What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've had a delightful 2 hours Whatsapping my youngest stepson who had taken an interest in advertising and marketing. made me feel much less redundant. :lol:

My favourite remark was "Does Papa know this?" :oops:

Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I shall be researching charities to donate the pile of Stuff daughter has collected together in the kitchen. Everything from shelving units to clothes and electrical goods.

Three of the redundant video recorders she put on the front wall and they were very quickly removed. I hope they are of use to someone.

The origin of the piles of wet bedding in my front garden has been discovered - at least some of it was put there by a beggar sitting outside the shop next door. I pointed out that it was soaking wet because it was in front of a rainwater down pipe. He is apparently using the wet stuff - crazy. I told him it could stay there until the next refuse collection, but after that I would include anything left there on the weekly trash removal otherwise it encourages dumping by other people. They do enough of that without encouragement anyway. Maybe they won't need to sleep rough for much longer. I've seen a proposal for a sort of sleeping pod for homeless people which might be adopted by the city council. It looks very promising.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a big bag of "stuff" that I need to get to the Thrift myself. Haven't moved the bag yet as I keep finding more odds and ends to throw into it. Have been trying to round up everything and get it moved on and out for the new year.

I never once made it to our Mall to see the Christmas decorations. Might venture out and go there today before they come down however me & the Mall are not really two things that go together well especially when there are crowds but am thinking those crowds will be fairly thin today. Plus the Plant nursery is in that general area too so will see ......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I did end up adding more to my bag for the Thrift shop too. Had a few winter hats I knit quite a while ago and was keeping them to donate but never got around to making that many so am including the 4 I do have. No point is waiting to get them gone. Our Hospital Thrift is run by a contingent of little old lady volunteers and they sell everything dirt cheap. They adopted the big store idea of volume so they sell a phenomenal amount as everything is truly a good deal and they turn it over quickly. All funds raised goes towards our Hospital and usually the purchase of equipment.

Going to head over to the Pub for breakfast as am too lazy to cook eggs myself then heading over the Daughter & Son-in-law as they purchased an older second hand car yesterday so want to have a look see at their new acquisition. The son-in-law is very good mechanically and can fix/replace/repair most anything so acquiring a 10yr old car isn't too bad for them. They have 1 car but have been finding it difficult as the Grandkids are now in different activities and each of them has to run the kids in different directions at the same time so they've been on the look out. Guess they found one yesterday so will stroll over to see it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was out and about yesterday and was actually quite surprised at how few crowds there were. Swung by the Daughters and saw their new second car. They definitely need another one given all the activities they're now doing with the kids particularly weekends.

Today some communities do the Polar Bear plunge. This City does it on Boxing Day and I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will never be taking the plunge into frigid water! No amount of warm blankets + hot chocolate after the fact will encourage me to be so fool hardy!

Am thinking I'll stroll out and see what's up in the neighbourhood. I've got all Christmas decorations down and put away. Not even sure what is open or not today. Always varies by the day here and you can never really predict who or what will be open.

Hope everybody had a good last night :) :) :) Happy January 1st to all. The start of another 365.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We took all the Xmas decorations and tree down today and put it all away, too! This afternoon I cooked a roast dinner and I have to mention that it wasn't an ordinary roast dinner - well, not for me anyway. :) It was roast goose! I can't believe I've reached my grand old age never having tasted goose! That has now been rectified. I'm not sure that I would choose to have it again, but it was ok. I'm still trying to figure out what it tasted like though! :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I can say I've tasted goose but don't believe I've ever cooked one. The father-in-law would cook goose. Taste wasn't remarkable enough for me to ever really remember (other than it was greasy).

Good you've got the decorations down. I love getting them up but I also love getting them down again too.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I'm waiting for a delivery of a couple of books I've ordered. I thought they would have been here yesterday but no such luck! :( Hopefully tomorrow? :tk In the last week, we will have celebrated two birthdays. My youngest son was 52 on the 28th and son#1 is 53 tomorrow. I suddenly feel very old! :cry:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

As usual my youngest daughter had her birthday yesterday and was 49 yrs old - her sister is 50yrs old.

I was married for 24 years the first time and 20th December was my second marriage 27th Wedding anniversary - I know I'm old, but it seems so much happened in such a short time. I'm still mentally 19 years old and have never felt older. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a really hard time reconciling my physical age with my mental age as my mind has never grown up and gotten old. I 'know' how old I am & look but mentally I'm still thinking same way as when I was young. Hopefully this will keep me going for a long time. Hate to think my oldest daughter will be 40 this coming spring ......... geez time flies.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gotta go pick up the daughter at the Car Place as she is bringing her car in today to get it serviced. The grandkids are at the other Grandparents house so her and I will probably head off for lunch while the oil is getting changed, brakes done - whatever they find.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Frosty again here, but :a20: I've got the heating boiler in balance , I hope. It was playing up over the Christmas period when on a timer and not coming back on when it should. Now it's on all the time and isn't nearly as hot. I should explain that it has no apparent thermostat. So that's a good start to the day.

In my filing break this morning I hope to finish my online orders for Tesco and Amazon and if the hip eases then I might make it to the city and the bank. :oops: I've just realised I've been saying that since mid October.

On the plus side I think I have found a home for Betti the scooter. However, had a peek at new models yesterday and there are definite changes in style, portability and lower price over the last few months. If I had a garage I'd love to have one like a three wheeled ordinary scooter with a saddle so a passenger could be carried. But it won't fit in my hall. :lol: :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Hello folks.
I did say I would be taking a short break before Christmas and that was a couple of weeks ago so it's about time I showed my face again. No reason for my short 'sabatical', with Christmas and New Year on the horizon I just thought I would spend a bit less time on my computer.
Anyhow I am back with a couple of things to tell you about on other threads so I will see you on them.
I DO hope you all had enjoyable Christmas's and we send our very best wishes to you all for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year. :gg:

Memo to self: Get rid of that damned avatar ;) :lol:

PS: Where's Horus???
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Hey there Grandad! Nice to see you back - I've imagined your Christmas and hope it was as good as promised. We were very concerned on here that your flight might be affected, but I really hope it was all plain sailing.

I'm hoping that Horus has found something more interesting than posting on here and that eventually we will have an update.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Welcome back Grandad - Hope your holidays away were good, relaxing, enjoyable with lots of big time sweet heavy calorie food! And 'yes' your Avatar is now a bit out of sync.

It is amazing here how fast all the Christmas lights went up this year and equally amazing how fast they've all now come down (or are NOT being turned on)

Going out today to a meeting of a retired Seniors group then going with 'em to lunch.

Weather-wise another big storm is being predicted for here with high winds. Rained all last night fairly heavy but now we're down to light wind & rain which otherwise would be referred to as normal here for this time of year.

No idea where Horus is. Haven't seen him on here for maybe upwards of a couple months now - am sure he is busy with something.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A couple of months ago I told that I was confirmed type 2 diabetic (just to add to all my other problems but I made 84 in December so could be on borrowed time :lol: :lol: )
My doctor prescribed Metformin as the best drug to help to control blood sugar. About a week before Christmas I started getting painful stomach cramps which after Googling proved to be the most common side effect of Metformin. I stopped taking the tablets and in 3 or 4 days the symptoms had gone.
On return from hol;iday I phoned my doctor to discuss and he agreed with my action and has changed my prescription to the slow release form of the drug.
SO, long story short, I should have collected the new prescription from Boots in the town but will defer that until tomorrow.
Therefore my day will just be a boring day indoors setting up this pesky new phone.......I hate technology :lol: :lol: :lol: (Joke Horus ;) )
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Going over to the Daughters house and leaving a few items with her for safe-keeping while I'm gone.

As I was flicking through emails I saw one touting a Trail Cam on ebay. Was looking at it and thinking about it. I would love to be able to capture the wildlife out back or at least get a sense if there is any. Might think on one. Not too sure how easy they are to run but if simple enough it might be a toy to capture what is out back.

Raining cats and dogs outside. Absolutely pouring down big time. Gotta go and find an umbrella as I know I won't make it from the car to her front door without getting soaked through.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have been editing my current notebooks this morning and have a waste basket full to prove it.

I am limiting myself to 4 notebooks these days as I'm not very disciplined in their use, though I am a great note taker. The problem is that I have always been unable to resist new notebooks, ever since I was a book monitor at school and was delegated to get new books from the stationary dept for my class. Oh the smell! The smooth unblemished paper …………….

Any new project or idea is /was an excuse to start a new book. I now have only 4 different sizes in use and try not to just grab the nearest but have some discipline - otherwise lists tend to be duplicated.

Now that I'm looking at running myself as I would a business, I'm very disappointed in my lack of self discipline - but self discipline isn't so much fun. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, you have lost me.......What on earth do you use 4 notebooks for??? :?:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Grandad asked,
MD, you have lost me.......What on earth do you use 4 notebooks for??? :?:
Ohh geez - you must have 1 notebook for Gardening, one for all pottery designs, one for quilt patterns, one for any impromptu poems you might want to write, one for sketches, one for charcoal sketches, one for sightings of swans and another for hummingbirds out back, one yuckier one for grocery lists, 2 for the twins and another one for the Granddaughter and a few spares. Each notebooks new is and the smell of new paper and the totally lovely fresh crisp paper is lovely plus any time you go anywhere you always see many many other calling and tempting you.

I'm not too sure MD has remotely enough notebooks and is displaying real restraint

My problem is remembering to write in them and then going back to find what I'm 100% sure and positive I've written down (somewhere).

My notebook days stemmed from my studies. Was in my glory every August/September when I had to set up all my notebooks for all the courses I'd be taking. Kept every note I made for probably close to 25 yrs too before the purge.