What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Just decided to buy myself an ‘action camera’ :D
No I am not going sky diving or anything like that, :lol: but I have often fancied getting one for several reasons. The main one is that when I go walking with Annie I usually take my small Nikon camera to take snapshots and videos of our walks which I sometimes put on here. This means I always have to hold the camera and keep it at chest height, this of course ties up my right hand. The other thing is I have always fancied filming what Annie sees as she is snuffling around and to get her view of the world. So although this camera is quite cheap it should come in handy and compliment my other camera stuff, it will also double up as a dash-cam for in the car if I wanted to. :up

I have also ordered a little harness for Annie that lets me fit it to her back or chest. Not sure how successful that will be as she is a bit short in the legs for it to fit on her chest and not really sure if I will see much looking over her head or even if it will stay in place very well. However it was only a few quid so worth a gamble, I will wait until it arrives before deciding if I need to get a chest or shoulder harness for myself as I don’t know what is supplied with the kit. This is my Christmas present to me, but it should provide me with some enjoyment and an interesting take on our future walks.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A light covering of snow this morning cleared very quickly.

I set the trail cam last night but the only visitors were the local pair of foxes and a cat. Hedgehogs are all now in hibernation but I had hoped to see a rat. I didn't so perhaps the foxes are keeping them under control.

QVC have a 'Todays Special Value' of an Amazon Echo for £69.96. Couldn't resist so have ordered one. Big demand so it will not be dispatched until !8 December. I shall regard that as a birthday pressie to myself for next Wednesday.

Talking of birthdays, our Millie is 16 today or as my daughter insists, 112 in doggie years.

Might start some Christmas prep this afternoon. :a52:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: So soon you will be talking to Alexa and not yourself Grandad ;)
And many happy returns to you and little Millie :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Up and running out the door to pick up the daughter as we're off to Vancouver for the day. Early morning Ferry crossing - Brrrrr!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

In the words of a child in a very famous film "They're back!" :D The snowflakes, that is!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Up and running out the door to pick up the daughter as we're off to Vancouver for the day. Early morning Ferry crossing - Brrrrr!
@LovelyLadyLux Whatever time of day or night was it when you posted this.? 6 am? Hope you caught the ferry and had a good day of retail therapy with your daughter. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I did post yesterday quite early as I was up and early to catch the Ferry with the daughter to head to Vancouver.

We actually had a very specific mission and it was accomplished.

Few months back I was going through my jewelry box and actually came up with a broken gold bracelet, couple rings that I never wear anymore (need the stones re-set etc) - basically a bit of jewelry that was gold so wasn't going to throw it out but didn't know really what I was going to do with it. The daughter found a Goldsmith over in Vancouver who would melt old gold into your unique design. The daughter essentially designed herself a pendant complete with the 4 small (and I do mean small) diamonds in the rings I had plus purchased a pinkish stone. We'd taken the gold before and design and this trip was to see and give the OK to the wax carving and placement of the stones. We did and will be back mid-to late January to pick it all up OR the daughters husband's brother (who lives in the area) will pick up and bring it over here.

Was a long day for a short appointment but we cruised the shops, I was able to get to the Art Store and buy 4 more tubes of underglaze paint for my pottery and the Sushi lunch was to die for.

On the Ferry home we ran into one of my oldest gf and her husband (both in their early 80ies) and had a good talk and catch up. They're off to Buenos Aires late spring for a week then getting onto a Princess cruise for 30 days of the Falklands heading south to 'chase penguins' as she put it to arrive back in San Diego, CA, USA.

Today I'm still having a cuppa and thinking what I'll do today ..... Saturday I was outside and cut down ALL the bushes & perennials and spent a couple hours tidying up in the garden. Gotta have that picked up before I can do anymore so - hmmmmmm.....
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux Sounds like a good bit of recycling LLL. I have done somewhat similar for my wife. She had a broken bangle and some loose scrap gold that I had melted and rolled to produce one new heavier bangle. That is not hallmarked.
On my travels I had purchased a few loose stones, two of which I had made into pendants by a jeweller in the city and these are hallmarked for London. I also had three sapphires that I bought in Sri Lanka made into pendants in India for my three grand daughters. They are also not hallmarked.
How about your daughters pendant, are there assay offices in Canada where it will be assayed and stamped?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I really don't know re: hallmarking and actually hadn't thought about it. The gold is 14K (and WAS stamped 14K) when we gave it over as this particular Goldsmith only works in 14K - 24K yellow. Wouldn't take 10K or white gold (not that we had any anyway) however what I never knew is that white gold doesn't really re-melt like yellow gold. Apparently the other metals mixed with the white gold don't take kindly to a re-melt.

This is the Website https://aurum-argentumgoldsmiths.com/ The lady on the extreme LEFT in the photo (Pernilla) is the Goldsmith and the picture of the rings in the middle (red rubies) with the bezel setting and swirls is in the styled design of what my daughter wanted for her pendant which is a basic oval, fixed bale and a center pink sapphire.

I'm actually quite happy she came up with a use for the few old pieces that I had kicking around and sitting in my jewelry box for years. There was nothing much I could do with them so am more than happy she now is getting a pendant out of it all.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, I think it is really good to recycle old jewellery and odd bits of gold rather than just selling for scrap. I like besel setting because the stones are secure. From what you describe, your daughter will have a stunning addition to her jewellery collection. One of the sapphires I bought for one of the grand daughters was pink, her birth stone.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Getting the pendant is plan #1 and only came about because I had old broken stuff.

IF the pendant turns out nice and there is no reason to believe it is not going to be stunning we've talked about taking a couple of the rings that are not broken just really old and I never wear them anymore and turn them into something more modern that I would wear or maybe for the Daughter or Granddaughter. My daughter herself has a couple of heart shaped pendants she got when she was younger to put into the pile so we're thinking that maybe there is enough gold there for something else one of us would use (not that a 4 yr old is going to get jewelry particularly gold yet) however will see how this pendant turns out first. I rather favour the idea of recycling the old into something new and using it again. The people here that buy scrap gold give you absolutely nothing for it and so long as the Goldsmith can work with it then bonus!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My turn for an injection last Tuesday, my wifes turn today so we are waiting for #1 son to take us to the Hospital for an early appointment. She has the full works today so we won't be home till after mid day and there won't be time to do much else. At least the snow has stayed away. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Good luck to the both of you Grandad.

I'm going to try to get a response from the Boiler Man who is ignoring my texts, phone calls and emails. I wanted to have the new boiler in by now but am on tenterhooks that it will finally die over Christmas when the family are here. :(

My youngest daughter's suggestion that he is attending to people who are in an emergency situation, doesn't really wash with me. I don't want to become an emergency.

He has previously been the most reliable tradesman I've met since coming here. He knows the front bedroom is like a fridge as he tinkered with it when he called to see what I needed.

For myself it's not a problem, I'd get a space heater and move it from room to room, but with a family over the festivities?

I will have to find out today by hook or by crook if he needs the job. though when I had big trouble with this boiler in the summer a couple of years ago I was let down by a succession of tradesmen who had apparently good ratings on the internet.

Wish me luck! :a20:
Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Our day started with the realisation that the car was frozen solid and we couldn't even get into it! :o Normally, this wouldn't have been a problem but we needed to be out by 9am to get to GD's school for her concert, in which she was playing the keyboard! Poor DH was out there scraping and defrosting while I nipped into the shower, and finally got the driver side open with warm water. We made it in good time and we were back by 10.10am. A hot drink, then DH went shopping and I got some sewing done. Last social occasion of the year for me, thank goodness, although DH has one more to go. Hopefully, I can get some washing done tomorrow! :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I am becoming a blonde again today! ;) Had the cut last week and now to be a blonde again this afternoon.

Other than that am going to head to another plant nursery to see if I can find orchid food and maybe head to one of the thrift stores by the grocery store (forgot to buy bananas yesterday) to see IF this time of year right before Christmas they have any orchid plant pots! (Probably not but I never mind poking through the thrfits).

Not too sure what else is on the agenda today.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My son called in today as he had taken a couple of days holiday he needed to use up before Christmas. He had his two dogs with him so Annie was jousting for pole position :lol: had I have known he was taking his dogs for a walk near to me I would have gone with him :( Anyway I am currently playing with my new action camera and all th ebits that go with it as Mr Amazon delivered it a couple of hours ago :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Action camera? As in you now have a "Trail Cam?"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@H - Action camera? As in you now have a "Trail Cam?"
No its one of those 'Go-Pro' type that you see skiers and BMX bikers recording stuff on, not that I intend doing anything that athletic :lol: :lol:
I wanted something waterproof that makes my videoing walks a bit easier without having to hold the camera all the time (I can use a chest harness or head harness) and .............. wait for it! ..................... I shall try to fit it on Annie and get some dogs eye view video, should be a laugh. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well we seem to have many readers of this particular thread (which is good) :up and if we disregard the fact that some will of course be 'Bots' there still must be quite a few guests looking in.
I started this thread back in January 2016 and we are nearly 2 years into this everyday chatting post, so why the comment?
Well its because today the viewing figures reached 1 Hundred Thousand! :o (100,000)
I may be wrong but I cannot recall seeing any other threads reaching that total of views and it is still rising.
When I realised it was about to hit this momentous mark this morning I took a before and after screen shot for posterity ;)

Well done everyone :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Didn't we do well chaps? Thank you for bringing it to our attention Horus. :up

Today I am looking for boiler men :( I managed to contact the chap of my choice and he sent me a simple estimate, namely remove old boiler and fit Baxi combi 630 boiler replacement ...............................£2,000 :o

Having peeked at Google it would seem the price for this boiler is likely to be £800+ to £900+. To take out one unit and fit another £1,000 seems a bit excessive, hence looking for other quotes. If only he had said this 3 weeks ago instead of saying "about £1,000" I'd be enjoying a worry free Christmas, at least as far as the current very unreliable boiler is concerned. :vs
Smile! It confuses people