. Maybe it is an age and eyesight thing, but try as I may I could not see any advantage with those curved screen TV's :ni:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Re: curved TV - I have been shopping myself for one and only saw the one I saw in a tenant suite as he has just bought it. I asked him the 'why' of a curved TV and his reply was that it made it better for everybody sitting about the room seeing it ... but ?? I don't think I've ever seen a new curved TV turned on to experience it.

As for height - when you go to the theatres the screen as 'up high' while at home a TV can be anywhere from 2' off the ground to mounted on a wall. I'd think the only determining factor would be IF it is so high you have to artificially tilt your head up from a sitting position BUT if you're reclining back you're probably naturally looking that much higher anyway.

In the living room the TV is about straight on for me sitting on a recliner but in the bedroom I've actually got the TV sitting on top of a 4' high chest of drawers but when I'm in bed staring at it that height seems best for viewing. Ultimately whenever I get a carpenter guy in here I've got a bracket to hand it on the wall so it'll be going up a bit more however that isn't really a disadvantage.

About the only disadvantage I do see of hanging a TV on the wall is dealing with the cords and finding a decently looking thing (don't know the name) but the long thing that goes down the wall to hold all the cords together and then being able to put something in front of it to kinda 'hide' it from view.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I haven't done much of anything. Made bread this morning, visited with the dtr and grddtr when they stopped by coming back from the pool. Weather isn't saying "come outside" so I haven't particularly MOVED yet. Watching TV and drinking coffee.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I am back at my desk as usual. I have 34 days left till the great escape to London and on to Luxor :D
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I will be doing a bit more tidying up and finishing off the TV project (hopefully) although I was out last night with a mate of mine, so still feeling a bit fragile and lacking any real enthusiasm. :zz
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Quite a bright sunny morning so I got off my backside and went to the nearby RSPB National Nature Reserve. It is about 7 miles from my home and mostly along the narrowest of country lanes. Mrs G finds such outings boring, no M & S or John Lewis along the way, :lol: so I went solo and with some limited mobility her last words were 'Don't fall in'. :tk
Most of the countryside is looking very barren at the moment and the reserve is no exception. Even the wildlife had deserted so not one picture of a Marsh Harrier or a Bittern this morning. Having made the trip I HAD to record some images and here are those that I kept. There is a 'scrape' at the Grove Ferry end of the reserve and it would probably have been better to go there where there would at least be some waders.

This is the map of the reserve that is about 2.5 miles long from Stodmarsh to Grove Ferry.
This is a reed bed along the path from the car park to the Reedbed Hide. The path was cleaner than I expected after recent rain.
View from one of the Reedbed Hide windows, not a feather to be seen. By this time it had clouded over.
This is the path towards Tower Hide but some people told me there was nothing there either, so I went back to the car park.
At the car park there are toilets and a little shelter where you can sit to change your footware. A chalkboard is there for anyone to record their sightings, only one Elephant and one Tiger so far this year. :lol: :lol:
On the way home along the lane I did just stop to take a pic of Higham Farm nestled in the countryside. By this time I was desperate to take a picture of anything whether it moved or not. :(