What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

It is getting a bit tedious now Grandad and what annoys me most is that the Tories had a clear lead and then some idiot decided to alienate its core voters and remove the pensioners triple lock (for what little good it was) threaten their Winter fuel payment and make them pay for getting dementia as opposed to some other illness, thus snatching defeat from the jaws of a certain victory. I must confess that although it will probably make a small difference to me, I did wonder what it was all about and it made me think twice if that was the way it was likely to go. However I will vote for the Tories as the alternative to me does not bear thinking about if labour gets in, although if it were anyone else but Corbyn, Abbot & McDonald I may have given them my vote as I liked SOME of their policies, the militant wing of the labour party have a lot to answer for in getting him elected as party leader. :roll:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I planted two ferns. I planted 2 ferns because Grandad and Horus plant ferns sooooo having to keep up with the boys "I" planted ferns today too! :) Tassel fern and Autumn fern. They both seem indestructible and live in the minus minus minus range plus neither seems to need SUNLIGHT which NEVER happens here anymore anyway! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ferns are good :up I have several in the shady part of my garden, remember to hack them back to the ground in the late Autumn ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lots of wild ferns here that seem virtually indestructible. They never die but they're also huge. I have them growing on the bank in the backyard and even though the guy (when making the wall) walked on them, threw dirt on them and otherwise wiped them out to almost nothing they grew back. I figured what the heck and so have bought 2 varieties that are not so big, hopefully will grow in pots in the shade at the front of the house.

Got this 'condo' birdhouse erected on a post in the backyard today too (FINALLY)!

In this photo to the RIGHT of the post the bird condo is on you can see on the fence one whitish board. That is bare wood where I scrubbed it. Decision time re: the fence. It is in horrendous shape and growing mould & algae & slime. Half the original stain is worn off and, as per the neighbor was only ever stained once. Granted I've been here two years and just getting around to it myself but "geez" I've had LOTS of other things to do too.

I'm going to have to strip the entire fence of all the old stain so that I can stain it again with semi-transparent stain (if I want to remotely try and see wood grain) again. OR I can cut my losses and just stain the fence with an opaque stain OR leave it to just weather out over the next few years, rot away and then replace the entire fence. Wish I'd been a bit more selective about WHERE I decided to scrub the fence but this board seemed a good idea at the time ;) (DUH!) cause it is seen from the deck and is now bothering me LOTS.........(how to annoy yourself in one easy step)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You are certainly close enough to the woods (and is that the lake behind?) to attract the birds and wildlife. I like the bird condo although I would ask if you are likely to get more than one pair of birds occupying it? Here in the UK you would not get many species other than House Sparrows that would nest communally, having said that it does look nice. As to the fence, can you not get the stuff that we get here which is basically an environmentally fence paint (water based) in various shades from ‘Redwood’ to various pastel shades of green & blue, some types are spray-able and can be used with a cheap pump up spray device, they work well enough if you dont have to be too careful about a bit of over spray.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The fence looks pretty clean to me. If you are not happy with it, why not give it a quick pressure wash, let it dry, then paint as suggested by Horus.

My patio door faces north, not the best direction. To improve reflected light into the extension via the large patio door, I painted the fence light cream. That works very well and also gives a good background for pots and plants.

And before you ask, NO, my geraniums are not that far on yet. ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The birdhouse is more for "looks" than being functional. You can't really tell from the photo but it is relatively out in the open so I highly doubt any birds would nest in it anyway.

There is LOTS of wood here to be pressure washed all around the deck and stairs and that has been done and it was pressure washed to strip off the old stain. Once that job is done and complete (the guy is here today sanding down all the rough spots pending he'll start staining once it stops raining!) I'll think about the fence.

Part of my thinking is that fence isn't really that terribly solid. It is, as per the neighbor, something like 10 - 12 yrs old and it was one of the pre-fab fences of cheap panels so am not too sure how much effort and $$ I want to put into it vs just replacing it but am thinking it will last out for another 5 or 6 yrs soooooo ??? Probably going to leave it but want it to look nicer 'til it really falls apart.

BTW Grandad - your geraniums do look lovely. I have one growing out front but it has been such a terrible year with bad weather it is not moving much at all - only 2 flower heads and I probably no new leaves since planted. Nothing much is moving.

@ Horus - out behind me is an Eco Park. The water you see is part of a marsh that is bird sanctuary. The only drawback to it being an Eco Park is that you're not allowed to touch anything in it and so no way can anybody get close enough to the water because of scrub brush and trees to really see the birds. Rather makes the "park" useless because you're walking on a gravel road through trees but you don't/can't SEE anything. If they made a few landings to SEE the water and birds it would be a much more pleasant walk. As you go to the far side of the marsh it becomes basically wilderness (albeit with the main island highway going through it) so can get all the animals coming through here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I believe that I have mentioned before that I would have another eye test shortly after the series of three injections in my left eye following my problem with that eye early in March.
I had that test on Wednesday and as my VA is back within legal limits I am driving more once again.......but I won't be driving to Scotland any time soon :lol: I have ordered new glasses to the new prescription.
What was useful to me was the opticians assessment of the cater acts in both eyes.
My right, glaucoma, eye is effectively blind. BUT, he said the cater act is well developed. This set me thinking that perhaps the eye is not quite as bad as it seems.
SO I contacted the glaucoma department of the eye clinic and have an appointment 12 July to see my regular Doctor when I will discuss removal of the cater act to assess what vision is truly left in that eye.
If that proves to be positive, I will then ask for less developed cater act in my right 'good' eye to also be operated on.
So my eye test set me thinking ahead and I shall now make a nuisance of myself at the hospital eye clinic.
Sorry to bore you with all this but I know I am chatting among friends. ;)
Nighty Night :zz :zz
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd definitely have a discussion re: cataract removal. Having one of those peeled off and really improve vision. My dad actually had one removed AFTER he was diagnosed with terminal cancer (he actually didn't care if it was removed but the doctors insisted as his only hobby was painting and I'm assuming they wanted him to be able to enjoy fully one last activity - AND - maybe the surgeon doing the surgery was "in training" - who knows?)

I do know that he said after the surgery that he was totally amazed at how blind and blind to colour he had become. He commented that he could now see colour again quite vividly.

As for what I've been doing - finished up at the pottery studio for the summer. It closes end of this month and I've got most everything I've done glazed and home. Didn't want to buy another bag of clay and have it sit over the summer.

Then the last two days has seen nothing except torrential rain and temperatures way down there - 10 to 12C. Horrible for this time of year but I did manage to get 6 dianthus and 2 lewisia planted.

Tonight I've got all the grandkids doing a sleep over. We want for a walk to the school yard playground then up to the now logged off tree area, came home for hotdogs, had popcorn, watched a dog rescue show, read books and now they're sleeping. Bedtime has always come early for them however morning also always comes early :) They'll all crowd the bed and we'll watch Saturday morning cartoons. (They don't have cable TV at their house so it is a bit of a treat when they come here and can see cartoons)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That is encouraging LLL :up

I just hope they are not on a cost saving exercise when I have my appointment. If so I shall argue my case that I will be more of a burden if blind than the cost of a very quick cataract operation.

BTW, I just noticed the typo in my last post. Cataract was spelt as 'cater act'. Damn spell checkers :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm pleased that you are able to drive again Grandad, I have some idea what that means to you having been in a similar situation when I only suffered from cataracts.

As I have mentioned before I had my eyes done at a superb hospital in Cairo - Magrabi. The surgeons there were adamant that once cataracts have formed they will not improve and should be removed as soon as possible for the maximum benefit of the patient. Very occasionally they can reform, and in this case the hospital will arrange a second operation free of charge.

My life was transformed by the operation and I am continuously grateful to see the beauty that surrounds us.

Good luck Grandad. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad regarding the Cataract operation, all I can say is that having had BOTH my eyes done over the years it can make a vast improvement. I had my right eye done many years ago now when I was relatively quite young and it has a solid type of lens that was fitted over the hole in the lens after they remove the Cataract. Contrary to popular belief it is not something that ‘grows’ across the eye, but rather a clouding of the lens that focuses the light, so all they do is to remove a circular section of that lens and cover it with a replacement lens. My original operation had to be done under a general anaesthetic as back then they had to slice the eye open from the top to expose the lens area and that required tiny stitches around the top of the pupil to sew it back into place again and the lens was held in place with very tiny butterfly springs on each side that slipped in behind the remnants of the old lens.

Some twenty odd years later I had the second (left eye) done and the operation had completely changed. I still had to have a general for medical reasons, but normally it is done under a local anaesthetic while you are awake and is all over in about 15 minutes. They no longer cut the eye open, but work from the side using small needles that allow them to access the lens and remove a small portion and to flush out any waste material. The new lens is incredibly tiny and flexible and is put in visa a hollow needle where it is rolled up like a scroll, once into position it amazingly unwraps itself across the aperture and stays there permanently similar to a contact lens. They have truly come a long way since my first one was done and once my eyes had settled down (maybe after 6-8 months) I found I no longer required my driving or reading glasses, which is great. On a more interesting note, although I too have glaucoma it is only in my left eye! In other words the eye that was not operated on all those years ago, it seems to be well controlled as each check up visit goes OK, so I suspect that having the early cataract operation may have had some impact in reducing the build up of pressure in my right eye that subsequently caused it in my left (non-operative) eye.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD and Horus, I am sorry but I missed your posts on the subject of cataracts. Thanks for your comments, it's good to hear of firsthand experiences. When I saw the eye Doctor she did seem to lay it on a bit about 'risks'. Of course I appreciate there are risks in any surgical procedure but I also know, as Horus has explained, cataract surgery has moved on and the risks have reduced considerably.
I still hope to persuade my glaucoma doctor to remove the cataract in that eye because I really feel that there is more sight left than the cataract will let me see. Watch this space ;)

But back to today. The elderly lady neighbour who passed away 3 weeks ago was cremated today. I am not a supporter of these formal funeral and cremation services but we did attend to show our respects to a neighbour of 48 years. Her daughter in law arranged everything and I must admit it was a very nice service with excellent music. At the end, as the curtains closed Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending was played which I found appropriate (for those who believe) and inspirational.
When you exit by a side door (don't want to clash with the next lot forming outside in this production line) you go out onto a balcony that looks over some Kentish countryside. This is quite beautiful and almost looks 'inspired by Capability Brown'

Drinks and refreshments were arranged at a pub just a couple of miles away and this lovely little country pub (The Black Robin at Kingston, Kent) completed the very enjoyable event.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I was once again suckered into helping a neighbour, :urm: but seriously I don’t really mind, I will help anyone its in my nature. So he had just bought himself a newer longer caravan and as his double gates opened inwards into his drive he would not be able to get his car in behind it and close the gates as they would hit his car in the side. So my solution was that we would cut off the old hinge & peg assembly and weld on new ones to raise the gates off the ground by another 100mm, this would allow them to open outwards onto a sloping drive without hitting the ground. Of course I also needed to remove and replace the gate latch and plates as they were now on the wrong side, all went well and my neighbour is well pleased, so a good result again.

On a more sombre note, my moggy who is now approaching 22 years old is looking a bit jaded, it may just be the hot weather but she is not really eating or drinking and is just sleeping on the patio with very little movement or activity. I have tried to coax her with bits of chicken and saucers of cold milk, but I am getting little interest and she just sits in that typical paws tucked under her chest with head down position or sprawled lengthways asleep. She does not look in any actual distress and I am reluctant to take her the vets as they will just want to mess her about and do useless tests, so I would rather she just faded away at home. This morning I was actually surprised to see her still here with us and although she made a bit of a meow for food it was nothing like her usual self and she ate very little. She was never a sit on your knee cat and did not appreciate being stroked much, but she has been a good cat, very clean and really no trouble and I shall miss her when she is gone, which I fear may not be too long now. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Talking cats; our youngest son acquired two kittens about 9 months ago. They are well bred and very nice cats. My son insisted on them staying indoors until they had all their jabs and were neutered. They are now free to roam day or night BUT the usual cat flap problem raised its head.
He has now installed one through the wall with an electronic sensor which is programmed to only allow his cats to come through the cat flap, by recognising their chips.
Isn't technology wonderful ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think the decision not to take your cat to the Vet is a good one H. They'd want to examine and poke and prod and that is probably the last thing that is needed right now. Best to let her be and let her have her time in peace.

@Grandad - technology IS pretty wonderful if you can put in a cat flap that only recognizes certain entrance and exiters! ;) Putting one in here would let in all manner of critters :sd :o

Personally I wouldn't mind having a cat IF it was primarily an outside cat. Am allergic. Not terribly terribly allergic but sufficient I can't have one around but I don't mind petting, playing etc outside. They'd be more than welcome on the decks where all the chairs are but ......... on another note I can't bring me to get a pet and then restrict it to outside.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was just re-reading the following post from Horus and I'd like to mention that my operation was slightly different ;)
I was extremely nervous about having my eyes touched as I remember very clearly having a stye lanced by a nurse when I was 4 years old. I can see that scalpel now :a82:

Anyway, because of my fear on the first op I didn't have an injection but drops which deadened the feeling in my eye and clouded the vision. As a result when the drape with a small opening was put over my face I just saw light - no movement and no feeling, even when the tool to keep the eye open was in place. A few days later when I had my second op I had an injection as I'm not worried by needle at all. Both completely pain free.

The 2mm incision was at the top of the iris, where it would later naturally be covered and protected by the eyelid.

A hollow needle was inserted and the cataract broken up by sound I believe. The remaining remnants of the cataract were syphoned out through the same needle leaving the lens capsule in place.

While the hollow needle was still in place the rolled up plastic prescription "lens" went into the lens capsule and unrolled as per Horus's account

A temporary dressing which was removed after about 20 minutes to check all was ok and I could see very well. An eye patch was recommended to sleep in for 3 days plus drops for a couple of weeks. I could not wash my hair or let my eye get wet for 10 days and that was it except for two check ups, one at two weeks and the next after a further month. I had 20/20 vision for my age which meant I no longer needed glasses for driving or anything except small print straight away.

From beginning to end it cost £1,250 altogether for both eyes and including all examinations - with a guarantee that if a cataract should re-grow, then it would be removed free of charge.

Actually one of the chaps working on my second eye was chatting during the procedure, telling me that he was also a consultant most of the time in the UK but was demonstrating a new technique which was being used on my eye.

I had no settling in period, just saw clearly better than I ever had in my life before.

I am deeply grateful to have my sight restored.

Horus wrote:Grandad regarding the Cataract operation, all I can say is that having had BOTH my eyes done over the years it can make a vast improvement. I had my right eye done many years ago now when I was relatively quite young and it has a solid type of lens that was fitted over the hole in the lens after they remove the Cataract. Contrary to popular belief it is not something that ‘grows’ across the eye, but rather a clouding of the lens that focuses the light, so all they do is to remove a circular section of that lens and cover it with a replacement lens. My original operation had to be done under a general anaesthetic as back then they had to slice the eye open from the top to expose the lens area and that required tiny stitches around the top of the pupil to sew it back into place again and the lens was held in place with very tiny butterfly springs on each side that slipped in behind the remnants of the old lens.

Some twenty odd years later I had the second (left eye) done and the operation had completely changed. I still had to have a general for medical reasons, but normally it is done under a local anaesthetic while you are awake and is all over in about 15 minutes. They no longer cut the eye open, but work from the side using small needles that allow them to access the lens and remove a small portion and to flush out any waste material. The new lens is incredibly tiny and flexible and is put in visa a hollow needle where it is rolled up like a scroll, once into position it amazingly unwraps itself across the aperture and stays there permanently similar to a contact lens. They have truly come a long way since my first one was done and once my eyes had settled down (maybe after 6-8 months) I found I no longer required my driving or reading glasses, which is great. On a more interesting note, although I too have glaucoma it is only in my left eye! In other words the eye that was not operated on all those years ago, it seems to be well controlled as each check up visit goes OK, so I suspect that having the early cataract operation may have had some impact in reducing the build up of pressure in my right eye that subsequently caused it in my left (non-operative) eye.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very much like my second operation MD although mine had to be done under a general. I am surprised that he used the words "grow again" as this is not possible because the clouded lens is removed, but I suppose there is always the possibility that the replacement lens becomes clouded in time, although that would be unlikely as the new lens is not vulnerable to the proteins that attack a natural lens and cause the problem. I do remember after the second eye was done I asked the consultant how long these new lenses would last for and basically his reply was as far as they were aware they would last forever, but only the passing of a good length of time would eventually tell. Here in the UK we get it done for free on the NHS (OK you have paid in) and they are pretty prompt in dealing with you, but what they will not do is to operate on both eyes at the same time in case of an infection starting up. I was once severely lectured when I suggested that it was only a minor operation about the risk to your sight if an infection did occur and he quoted some frightening statistics along the lines of:
Go untreated for 24 hours = 30% sight loss, untreated for 48 hours = 80% sight loss and blind within a few days if left any longer, it certainly made me observe all of the precautions. :sd
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You piqued my interest Horus, thank you, I do like doing a bit of investigating things that puzzle me instead of getting on with housework. :lol:

So, on the Magrabi website I found this:

Extracapsular cataract extraction technique

The surgeon makes an incision where the cornea and sclera meet. Carefully entering the eye through the incision, the surgeon gently opens the front of the capsule and removes the hard center, or nucleus, of the lens. Using a microscopic instrument, the surgeon then suctions out the soft lens cortex, leaving the capsule in place.

Phacoemulsification

Is a modification of the extracapsular cataract extraction. In Phacoemulsification, the nucleus is fragmented by an ultrasonic oscillating probe. The nuclear fragments are simultaneously suctioned from the eye. The size of the incision is smaller than the incision needed to remove the capsule in the extracapsular technique.

An intraocular lens (IOL) is a clear plastic lens that is implanted in the eye during the cataract operation. Lens implants have certain advantages. They usually eliminate or minimize the problems with image size, side vision and depth perception noted by people who wear cataract eyeglasses. They are also more convenient than contact lenses because they remain in the eye and do not have to be removed, cleaned, and reinserted.

https://www.magrabi.com.sa/2015/139/cataract

So in my own case the lens capsule was not removed as I had the Phacoemulsificaton technique.

So as the capsule is protein based I wondered if - using the information you gave - it would be possible though unlikely for the cataract to recur. So I paid a visit to Mr Google and found this site. http://www.glaucoma.org.il/cataract/sec ... can-return

Unfortunately I can't copy and paste it for some reason - but it does explain clearly what might occur, which I think is very interesting.

Thank you for inspiring all that Horus, I really enjoyed the research and understand that the cataract per se cannot reform, but cloudiness from residual cells migrating after the capsule has been emptied may cause cloudiness of vision which can be helped with laser treatment.

Now back to housework, or shall pot up some young plants...............? ;) :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow! This is almost reaching a point of DIY with all your experiences folks. :lol:
I have no concerns about anaesthetics in the eye, or the eye clamp or injections in the eye, My wife has had that procedure 34 times and me 18 times so to have a small slit cut would be no problem. Echoing what Horus has said, the main concern when we have injections is the risk of infection and although they always douse the eye with anti biotic they always give us a tube of cream or drops to use over the next day or two as a precaution.

I have a visual field test on Friday then see my eye Doc two weeks after....and.... I am now readily informed and will be pushing for some action.