What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We have a friend who lives in Tankerton but I have never actually been there. :(

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great photos of a lovely day. Your lunch looks pretty delicious too! :) :) I love bagels myself and I love those kind of small quaint get away places too. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Indeed lovely photos bringing back good memories, especially the beach huts - though our family ones were in Gurnard, Isle of White.

I remember when I was small, my father wore a one piece black woollen bathing suit and believe it or not when my Mother wanted to swim, she would borrow it!

When Dad bought a pair of swimming "trunks" the had legs down nearly to the knees and were made of a shiny light blue heavy nylon with fitted thinner white lining. My Mother thought they were saucy and with held her approval.

I had a knitted bathing suit and one which was shirred, not something you see these days, thank goodness. :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@MadDilys Oh do stop it MD :lol: :lol: You won't believe the memories that your post brought back, and yes, I remember having knitted swimming trunks, and in the war years going to Tankerton.

These swinging boats were on the beach at Whitstable end of Tankerton and we would sit on the beach nearest camera from the swing boats. (This pic is 1906, YES, before my time :lol: but the swings were the same until they were removed probably in the fifties)

Centre right in the picture is The Continental Hotel and this is a recent picture of that same building.

So no more memory triggers please MD ;) :lol: 8)
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:oops: I can't promise Grandad, it's my age you know! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Crazy Bl**dy English weather. On Tuesday we had the UK high of 29 degrees. Then yesterday and today it has been low teens. Right now it is cold and p*ssing hard. :xx Might even have to switch on the CH :xx :xx
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely day up here Grandad :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Lovely day up here Grandad :D
:xx :xx :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sun is shining today with a gentle breeze - temps around 24 - 26 :) And this is predicted for the next week too. :sd: :sd: :sd:

@Grandad - sorry to hear your emoticon for the day is this one ..... :vc:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've put the CH on for an hour the last two evenings as it was down to 9C here.

Well, with apologies to Grandad ;) it reminds me of "Hopping Mornings" when I was a child. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:Well, with apologies to Grandad ;) it reminds me of "Hopping Mornings" when I was a child. :lol:
And getting drenched with the dew as the bines tumbled down :lol:

As I type this there is an article on Breakfast TV collecting bines in trailers. No more hand picking. BUT we usually got an extra week summer hol to get the hops into the oast. Happy days. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:lol: :D :lol: I just laughed out loud Grandad, as I was tempted in my post to refer to the dew laden bines etc. Happy days indeed. I got 9d a bushel for picking in my own bin when I was 10 years old :up

The Gypsies were very good to us kids, it didn't matter that my Dad was a policeman, I got a can of hot water to warm my hands the same as the others, and food was always offered at the same time. Two sides to every story eh?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think the big difference MD is that those were real Gypsies and Tinkers as opposed to todays 'diddycoys' a bucnch of feckless, lawless mainly Irish travellers who cause mayhem wherever they turn up.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Seeing your comments on Hop Picking made me reflect on our local seasonal work that gave us an extra few holidays and it was known locally as 'tater picking'. It was a very hard job as we kids and adults followed the tractor as he turned over the ridges of potatoes and we scrabbled in the earth for the spuds which we put into sacks. We did this back breaking work from dawn till dusk then all walked home again across the fields, this went on for at least a wek for the princely sum of 10/- yes 10 Shillings or 50 Pence in todays money :o and all the 'taters' you could carry for your mum :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ah yes, 'tater picking' H. Another seasonal agricultural job that is now fully mechanised. Those jobs gave an opportunity for stay at home mums to earn a little extra cash. Wouldn't work today with most mums working full or part time.
Mad Dilys wrote::lol: :D :lol: I just laughed out loud Grandad, as I was tempted in my post to refer to the dew laden bines etc. Happy days indeed. I got 9d a bushel for picking in my own bin when I was 10 years old :up

The Gypsies were very good to us kids, it didn't matter that my Dad was a policeman, I got a can of hot water to warm my hands the same as the others, and food was always offered at the same time. Two sides to every story eh?
We would have to do some picking in the morning but of course got bored. Lunch would be curled up sandwiches, probably fish or meat paste, washed down with bottles of that lemonade powder mixed with water. We were let loose in the afternoon and would go scrumping or climbing trees.

A pals father worked for the local farm and we would go to see him in the oast house. How I remember that choking atmosphere of the sulphur used in the drying process to kill the bugs. And those enormous hop pockets into which the dried hops were pressed.
You are at it again MD......triggering all these memories :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Those jobs gave an opportunity for stay at home mums to earn a little extra cash.
I doubt if many modern mums would know how to even wash a potato let alone pick one. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I doubt if many modern mums would know how to even wash a potato let alone pick one.
Not sure about there but HERE there is such an enormous selection of PRE-done foods of all types that I'm starting to doubt if a Mum here would even know how to recognize a FRESH veggie or fruit if it rose up and tried to jump into their shopping buggy!!

In the long run we've not done ourselves any favours by pre-preparing almost everything.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I get a lot of comments from friends when I lament the loss of my local butcher! To me, meat should be bought fresh, not in cellophane wrappers from a supermarket! Same thing with vegetables, fruit and fish! I really don't need cooking instructions on the wrapper of most things! I CAN cook, and I've been cooking since I was 12 years old.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - It isn't a pet peeve of mine but I don't think I've ever followed a recipe on the outside of any package. As you say I'm buying whatever I'm buying because I already know how to cook it.

I'm actually highly suspicious of meat because I'm not totally sure it isn't died to look redder or injected with oils, butters, saline etc to artificially enhance the taste.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

WARNING GRANDAD AND WITH APOLOGIES
I love my animals, but when we had the small holding I took them to the local abattoir, brought home the carcasses and butchered them, kept some for us and sold the rest to friends and neighbours. I could kill chickens, (if I didn't look them in the eye) ducks and geese needed my husband's strong hands. Rabbits? Well, sorry I chickened out and sold them live. Though not free range they did live in large chicken sheds, the males separated from the pregnant females in their own unit except for conjugal visits.!

I also had up to 400 free range hens and an egg delivery round.

All, except the rabbits, were free range on an organic holding during the day, some were inside at night of course for protection from the elements or predators. The meat produced was remarkable for it's quality, I think mainly because the abattoir was only 4 miles away so there wasn't prolonged stress for the animals before they were killed. Perhaps too, the fact that they were used to being handled in a kindly way?

Anyway, I always had more orders for meat than I could fill, and at a premium price. Even my vegan children ate some meat in those days, because they knew what kind of life it had.

As I write this I can quite see why I had only 4 hours sleep a night and needed so much coffee to keep me going! I plucked geese and ducks while watching TV with a bin on the right for feathers and one on the left for down - it was a welcome rest!

I haven't mentioned the milking of cows and goats, the school runs, the dog and goat showing ................. I'm exhausted thinking about it!