What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

That really is lovely Ruby, :up

Smile! It confuses people
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks, MD. it's turned out better than I expected, seeing that not only did I make it - I designed it too! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:a25: :a25: :a25: :bl: WOW LOVE your QUILT :bl: :a25: :a25: :a25:

Wow RS your quilt is absolutely gorgeous! And I can appreciate ALL your work and efforts in that design! Now YOURS is definitely a quilt!!! BEAUTIFUL!!! :) :) Love the colours too - beautiful!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This week here is National Volunteer week so I'm going to a luncheon put on by the Canadian Blood Services where I volunteer then tonight (6pm) I'm going to an all Volunteers meeting there to hear the latest updates and where they're going as an organization. I try to volunteer with them for 1 shift each clinic they have. All I do is help the people off the Beds, walk them back to the table where I then stamp their card, offer drinks & cookies and watch that they don't start to re-bleed or faint. Mostly I LOVE to talk to everybody too and usually try and pick something from the news to chat about that isn't contentious. The Clinic happens in the gym of the City Sportsplex and is loud and quiet. It is odd and maybe it is because quasi medical procedures are being done it is always very quiet so getting people talking over thier cuppa is sometimes a bit of a chore.

Since the sun is out I'm not totally sure what else I'll be doing but going to have to go and do something!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks for the lovely comments, LLL, and I'm glad you like it. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well, I arranged for the council to take the old oven, but it was gone in a few hours. I noticed it just after the offices close, so will cancel on Monday.

While it was on the wall the lady Big Issue seller came and knocked on my front door and asked about said oven, saying that she didn't have one at home. I explained that it didn't work and was there for collection and disposal. I mentioned that the only working appliance I that I didn't need was an upright Dyson vacuum cleaner, in good condition but to heavy for me to use. If she wanted it , then call again tomorrow and I would have brought it downstairs and have it ready for her.

She came back today with her 14 year old daughter (who speaks excellent English) and asked where I wanted her to start!

Yup, she thought I needed a cleaning lady.

Soon sorted it out and though she was very disappointed, was grateful for the Dyson.

Lost in translation once again. :lol: :D

I often chat with her while she is on her pitch, she is Romanian, very polite, doesn't beg and usually sells the magazine if her husband's bad back plays up so that he can't stand for long.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today the daughter and I are taking the twins downtown to the Port Theater. The Victoria Symphony Orchestra is coming although not playing. What they are doing is allowing all the kids to see and try out their instruments (am sure not their BEST instruments). The twins are really excited to go to see and try them all.

The oldest twin is particularly into guitar (IF they have one in a symphony but am sure they'll have one there today as the focus is to intro kids to instruments) and the youngest twin wants to try out trumpet and saxophone.

Granddaughter is too young to come so she is off with her dad to Parksville to pick up some sets of biking gloves.

Once the morning is done and everybody back home our local Costco has fruit trees in. These are particuarly interesting because they've grafted all different types of fruit on them i.e. Apples have about 6 varieties, plums (I noticed had Italian, Greengage, Stanley and maybe a few more varities). Was kinda thinking I might try one of these. I have an apple planted just behind my fence and it seems to be doing well so am more interested in Plums.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Why is it there is so much to do after a short holiday. Loads of washing, shopping (that'll be tomorrow), emails to go through (I don't bother when on holiday, they can wait), all the credit and debit card receipts to go through and check they are entered on accounts (I am fastidious about all that stuff), download and sort pictures (I already discarded half of those that I took), switch everything back on that you switched off for safety (having had one charger explode I will not leave any switched on. I also un plug all TV aerials), go through the mail......
Right now that is all done so tomorrow will be a normal Monday (except for the shopping) :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I always used to think the same applied when I was working Grandad. I would spend so much extra time in seeing that everything would run smooth in my absence by preparing things for other people so they would have an easy time of things and then catching up on everything that others had left for me to deal with on my return that in reality I had not really had two weeks off work as I had already put in all those hours in extra work.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I can also remember that H. You can of course let your ego tell you they can't really manage without me :lol: :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Nice to see you back with us again, Grandad! Looking forward to your travel tales! :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Welcome home Grandad, glad you are back, :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good point Grandad, but I always had this poem pinned up on my office door, it kept me grounded. ;)

The Indispensable Man

Sometime when you're feeling important;
Sometime when your ego 's in bloom;
Sometime when you take it for granted,
You're the best qualified in the room:
Sometime when you feel that your going,
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow these simple instructions,
And see how they humble your soul.

Take a bucket and fill it with water,
Put your hand in it up to the wrist,
Pull it out and the hole that's remaining,
Is a measure of how much you'll be missed.
You can splash all you wish when you enter,
You may stir up the water galore,
But stop, and you'll find that in no time,
It looks quite the same as before.

The moral of this quaint example,
Is to do just the best that you can,
Be proud of yourself but remember,
There's no indispensable man.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love that poem Horus. I know it's by Saxon White Kessler, quoted by so many people including Dwight Eisenhower, but can you tell us more about him please? I'd like to read more of his work, and wonder where he lived and what his origins are. I have looked before on Google without success.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

He is actually a she MD ;)

"Indispensable Man" was originally published in "The Nutmegger Poetry Club under the name Saxon Uberuaga. It has also been published in "Boots" in Spring 1993, in "The Country Courier" 1996, "Rhyme Time" in Winter 2000, and in "Golden Times" in August 2003.

Saxon White Kessinger is a member (and past president) of Gem State Writers’ League and a member of Idaho Writers’ League. She is an award winning writer, receiving Idaho Writers’ League "2003 Lifetime Achievement Award," "Writer of the Year" in 1992, 1995, and 2002 and "Poet of the Year" in 1999 and 2000 from her Idaho State Leagues. She has published various poetry offerings and many articles in various newspapers and magazines.

This link may be of interest as it tells more about her plus there is a photograph
http://lmtribune.com/obituaries/saxon-w ... beb27.html
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you Horus, I think of Saxon as a male name, though there's no reason why I should.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Spent this morning finishing up another quilt. Used up TONS of my scrap fabric to make it. Just have to put the binding on it and it'll be done. It is a twin size or will fit onto a single bed.

Yesterday afternoon I planted another red peony, one Iberis and 3 creeping phlox. Most of the main gardens are planted but I do still need to poke the odd plant in here and there to fill gaps.

Am thinking I want one more peony (I have pinks and reds). Two are doing really well and have been flowering but the third was quite small when I planted it (or maybe I transplanted it from the other house). It will flower sooner or later but so far it is producing leaves.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It has rained all day up to now and doesn't look like stopping at all :( that has curtailed my outside job on the chicken coop. Spoke to the chicken breeder man today and he gave me some good information as well as availability for his point of lay hens, so that's all in hand. :up
Just done a bit of cake baking, I have done one especially for a friend of mine as she needs cheering up, so I made my special ginger cake as people usually tell me very 'more-ish' :eat
I had a blitz on all the missed housework yesterday and the day before so decided to Spring clean everything top to bottom, everything done including all the bathroom tiles (4 full walls) and I even gave the cooker a full internal clean using that lethal liquid cleaner :sd but it does do a good job. Conservatory back to normal, but the patio still a mess and my Garage/Workshop looks like a bomb has hit it, I may tackle that later :tk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have mentioned our little oak tree in the past. Well it is becoming a bigger oak tree and in summer it excludes the sun (when we have some sunshine that is :lol: ). As it is on the embankment which is not my property I had to get permission from the council to cut it back. That permission was eventually forthcoming and today a tree surgeon cut it back for me in preparation for summer time ;)
Here is a sequence of this afternoons one hour operation. Even when fit it would have taken me at least a day...

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Your tree SURGEON (always wonder why they call them tree SURGEONS vs Limbers or Cutters or Loggers) really knobbed your tree back. I wish they were that good around here cutting back some of the really high and therefore dangerous (they snap off tops and branches here during storms) trees here.

I'd prefer the sun to the shade of a tree too.

Today the sun is out here and it looks quite nice outside. Warm warm warm. Really bringing the plants on. All the hostas are poking through their pots, the peonies are up (no sign of buds yet) and the Japanese maple is leafing out nicely. Other perennials are now budding and in a few cases blooming too.