What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - My father was a builder and built lots of rental unit and it came to me naturally to be a Landlord and over the years it proved almost necessary as an easy way to get write-offs as you fixed your rental units however the laws here slowly started changing over the years and now being a Landlord is akin to being a Tenants own social welfare agency! Even if they're trashing you place and not paying rent it is extremely difficult for a LL to get anybody OUT and if you do and they abandon their possessions the LL has to put these items into storage and keep them for up to a year!!! Saw the writing on the wall shortly before and after returning here so sold. Tenants can be a nightmare.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:No not the cable ends MD as these fall into several different types and in addition some leads that will fit into other devices will often not work for data transfer. I was referring to the actual charging plug that you often get supplied nowadays that have a standard USB outlet like this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Standa ... ging+plugs
My mistake, I have several of the above and very useful they are too. I have the one that came with the camera but it's 2 pin, so I have to use a three pin adapter in the UK. Gives me a useful plug for when I'm in Spain for kindle etc. though.

My problem is with the other end of the lead that actually goes into the device (don't know what it's called). The Kindle, Android and phone all use the same one, but on the camera it's a really tiny socket. Not surprising I suppose as the camera is also tiny at 9x6cm! I just have nothing else that small so was relieved to find the one that came with it. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@MD - My father was a builder and built lots of rental unit and it came to me naturally to be a Landlord and over the years it proved almost necessary as an easy way to get write-offs as you fixed your rental units however the laws here slowly started changing over the years and now being a Landlord is akin to being a Tenants own social welfare agency! Even if they're trashing you place and not paying rent it is extremely difficult for a LL to get anybody OUT and if you do and they abandon their possessions the LL has to put these items into storage and keep them for up to a year!!! Saw the writing on the wall shortly before and after returning here so sold. Tenants can be a nightmare.

That's dreadful! Not quite so bad here, but there are TV programmes on all the time showing people who have had their property trashed and not been paid any rent either. At least we do have a fairly recent law which gets squatters off the property a bit quicker.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A bit late in the season but I have just got the kit out to pressure wash the backyard slabs. They are looking a bit dirty and now that I have removed all the gravel and filled the gaps with mortar, it should be a cleaner and quicker job.
Mrs G will assist with the sweeping ;)
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I had to remove something nasty from my front "garden" and poured some neat bleach over the remaining mark.

I now have two lovely shining pale grey spots in an almost black area. :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD you need to get yourself something like this as it will charge most devices including phones, your camera most likely has the mini USB or micro USB end
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-Charging-C ... amera+lead
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Cheers Horus! I'll get one each for my family for Christmas! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just remeber that although they will charge all the devices listed, when plugged into your camera for example it is unlikely to be able to transfer any data from it and you will still need some kind of card reader to transfer your images.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Photos I store in my laptops - they and my printer have card readers which I find easier. :up

Lovely sitting in the sun here admiring the Mandevillas and avoiding going into the dark of the depths of the house where I should be doing something useful. Needs must when the Devil drives though.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Job done in about an hour. Used to take 4 hours when the gaps were filled with gravel, such a messy job then.

Nice warm sunny day today so it will all dry quickly. Thanks for letting us have our weather back H. I hope you kept some for yourself ;) 8)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

He's given us some too! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have had quite a busy day, first off I decided that I would put a 240v outlet on the side of my caravan, so I ordered up the part, that should arrive by weekend and done a lot of the preparatory electrics ready for when it shows up. :up

I then did another job that has been on the go for about 20 years but only took me 20 minutes to do. All that time back I put an outside tap on a wall near to the bottom of my drive and I put it about waist hight. For 20 years I have smacked my elbow on it walking past as I have this weird habit of walking close to the wall, well today enough was enough. After giving my elbow another good smack today I jumped on the job there and then and raised it to above head height, who says I don’t rush my jobs? ;)

Daughter texted me to say that my cushions should arrive back tomorrow, it should have been today but she had a problem with the velcro so she is putting poppers on instead. She also reported another egg today so that is 2 in 2 days from another hen (I think it will be the Rhode/Rock) as it was looking in fine fettle the other day, so hopefully they are starting to reach maturity very soon, that will make her happy. :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

H, Why do you need a 250v outlet OUTSIDE your caravan? Will this be a single socket and are you using MK Masterseal? I only ask because I did have some involvement in the original production of Masterseal.........
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad there is so much stuff you can use when caravanning today and as most people erect an awning it is useful to have a 240V outlet that saves you trailing an extension lead through a window.
I will not be using a MK Masterseal as such, but one that is designed to be fitted into a reset cut into the caravan side panel. They are not as weather sealed as the one you describe which always strikes me as a little bit odd, maybe because they rely on the caravans built in RCD trips. However I will be adding a separate feature on mine and have already fitted a twin pole breaker switch between the electrical spur inside and what will be the outside socket, that way it will be isolated all the time unless I choose to use it to power something outside. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have at last finished clearing the big wardrobe in my bedroom that was full of my daughter's ex's stuff. It's been a mammoth job but now I have to find more suitable boxes. The ones I have filled so far are labelled with what they contain. I have some boxes, but too big I won't be able to move them myself up and down the stairs so looks like big bags. I've carefully folded everything I think they'll get messed up in bags. Hmmm.

He is reputedly coming to the UK to get his stuff sorted next month. :a20: That will free up the spare room (actually I can't get it all in the spare room) and the cupboard under the stairs which is full to overflowing with electrical stuff.

Now I can get the electrician to get started on the rewire upstairs. The only plug in my bedroom is in the wardrobe, which obviously I want moved to a more accessable place and now it's possible :up

It all makes moving come much closer, maybe before next spring? Christmas would be nice. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just finished drilling a series of weep holes along the bottom of the wall. Just need a few wall ties now and I can try to tye the wall together where it has cracked. Fingers crossed.

I have mentioned that we are considering a new TV. I said I like Samsung and we would probably go for a 55" to replace our present 40" Sony Bravia (non smart)

On Sunday I ordered this one, Samsung NU7400 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV
Only 50" but it has all the bells and whistles and was a good price. Delivery this evening between 6 and 8 pm. Do those delivery companies work around the clock? :lol:

So I will have a new toy to play with tomorrow.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

TV sounds good :up it will give you something to play with :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today after household chores including the individual watering of about 40 house plants - I'm beginning to realise that more is not necessarily better when I start a project - I'm sorting out things I have a tendency to hoard and contacting charities for collection of my daughter's recent big :up clear out.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have been giving my caravan a once over as I may nip off for a few days here and there. The extra mattress cushions are now finished and look OK. I said I would sew on the press studs on the cushions, what a job! whoever invented those awful things wants stringing up! it took me forever to stitch around them and I struggled to line the two halves up, I wont be doing that job again. :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Been busy doing nothing today. Well not quite true, there were a few 'just' jobs that Mrs G asked me to attend to.

Yesterday I spent some time setting up the new TV. I expected to just make the same connections as with the old TV but not quite. On the old one I could switch from the Freeview box to the aerial if I wished. Couldn't do that with the new one and after calls to Samsung and Talktalk I had to accept that you can only run on one or the other. Not that important but as I could do that before I expected to do it now.
As with all flatscreen TV's the sound quality is not as good as I would like so I have ordered a soundbar and optical lead which should be here on Monday/Tuesday.

Our daughter and her husband are coming over this evening and we are going to arrange Christmas in the Tyrol at Igls. Her mother in law who was widowed early this year is also coming so it will solve all the Christmas problems of who is going where? :lol: