What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

To me, IF and animal must be killed it has to be done very quickly, painlessly and humanely. I can't stand seeing animals caught in leg hold traps, caught in sticky paper or otherwise starved to death or in some way maimed and mutilated until they finally die.

Mice here 'may' carry hantavirus which can be fatal to humans so it is imperative if you get rodents you get them out of your house asap which usually means killing them and the snap traps work well for that.

FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I also hate kiling any animal and in Egypt we had a rat which came into the apartment after unwinding the drain trap in the bathroom. We got hold of a humane trap, caught said rat & released it into the field at the back. Our landlord was glad the trap worked & offered to "get rid of the rat" he was shocked that we had released it :oops:

We did have a mouse in the UK but it killed itself when it bit through the TV mains cable :lol: Normally our cats dealt with them there although one cat had a "pet mouse" and used to bring it into me to dry it when it rained. I would put kitchen paper down, it would walk on & then when dry I would put it back outside, one day the cat came in with a leaf wrapped round the mouse but it was dead. Why he liked that mouse I have no idea, he was a real mouser/ratter normally. :ni:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I shall be mostly recovering from yesterday! I had an excellent day, but got a bit carried away with cleaning - after the bathroom had a deep clean I moved onto the kitchen, similar and then to my living room. Where things went a bit pear shaped.

I had pulled the chairs across the room to clean the window half first, tidied up the climbers in the bay etc moved the arm chairs back and doing the middle of the floor as I backed out I saw a little bit of white under the edge of my chair and foolishly moved the vacuum nozzle close to it. :a66:

Big mistake, a small white duster shot up the hose. This new vacuum is ridiculously strong so that using it on rugs is hardly worth the struggle ......... I wonder if it would lift a brick?

So of course I removed the long metal tube, but it had gone into the bendy one. Ok so far all I need to do is take it off the machine and poke a broom handle through. Unfortunately the two buttons which have to be pressed to release said tube are far too stiff for my arthritic hands. :a67:

So I pulled out of retirement my little old favourite which is missing the coarse filter and finished the job.
I'll pop into the coffee bar later and ask the owner's lovely son if he will open it for me. if they are busy I shall just have to carry it down the road. All good exercise.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It comes as a great surprise to find out your hands do not work the same anymore, at one time I could have bent 6" nails with my bare hands, now I sometimes have to ask my daughter to unscrew a jar lid as my left hand thumb refuses to grip :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:D :lol: :D I know what you mean too well Horus as after hand milking goats and cows for well over 20 years I had a grip most chaps would be proud of, but apart from weakness the change in the shape of the bottom of the thumb makes a big difference. Happily I'm not keeping goats at the moment.

PS Removed the hose with the aid of a child's trowel only to finally find the duster in the solid bend near the handle. With the aid of a long kebab skewer the duster was recovered and I know how to dissemble the machine. ;)

"My Weakness is my Strength" MD 2018 :lol: :D :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today am meeting up with a gf for a cuppa this morning and then I'll maybe go over to see the daughter if the son-in-law is at work as yesterday he was apparently hacking and coughing lots so I'm steering clear of anybody who has so much as a mild sneeze (since we're coming into flu season).

Yesterday went to the Optometrist. Haven't been since 2015 so I figured it was about time particularly as my eyes of late have seemed tired. Sure enough he has increased my near sight prescription from .25 to 1 and also did something with my far sight too (don't remember). I quite liked the frames I was wearing so am having the new prescription put into them and am wearing my emergency pair but they're not nearly as comfortable as my regular glasses.

I then went to get some fruit but saw as I passed the Pharmacy that the flu shots were in early so I got one along with another one against getting pneumonia.

Last night on taking the garbage out I noted that it had suddenly turned pretty darn cold. Haven't poked my nose out yet this morning but I think we're finally getting the cold snap that will turn the leaves. The hostas are yellowing big time for the most part and the geraniums are no longer flowering (debated doing cuttings and trying to keep them but my problem is where to put them for all the winter).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ever since I had my cataracts removed I've had a slight mist in part of my right vision. I asked several times what it was as I was getting a new prescription, no one knew what it was so I stopped bothering.

When I had my last examination the Optometrist remarked that I had a scratch on the lens which I might see as a misty patch. I hadn't mentioned it, I wonder why all the others didn't know what it was? :tk
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

What a coincidence! I was at the opticians too yesterday. My specs are 4 years old now but once again, they don't need updating. The optician seemed surprised that they were in such good condition. I'm trying to get all my medical appointments done and dusted this month, so I had a blood test on Tuesday morning for diabetes, the opticians yesterday, and one more to go on the 17th -audiology. Hopefully going down to Canterbury within the next week to get a mobility scooter, and then all I need to do is get a couple of photos done to apply for a Blue badge. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

More than a coincidence RS. I had a blood test for diabetes on Tuesday and I have the 6 week post cataract operation eyetest tomorrow. We will get the flu jab ASAP. Must be the season for older aged MOT's :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Certainly is! I have blood test tomorrow and check on hearing aid next week.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

We seem to have the nucleus of a little exclusive club growing here. Horus can still do his five mile walks with Annie so he doesn't qualify......yet ;) :lol:

I often say to my wife that your 5 senses are only as good as you are aware. I believe my hearing is still good but perhaps I will also put audiology on my list of check ups :lol:

I am due an annual ECG but I will let the surgery flag that one up if the system reminds them :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow! My son took me to a garden centre and then to the hospital on Tuesday.
I went on the scooter to the Masonic Museum on Wednesday.
Yesterday it was a taxi each way for the weekly shop at Sainsburys.
Today I have already been to the post office on the scooter, we will shortly have a taxi to Asda where I have an appointment for an eyetest.
We have been told that Asda do a very acceptable menu at lunch time so we will give that a try.

WE KNOW HOW TO LIVE :lol: :lol: ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Horus can still do his five mile walks with Annie so he doesn't qualify......yet
I sometimes wonder how long that will last :ni:
Last week while away with my son I realised how much I had slowed down and although we did do plenty of walks around Betws-y-Coed and along the river I found myself making hard work of it at times. My right knee was really giving me some gyp, so hill climbs were a bit painfull, also I was a little out of breath at times and took any opportunity to have a rest. The knee seems to be back to normal now and I did have a tight chest for over a week after getting home, I suspect it was a bit of asthma maybe brought on by the damp weather and a bit of a chill as my throat was sore for a few days. Things seem OK now and Annie and I were out the other day on a longish walk, but then again I go at my own pace, or should I say Annies pace which is brisk with lots of sniffing stops along the way, so maybe she has my real speed sussed out ;) I will be going out with my son and the doggies on Saturday afternoon (weather permitting) so we will see how that goes. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The eyetest went well and the optometrist who I usually see commented how much better my vision now is. In fact, without glasses I got a better VA than pre cataract op, with glasses. Distance was +1.75 and reading +6.5. These are now -0.5 and +2.5 respectively, so when I get new glasses they may be even better.
I am having my last frame reglased to the new prescription with everything that is available, vari focal, reactalite, all the coatings....
I said I am happy to pay but I want the best 'index' lenses that you can offer. Both the optometrist and the supervisor technician said that for my prescription there would be absolutely no benefit.
So refreshing to be told the truth and not persuaded to part with cash unnecessarily.

So thumbs up to Asda's optical department, but I am afraid the instore diner gets a thumbs down. :( :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today is a swimming day. It is also a ProD Day which means the kids are not in school so we're all heading to the swimming pool for an hour or so of splashing, jumping and whirling around in the "river." The river is like rapids where there is a force behind the water and you can whirl about in it. Rather fun. I typically chase the grandkids about in it and of course never quite manage to catch them.

After we finish swimming the hot tub is good. They crew is pretty good at sitting on the edge with just an occasional dunk to warm up as they're not really allowed to sit and soak but it is a time to talk so they're all for it.

Once swimming is done we're heading to Timmy's (donut shop) and they get to order whatever donut they're interested. The Granddaughter is easily swayed with any donut that has pink sprinkles on top and the twins have a harder time deciding between double double chocolate, dipped chocolate, chocolate top ...... the key word being "chocolate." It has been about 8 months since they've found they can now tolerate chocolate that they've grown to love it.

Me, Grandma, always has the 12 grain bagel :P

I find that swimming is the kindest on my hip which tends to flare up and down but does it sufficient that I have to think about 'where' I'm going for a walk. Can't do hills and/or really rocky surfaces but flat walking is good.

Weather-wise we're grey and drizzling rain today. Not at all nice looking out there.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I did much more walking than usual on Friday as where I had to go is in the middle of a big shopping precinct, lovely not having traffic, but of course cars can't drop off physically challenged passengers.
I expected a big reaction over the week end, but no! I was just tired, no more aches and pains than usual.. :jig: So I shall continue with gradually increasing the physical challenge which is working well so far. Lovely to get out of bed and stand solid on both feet, trek to the bathroom without holding onto the wall, fantastic.

I've just cleared the litter thrown into my garden over the weekend and noticed the weeds in the cracks at the bottom of the wall and in the paving are just big enough to spray with Roundup, so as there is virtually no wind, it hasn't rained over night and no rain expected today (miracle) I've sprayed them all.

My policy at the moment is to be as active as possible until I feel the back starting to protest, then feet up for half an hour minimum before I go back to full power. Sitting with feet on floor has to count as activity or The Feet make their presence known. Weird but working for me. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I went out for a walk with my son on Saturday afternoon as he was working that morning. The day started really miserably with sporadic rain, but as I parked up at the old church the weather started to brighten and it finished up being a very pleasant walk. My son has two lovely Whippets and of course they love to run and chase, Annie on the other hand tries to join in, but soon realises that she cannot keep up with them so goes back to sniffing and inspecting everything along the way. She does come into her own when we reach the stream, she is straight in showing no fear while the other two dogs are very wary and barely have a paddle as Annie splashes around in the chilly water, she is certainly the bravest of the trio. Even on a nice day you can see the Whippets feeling the cold, not surprising with such slim bodies and very short smooth coats, whereas Annie is the opposite, a dense short undercoat and if left a shaggy curly outer coat of rough hair. You never see her like this as I have her clipped on a regular basis so that the she has a short ‘teddy bear’ coat that seems to suit all seasons. My son put their (the Whippets) warm coats on, but it was not long before Yasmin had hers trailing behind her as she leaps and runs about. I have one for Annie but rarely put it on and only if it is raining hard and we get caught out, strange that a dog that loves water so much can look so miserable if it is raining on her. She hates it, her head goes down and its full speed ahead for home with no interest in anything else other than a stop for a good shake as if to say “I have had enough of this”.

The Autumn is well on its way now with most trees and bushes losing their leaves and showing all the nuts and berries previously hidden. Lots of Hawthorn berries this year, but a poor crop of Blackberries due to the dry weather although most things that set a seed in some way seem to have done quite well this year, but fruits have suffered. We reached the midway point of our walk which is a canal side pub and just sat outside with a very nice pint of Marston’s Pedigree beer, always a good pint in this pub. We completed the circular ramble back along the Trent & Mersey canal on a particularly nice section in open countryside to return to the church. My knee seems to have returned to normal and my breathing was OK, so I seem to be back to normal after being a bit under the weather during our trip to Wales together. He again commented on how much he enjoyed the break and said he looked forward to another trip next year if I was planning one he could tag along with. I have to say I enjoyed having his company on the last trip, it was nice to share it with someone else, maybe like me he realises that our time together is fast running out, each year seems to fly past and no sooner is it Spring again than the leaves are falling off the trees once more.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Interesting little account of your walk H :up I could go a pint of Marstons anytime and probably will at the end of the month.
Your comment "Maybe like me he realises that our time together is fast running out" rang bells for me. I just have one niece and one nephew from my brothers first marriage. They and their mother live around Draycott in the Clay and I particularly wanted to go to see them for the reasons that your comment infers.
We are going up at the end of the month, staying at The Boars Head and no doubt will sample some local Burton ale. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well of course you will be visiting the countries friendliest county Grandad :up and you should be able to get a few pints of Pedigree in the Boars Head, sitting in that lounge by the fire with Mr Piggy himself looking down at you. As you say we are all facing our own mortality and much as we don’t like doing it sometimes we have to think along those lines. You can always impress your relatives (if they are locals) by pronouncing Uttoxeter as ‘Uchiter’ ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Oh yes H, they are all locals. My former sister in law, who happily we have kept in touch with, lived on her parents farm in the village. My abiding memory of the farm is the outside privvy with a long polished wood plank and TWO holes. Like his and hers. :lol:
My brother moved to live there on marriage around 1958 and quickly got into the vernacular. He lives in Tutbury, that is 'Tut' as in 'but' not 'Toot' as in 'boot' ;) :lol: