What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

Good news I hope you are back soon Horus, we miss you. :up

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm fine folks, thanks for asking, still feeling a bit weak and fragile so just a quick pop in for a few minutes. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Good to hear from you H. Get better soon, best wishes from us both :up

My computer threw a wobbler this afternoon and would not repond to any mouse clicks, not even to shut down. I switched off manually and restarted but it did remind me that I had not backed up for a while.

I did that straight away and post this as a gentle reminder to you folks if you don't back up on a regular basis. ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not sure what I'm up to doing today. Yesterday it snowed all day although I did go out in the morning to get the yearly mammogram done (which was fast and easy with no wait as there were cancelations due to the weather which was nice as I arrived early hoping this would be the case - score ONE for me :up )

The sun is out so I am going to go out just not sure where yet as it is still an Arctic front so colder 'n the proverbial hubs of **** out there. It is supposed to rain tonight which means freezing rain so heading out tomorrow is going to be iffy IF the roads are all iced up.

Got the Dot going! For whatever reason it thinks it is linked to WestLake Washington (go figure) but it'll tell me all about the weather here and is answering questions. It doesn't like some questions: "Alexa, tell me the characteristics of elephants?" got a "I am still learning" and when I asked it to tell me 'facts' about elephants all it said was "they're the largest land animal." It was however able to list out ALL the names of ALL the characters of the latest Star Wars movie - which is a GOOD THING as that is the type of questions the "TWINS" ;) ;) ;) will be asking it when they are HERE!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Haven't asked it to play music yet or do much else but will do that soon.

I signed up when I was in the USA for USA Amazon Prime. I've always kept and maintained the American version of Amazon as I'm able to buy American books FREE for my Kindle. The site has sometimes asked if I want to "shop from Canada" and I've always said NO and life has been good. I've always made a point of buying FREE books whenever I'm IN the States too.

As per the daughters who only have Amazon CANADA the selection of what they get is pretty minimal so I've always wanted to maintain the link to the USA.

Long story short I subscribed to Amazon PRIME in the States hoping I would be able to get it here but No cigar. I knew I wouldn't get free shipping to here (but I can to the USA) and so far all the movies and TV on Amazon Prime are blocked here as well. I'd have to download like crazy when I'm in the States to see it here (and I'm not that inclined to do that) BUT I did buy me a new KINDLE that is bigger screen than the one I presently have (plus is LOTS newer as my old Kindle is about 8 yrs old) when I was there with lots of memory and storage so that I could download for when I travel (am easily bored sitting on a plane).

I haven't tried getting music yet here and guess I should.

I'm still in the 30 day free trial phase and have already indicated I want to cancel it BUT daily they're giving me the option to change my mind.

There could be a way to get it all figured out to get it to me here as geographically I'm directly across from the northernmost border of the USA but ?? Will work on it but am not holding my breath I'll really benefit.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Get well soon Horus :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Get well soon Horus, take care :hug:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I hope you've got a stock of leek and potato soup, Horus! :D Your family are vital at a time like this so thank goodness you showed your daughter how to make it! Get well soon - but don't rush it!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This flu bug is seemingly a real killer so best to take it easy and take care for a while until you're sure nothing is going to come rebounding back.

Today here is sunny but cold and although we're below freezing the forecast is for rain so 'woo hoo' FREEZING RAIN on the ROADS! Just what I'm up for - totally slick and sliding roads to drive on. GEEZ the weather has been bad lately.

The marsh is still frozen out back and I haven't seen any signs of the swans although they were still out there when I got back home last week. Hopefully they're just biding their time in a bit of unfrozen water on the other side of the marsh IF there is a small bit of unfrozen water over there (where the creek comes in) but they're definitely not walking on the ice.

Have made fresh hummingbird nectar and am putting it out there as the little guys are frequenting it often for a boost of energy.

Not sure at all what I'm going to do today. Nobody is around :( It is freezing cold out there :( Olympics are essentially over :( (although I think I'll get the closing ceremonies at some point today :) )

Alexa is being obtuse and making the choice to hear DC vs BC when I talk to her so I'm mostly getting info from her about Washington DC as silly girl thinks she is living in the State of Washington and in typical American fashion is opting to ONLY see & relate to all things American. How to bring her to reality and the shock of realizing she is actually living IN BC Canada!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My wife had her first eye appointment for an injection at the new clinic that I had moaned about in another thread. Our daughter and her husband were availble to do the taxi job so we set off early (appointment at 16.15) and went to 'Whitstable Castle', about 6 miles north of us on the Kent coast, for cream tea.

Whitstable Castle is built on the site of 15th century mine workings for Alum. This was called 'Copperas' and used to 'fix' the dyes in fabrics.

In the late 1790's the Pearson family had a residence built in the style of a castle. In due course as the familys fortunes changed, the castle fell into disrepair for many years. Pearson is still a well known Whitstable family name, mostly fishermen and seafarers.

More recently the castle has undergone a 3 million pound restoration and now has a tea room/restaurant in the orangery and the venue is also used for functions such as weddings. Here are two pictures, one from inside the orangery looking up at the Castelated top of the building, and the other outside from the garden.

Quite an interesting old building and a very nice cream tea. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Not moving far today. Just hunkering down before the new ice age arrives. :a55: :a55:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm geezing that "things come in three feeling"!!

MY gf who lives up island had some spotting of blood + pain. CT scan showed she had kidney stone(s) and one huge one needing removal asap as it was blocking a kidney. She had emergency surgery to remove it (the large one) and 7 other small ones. This was this past weekend.

Just had a call now from my daughter asking if I could babysit the crew tomorrow night as the In-laws gave her and the son-in-law tickets to a concert tomorrow night. The tickets also came with the guarantee of babysitting. Now the father in law has spotting + pain and has been diagnosed with a kidney stone. The daughter isn't sure if surgery is scheduled etc yet but GEEZ this is TWO in the past week..........

Definitely HOPE things are not coming in THREES as I have NO desire to share stone stories!

Today I'm picking the twins up at school as they're out at 1:25pm. Am bringing them HERE and introducing them to Alexa (the Dot).........

Sun is shining so it wil be a good but cold day here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

HaHaHa! Well I hope your gf and daughters inlaw or OK soon.

Get the boys to ask lots of questions and play their favourite music. I reckon they will like Alexa or if you wish change the name to Echo which is probably quite good for kids. Louis changed his to Echo.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Picked up the twins, brought them here and introduced them to Alexa. They had a blast asking questions!!

The first question - believe it or not - WAS "When did World War two start?" (THAT really caused me to pay attention) and the second was "When did Gordie Howe die?" (he is a famous Canadian hockey player). The questions then ranged from "how big is the plate on the back of a Stegasaurus - Alexa didn't know) to the length of a giraffe's neck, why is the sky blue, tell me a hockey joke and another and another and another to quite a few questions about Star Wars which then drifted to the Planets.

Personally "I" didn't know that Pluto is now considered a dwarf planet.

We didn't do anything related to music (yet) but they quite enjoyed Alexa particularly after they got the hang of asking questions.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, get the boys to insert the word 'Wikipedia' or 'Wiki' within their question, something like "Alexa, Wiki, (she then askes) "what would you like me to lookup?" they then say "Stegosaurus". They will get a fuller answer as it will reference the Wikipedia site and so read some of the entry for that subject before asking if you want to hear more. Sometimes if you say it quick enough like "Alexa, Wiki, Geordie Howe" she may start telling you the information straight away.

Here is a usefull one for mums and grandma's
"Alexa, set (insert name) a naughty timer for (insert length) minute"
So should read "Alexa, set Billy a naughty timer for one minute"
She replies "Naughty timer, one minute, starting now"
After the alloted time she will say "Your naughty timer is up" ;) :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Good to see you posting, Horus! :up Are you feeling better?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I bet the boys told mum and dad all about Alexa who knows everything, well nearly ;)
Interesting their first question. Does that mean that even at 8 years they are told about things like WWII in history?

It is very good as a timer. My #2 son has one in the kitchen and they use it as a kitchen timer, among other things of course.
Their son Louis has one in his bedroom and uses it as an alarm particularly when he has football training on Saturday morning and doesn't want to over sleep. :lol:
They have changed the key word from Alexa to Echo on Louis' Dot so there is no conflict because they have 3 in the house.

Right now mine is playing Irish folk music on my desk. :a24:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Good to see you posting, Horus! :up Are you feeling better?
Yes thank you RS, still coughing and spluttering, but feeling tired with little get up and go at the moment, everything is an effort. :zz
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Just go with the flow for as long as it takes, Horus!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Please take care of yourself Horus, perhaps make the most of being indoors for a change. Maybe Annie would like a bit of snuggling? ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mad Dilys wrote:Please take care of yourself Horus, perhaps make the most of being indoors for a change. Maybe Annie would like a bit of snuggling? ;)
MD, Annie always likes snuggling, she is never far away especially in the evenings when she snuggles up on the sofa and of course when I go to bed. I have been bit batting about doing a bit of watercolour painting when I feel up to doing something, still rubbish though :lol: