What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

You should object on as many grounds as possible, cite nuisance, noise, unsociable trading hours, unsuitable venue for this sort of activity so close to domestic dwellings etc. plus the usual fire, health and safety hazard of evacuating a confined space. Not to mention it lowering the value of the property and if allowed by the council you will be applying for a rates reduction because of this. ;)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I'd be complaining to anybody I could think of. I tend to send letters so it is a hard copy in their hand followed up by a phone call from me (vs just phoning). Most annoying and what would annoy me more is that "I" have to do something which annoys me to fix what is annoying me!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Just lost a post again!

The is a rough draft of an email to the Licencing Authority - it will be amended after a visit to City Hall in the next couple of days. I like to have ALL my little ducks in a row before I shoot.

There is a narrow private road next to where I live which was the only access to some old lock up garages for many years.
I was very surprised when permission for commercial development was given in this quiet residential area and specifically for licensed premises, as consumption of alcohol is not confined to the building.
Canna Deli is an excellent coffee shop and very popular, requiring the use of several tables in the area outside the run of premises. Alcohol may be drunk inside the premises but also is frequently consumed at these tables.
To the best of my knowledge only Canna Deli use this area both during the day as well as after 6.00pm.
It is a fact of life that people often celebrate with alcohol and often become rowdy. It is to be expected in public houses and hotels where celebrations take place. I did not expect it to be taking place just outside my house.
Celebratory Events have started again this year after a winter lull. Two events have taken place recently where the party went on until well after midnight. No warning was given in either case.
This is not a suitable venue for health and safety reasons as well as the threat to the enjoyment of local residents in their homes and gardens.
Parking in the area is very limited and there is only one access to the site often blocked by parked cars. In the event of an emergency it could be very difficult for rescue services to gain access or to evacuate the clientele.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds good
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had a meeting with my next door neighbour yesterday evening which lifted my spirits a bit.

He's ahead of the game regarding evidence with film of two Events one last year and the latest one which clearly show how crowded the venue was and the noise level. He also said the original permission was given for the cafe to have "One small table suitable for two people". He has no evidence to show this has changed, but as it happens he works in property and has just been promoted to a position in Savilles which is quite a big property company.
He is out of town today, but his new office is almost opposite the County Hall, which apparently in it's turn houses the departments we need. In order to cut down his valuable time I hope to go and suss out exactly where we need to go today - then tomorrow we will go together directly to the relevant offices.

Wish us luck! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That sounds really good MD, at least you have more support and evidence to back you up.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Get ready to do some table thumping MD. I have two actions running at the moment. One with the local authority and one at the hospital. I am finding that if you persist they will take notice. Good luck. :up
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The ducks are lining up quite nicely. ;)

It turns out that the Deli haven't asked for an extension of licence, but another premises with a similar name in the same road.
However, a note on the bottom of the notification of extension for licence includes an invitation to inspect the licensing register etc etc so removes a deadline and tells us exactly where to get our information.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: A day at the races?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

As I said on Saturday, I went to an exhibition at Sandown Racecourse yesterday. Nothing much to tell but I thought you might all be interested in the following:

2 prawn & mayonnaise sandwiches - £8.40
2 small cappuccinos - £5.80

Mmmm. No wonder DH prefers to take a packed lunch with us! :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - those prices - "wow!"

Today I'm just back home from running up to the appliance store to tackle a Repair guy to come here and look at a washing machine. It is one month shy of 3 yrs old and clanging and banging like a load is not balanced. Got a repair guy to phone tomorrow morning to let me know 'when' he'll get here to if a part is needed (a PART is always needed) and that will have to be ordered in so add another week or so........I absolutely hate it when appliances break and it seems more and more they break all the time. Nothing much made to last.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It seems to be about 5 years over here, LLL. If you have an appliance for that amount of time and it breaks down, repairmen just shrug their shoulders and suggest a new one! No wonder we've become a throw-away society - it's forced on us!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its the same with gas Combi Boilers, once fitted the plumber usually tells you its good for about 8-10 years, not bad at around £1500 each time :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I swear the washing machine we had when I was a kid (wringer washer) was older than me and probably is still running somewhere. Even my first automatic washing machine was built like a tank but now :urm: :urm: I bought a new washer/dryer set for the rental so I wouldn't have to run and mess with second hand old machines AND this one was touted as being a heavy duty model. $1800 for something that hasn't made it 3 years. Real pain as I'm sure I could have gotten a second hand oldie goldie for $50 and it might still be going!!!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Over the years I have accumulated a wide assortment of electrical connector leads. They have resided in the loft for ages and I decided to sort them out and dispose of the older style leads.
This is what the pile looked like before I started sorting.

The pile comprises every imaginable connector and after sorting this is what the pile looked like.

That's right, exactly the same as when I started. I am a bit of a hoarder and work on the principle that everything will come in useful one day, even old style connector leads.

SO, if anyone is ever stuck for a connector, old style or new, you know where to come. I just hate throwing things away.

The pile contains chargers, 5 pin DIN connectors, Scart, audio, 3.5 connectors of various styles, phone filters, HDMI, USB to all sorts, etc etc....
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You made me laugh out loud, actually I'm still giggling, you are a man after my own heart.

:lol: :D ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Going back to washing machines, I can't remember what the little ?carbon inserts are around the armature. Bushes or Brushes? It's like an ear worm - my mind keeps going back to that today.

Because so much traveling time was necessary for repairs to my electrical stuff the repair shop would ask for symptoms over the phone then I would stop off on the school run and pick up the necessary and fit it myself.

I had watched the above being fitted once, then did it a couple of times myself before I removed the old one and fitted a new armature. I really enjoy that kind of thing. The only slightly hairy thing as I was alone was tipping up the machine. I did wonder if it would slip and crack my shin bones, but no problem at all thank goodness.

It's pretty obvious that I have little idea of the names of things, just how they work. :oops:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Today I have been completing The Labyrinth Quilt for my grandson. It's meant to be 3D and I think I've achieved it hopefully! :D

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

WOW! :a66:
That is truly amazing - :oops: no pun intended.

It is indeed 3D no doubt about that. You are a very rare talent young Ruby. Very well done.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thank you so much for the nice comment, MD. I'm rather pleased with it myself and I hope my grandson will be too.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

RS, you have every right to be pleased with your work and to give yourself a pat on the back. All of your work that you show us is superb. :up

MD, those little carbon things are called 'brushes' and they carry an electric current and 'brush' against the copper segments of the 'commutator' which controls the magnetic 'flux' in the 'armature' that is attracted by the magnetic 'field' in the 'field windings' thus driving the motor. :lol: :lol: :lol: