What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

:o :o :o :o You didn't REALLY walk out and leave a sinkful of dirty dishes I hope ??????

All I got to say is you're either really BRAVE H or well.......(ahem) not too brave .. 'er sumpthin' along those lines! ;) ;)

Interesting lineage chasing Grandad. If the place of birth wasn't recorded it is possible that nobody thought in those days that anybody would live any other place than where they were born and since then everybody knows everybody whats the need to record a place of birth? (Just my theory)

I didn't do too much today. Watched the TV in the morning re: Hurricane Irma, dusted out all the window tracts, read on the neighbourhood news site that a bear yet again walked down the street in the wee hours of the morning, went to the lumber yard but nobody was there (what was I thinking it was the weekend so only one fellow who openly states he knows nothing about anything in the place), thought about getting out my knitting but decided I wasn't sufficiently bored yet to start to knit, cut up a bunch of fruit for a fruit salad and watched the rain come down. We FINALLY got a decent rain which was desperately needed and has now taken lots of the worry of FIRE away.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Very interesting Grandad, I know all of the places in that area well, often passing through East Peckham and Yalding on a daily basis.

Oddly my sister's married name is Jeffery ........who knows where this may lead/ :D

Of course Jeffery is such an uncommon name, unlike her maiden name of Chape.

Funnily enough there is a family in America, I think Minnesota with less than 20 members who have been trying to find their relatives without success and they also are called Chape.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux You are probably correct LLL when you suggest that people didn't move far from their place of birth. The addresses in my summary sheet are all within a few miles of rural countryside. People would think it quite normal to walk those few miles to another village, probably over the fields.

The 1841 census was the first national census and this is repeated every 10 years. The information required in 1841 was minimal as can be seen in this copy, the first item in my summary, where just location, name, age and occupation were required. The survey today is much more comprehensive and now requires things like ethnicity..

I was particularly interested to see that John Cleaver and others are listed as 'Railroad workers'. The original railway behind my home started passenger operation in 1830 so those workers in mid Kent were involved in the very early days of the railways, much of the work being physical labour.

Little things like that help to paint a picture of the times. Pryor to 1841 one needs to research parish and church records. Information is also available at local archives (The Cathedral, Dover, Maidstone) for which I have Reader Cards to give me access but this is difficult for me as I am now a non driver :(
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Catching up on housework officially, catching up on my favourite game while watching TV with one eye in fact.

It's an unfinished story, but my new computer had to go back to the shop to be squeaky cleaned and have everything taken back factory condition. I'm hoping to get it within a few days, in the meantime dealing with the reason I don't have it. :evil:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've started on a series of stained glass effect wall hangings. The first one went well, but the second one is proving a trial to me. :( I think the main reason is with the first one I used fusible bias 6mm tape, which I've had for ages. When I went looking for more on Thursday, the same product was £14.99 for 10 metres! So I searched through my stash and found 25metres of 6mm fusible webbing and 25 metres of 6mm black satin ribbon. Great, I thought! Not so, unfortunately. The satin ribbon isn't bias so doesn't sit right round curves like the tape. I will have to finish the hanging with the ribbon because it's already a fair way to being finished but I'm not happy with it! :td I still refuse to pay out the price for the tape though, so I've ordered a 6mm bias tape maker and will make my own when it comes. The next two can wait until that day dawns.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - please post of picture of your creation once you're done. Would absolutely love to see it. Right now I'm contemplating starting a quilt but but but - I've got my sewing machine in my bedroom as I'll be tearing up the old carpeting in the sewing room and putting down a wood floor. I've had to move ALL my stash off the shelving (big moveable wire shelf) so that I can move the shelf out when needed again for flooring. Hence I've got all my fabrics and everything off to the side and not easily accessible but soon as the weather turns I get the feeling of watching to sew from time to time and interestingly enough the Grandkids LOVE to get new quilt blankies (as they call them). Their last ones were for Easter last year so I'm not in any rush to make them another one but so far their quilts have been full of Disney characters that 'fit' their age & interest. Now I'm thinking, for the boys at 7 coming up 8, more life time quilts......just boy colours that go with their room but not full of Star Wars & Star Trek and Super Heros.

Although I've made 2 quilts for the Granddaughter she loves the first Minnie Mouse Quilt and actually insists on the Princess motif quilt (the FROZEN Princesses) going on top of the first. She now sleeps under TWO quilts.

Quilting & fabrics are ridiculously expensive here as in ridiculous with a capital R. I tend to search all the Thrifts for supplies and often find the odds 'n ends I need quite cheap and in original packaging with original prices (i.e. 25 cents vs $4.99 now). Hopefully you can find somewhere what you're needing but I wouldn't break down and buy either.

Sun is out today, haven't done much yet and nothing is jumping up at me to do either.......will see how it goes.....
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, over here, if you stick the label 'hobby' on anything, it's a licence to print money! $4.99 sounds ridiculously cheap to me. I presume that's fabric per meter or yard? Fabric over here is from £11.99 - £20 a metre! A fat quarter is from £1.99 upwards and you need an awful lot of those to make a quilt! We can't even save a bit by ordering in from abroad because we are allowed to order £18 worth (that's with p&p) before we get clobbered with import taxes etc. Quite a few of our quilters have had to pay post office charges on top of that! Don't get me started! :dv
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I wasn't clear when I was quoting prices. (I was clear to me but let me explain further) Same here. If you class it as a hobby the price goes through the roof. Back in the good old days a packet of binding tape was 10 to 25 cents however now they're closer to $5 - for ONE packet of BINDING tape (3 meters). Our fabric starts at $26/yard Canadian (or 16 pounds sterling). A fat quarter ON SALE (cause I refuse to buy them) can be three for $10 (but you probably wouldn't want 2 of the 3 in the grouping). The cost of fabric is ridiculously high.

I'm sewing what I sew as I've bought and buy the fabric in the USA. It is 100% cotton and starts at $2.99USD OR $2.27 sterling (I can't make the symbol for Sterling). As cotton goes it is pretty ok. There is better but it fits MY level of sewing. I've also haunted the Thrift stores there and have from time to time found absolutely gorgeous fabrics that have been thrown. Also once upon a time there was a fabric store on every corner in Trinidad as the majority of clothing was hand sewn. The African prints were lovely as well as all the Indian prints too - so - over the years I've loaded up.

IF I had to start sewing here and buy only from the stores here would make sewing totally prohibitive. Quilting is very popular and lots of ladies quilt but I have no idea how they acquire their fabrics (although I think like me - just scavenge them from anywhere)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Sorry I misunderstood you, LLL. As for the second project, it has had to be abandoned! :( I'm pig sick about it because the backing fabric was almost a whole fat quarter which I bought specially for this one and the last one left in the shop. If I get bored enough, one day I might unpick it but I won't hold my breath. :lol: In the meantime, I have a new quilt for my GD on the frame, but am awaiting a delivery of rulers before I can carry on with that. So I think I'll just have to bite on the 'housewifery' front and do a bit!! :D I think I might just make a rhubarb and ginger crumble as a consolation prize!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

On another thread, LLL said that she hadn't a clue what Horus and me are talking about.

Seems like you girls are getting your own back. What the hell is a 'Fat quarter?' :?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad wrote:On another thread, LLL said that she hadn't a clue what Horus and me are talking about.

Seems like you girls are getting your own back. What the hell is a 'Fat quarter?' :?
Ditto :ni:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

A metre of quilting fabric is 42" across the width, so if you cut it into 4 pieces, it would measure 18"x21". Therefore not a true 'quarter" but a fat quarter! Ok, guys? :lol: This dates back to Imperial measure, by the way, when fabric was sold by the yard, and still is in the USA.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks RS, as clear as mud :lol: :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Imagine a piece of fabric measuring 42" across the width and 36" long. Then cut it into 4 quarters and you get 4 pieces each measuring 18"x21". That's a 'fat' quarter! :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes only kidding, I did understand your description :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Don't do that to me, Horus! I thought dementia was setting in! :cry:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fat quarters in the USA can run as low as $1 for one and usually 100% cotton. Specialty cottons are higher but they're reasonably enough priced that they're used all the time. Here they cost an arm and a leg so I'm not too sure they're as common. Fabric here is so pricey I don't ever really go to the stores here as I'm refusing to pay such a high price.

I'm not above grabbing cotton if it is available in any of the Thrift stores here though.

I have a few quilt tops to put together and this past spring I bought some gorgeous batiks when I was in Hawaii. I need to get on making something out of them but haven't even really thought too much about patterns yet.

Sun is out today. Have to pick up the granddaughter from daycare today. Been watching TV and the devastation in Florida. Haven't heard from my friends there since 9pm last night. Am assuming they're OK and have simply lost power.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Such a beautiful day. The howling gale and rain has been replaced by calm, warm sunshine and blue skies with a few fluffy clouds. 8)

My houseplants have been such good value this year, especially the little kalanchoe plants that are on the way to their third flush of flowers since I bought them in April for £1.50 each in Tesco. I have more recent purchases of these charming and almost indestructible little plants, some outside, nibbled by slugs, pelted with rain blown round the garden in their pots in the high winds, yet they still keep blooming! Each flush of flowers lasts for a couple of months, they are under-rated little gems.
In my living room I have a bronze leafed Begonia with dark pink flowers about the size and shape of a Camellia, it's currently only bearing 10 flowers, sometimes it's hard to see the leaves for blooms which last nearly two weeks each. Right next to it by contrast is a Begonia of half the size with neat light green leaves edged with red and bearing only 3 or 4 perfect small single bright crimson flowers, a lovely contrast.

Next to them on the floor is the big Mandevilla with top blooms at 5ft and cluster of new buds 6ins higher. I love this plant so much, worth every penny of the £22 :oops: I paid for it. On the table, the Gardenia is in bloom. The first time I've really been successful with this shrub. I think because no one but myself has watered it. :urm:

I think I really must apply myself to learning how to post pictures again. I got a bit carried away there........ :oops:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Arrgh! :? about half an hour after my last post, the sky is as black as Newgate's Knocker and people are scurrtheing past my window with their hoodies and umbrellas over their heads - Cardiff at it's best I guess.

Yup, in the few minutes it took to write the above, we are back to square one. :lol: :lol:

My goodness the clouds are moving at the lick today.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Your houseplants sound lovely MD :)
As to the posting of pictures, give me a shout if you are struggling.