What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting looking Pub Grandad. Definitely looks to have lots of history and many stories behind it!

No end to your talents either Grandad. Would have never pegged you for a seamstress!

I tend not to try on clothes in stores either. I don't clothes shop often, rarely want a sales clerk hovering and making suggestions nor am not going to wait to get into a tiny change room that I can only take 3 or 4 items into either.

Today was the last day of Lego Robotics camp for the twins. They've been making lego into automated mechanical robots all week and love it. Today they made a BEE that flys around in a circle. This camp only comes here twice a year. They went to the first session a year ago and so the camp today was the next level up. Hopefully this group will come back again next holiday season and introduce a third level. For me, Lego Camp means I'm watching their sister. We go for a walk, go to the school playgrounds, read books and generally have fun and pass time.

I have no idea how to get the video of what the twins made on here.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Uploading videos can be a bit of a pain on her LLL :(
Basically it needs to be less than 5MB in size and I have found that MP4 format is best as it takes up less space.
You need to be in 'Full Editor' mode and you will see a box at the bottom of the screen where you can insert a video file and such like, often it is a trial and error exercise as to if it will load or not.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - FULL Editor and 5MB .... :( it is 93MB and that isn't that large to me......
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Afraid so, what file format is that in do you know?
The other option is to upload to Youtube, although I would caution you against putting images of your grandkids into the public domain, too many pervs trauling the web I'm afraid :stp
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The video IS the twins and their robotic bee creation so am not putting it onto U-Tube. Here I figure our watching audience is small but not on there. I'll have to check through what format it is. The daughter took the video clip with her Ipad.

Today the sun is out. Was going to start planting the veggie garden today but it rained too much yesterday and the ground is still water logged so will delay that. Think I'm just going to head to the coffee shop for a cuppa and to read for a bit then will see what all I'm up to doing.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL I had the same experience just the other day with my uninvited guests stealing the foxes food. I put 5 or 6 clips together and then shortened them to under 10 seconds each. I didn't add any fancy transitions or titles and the reesult was a 4.7mb mp4 video that was within the guidance parameters. I sought assistance from Horus but I still could not get it to load and run. Horus suggested it could be Win10 that is causing the problem which may well be the case. If you have a video editor on the ipad, I would cut out a very short clip, say 10 seconds. Save it as an mp4 file (if ios would allow that?) and try to upload it as Horus has described.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The daughter has taken a daily video of what the twins have made on her ipad. The one she sent me was the only one she has been able to figure out how to send (although I've seen daily what they've created) and she and the husband are off to Victoria for three days right now so I don't even have access to her ipad BUT I've never touched one myself either. She might be able to clip it shorter to send to me but ?

Overall the boys LOVE this Lego Robotics camp. It is put on by two brothers from Vancouver who developed this program. They come over for the week and offer it to whomever signs up through the Rec Center. They're just young guys but are really offering something very unique. They offer one session in the morning for 20 kids (which they then put into teams of 2) and then another session for 20 more kids in the afternoon. This fills up fast and usually there is a waitlist (only boys too - not that they say BOYS only - just have not had any girls sign up yet which is, to me, an interesting tidbit of society)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Since my daughter arrived on Wednesday night we've been sorting out "stuff" of which there was more than enough in this house.

We both have hearing issues which has meant we have dissolved into tears of laughter very often because of the wrong interpretation. We both have a hearing assessment on Monday, which will be interesting.

In the mean time she has managed to explain to the ex. that his hoard of stuff needs to be removed. As he hasn't shown any interest in any of it for 5 years he has been given a deadline. We will sort it out and pack it into boxes, storing it temporarily in the spare room. He has until the end of July - no time extensions, to remove it. If it's still here on 1st August it will be collected by the charity of our choice.

Apparently he is now too fat to wear any of the dozens of tee shirts and tops anyway though many still have their original labels and he bleated "Some of those are Designer and worth quite a bit of money." Give me strength!

It is so sad to see what has happened to this chap through addiction to alcohol. We are still very fond of him, but he lives in his own fantasy world and living with him is impossible. At least he fathered my lovely grandson - other than that, what a waste of a life. :(
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would let him bleat away about his special shirts, if he has no rights to be in the house or to store his stuff there or has been absent for years, then that would be it, at the end of the notice period, out it goes. Tell him if he is so concerned then he can make arrangements or buy them back from the charity shop, either way they are gone. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Exactly Horus, and that has been made plain as well as the fact that he is welcome to come and stay while he disposes of his things.

I don't think for one minute that he will but if He does I can handle him, no problem. :up :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nobody overlay today? All remembered to put your clocks forward an hour?
The students next door were a bit noisy when I put my light out last night at 11.45 (12.45 new time) but I forgive them because they have been very good neighbours.
I normally read posting times and subtract 2 hours to get UK time. That is just one hour now but some of you faolks do seem to be up and about very early. LLL's time difference is confusing, are we now back to 8 hours ahead of you LLL?
Only highlight today is daughter (with broken arm) and her husband coming for lunch. We have had a 4 portion tin of Confi du Canard in the cupboard for a couple of years so time to consume that.
They have a silver anniversary on Tuesday and David has booked a surprise 4 night break in Rome in two weeks time just ahead of our trip to the Emirates.
I know David went shooting yesterday so hopefully he will bring a rabbit or two for the foxes. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have been turning up a pair of jeans for one of my younger brothers' which is a job I absolutely hate! Still, they're done now so apart from making dinner, the Sunday is mine. I DID remember to put the clocks forward though.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've just been researching for a new oven. We have decided to go for a double with one part having a grill, rather than a single large one with a grill. I had that in my old kitchen and it works very well.

I am going to ring another electrician to get another inspection done of the electrics before we place an order. Of course we won't necessarily go for the cheapest.

I have good news about the boiler - we simply had no idea of the controls and previous chaps who have been out when it didn't work were not very helpful, of course more interested in selling a new one. At the moment I have no problem with the boiler itself. I have hot water and radiators when I want and the time clock works perfectly.

A decent chap looked at it, carefully explained all the options so for now I am going to start with having the radiators flushed and individual thermostats fitted. We will see how the present boiler copes with that and if all is OK, leave it at that for now. If we do need a new boiler, we only need a small one because any saving on the operating bill would be far out weighed by having larger gas and water pipes installed from the road outside which will be a lot of money plus involving destruction of our original Victorian floor tiling and taking up the floors upstairs. Just not worth it. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our clocks sprung forward two weeks ago now so I think now you're 8 hours ahead of me. I'm writing at 8:42am and you should be at 4:42pm.

@MD - am not quite following you re: stove purchase of what a grill is? My stove has 4 burner elements on top (albeit under glass which I do NOT like but it came with the house) and then a door below that swings down giving me an oven to bake in. The oven has wire shelves and if I put a shelf to the top row I can turn the oven on to BROIL and only the top ceiling of the oven cavity burner comes on HOT to cook like a steak (not that I do that)

To me a 'grill' would be like frying something in a frying pan in that the grill would be a flat area on top that you'd put the meat on?

Personally the stove / oven appliance in this house - well all houses here - are large big things that you don't typically use half of. Personally I have a smaller portable oven that I bring in from the garage to bake in and/or I use a slow cooker vs heating up an oven that could hold a small cow to cook! Most stoves & ovens here now are combination regular bake and/or convection (tried convection cooking and don't like it as it seems to dry out the food and leave it with a bland taste) and have all manner of bells & whistles that are not truly needed IMO.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ah! In the UK you cook under a heat source when you grill. I think that your side of the pond you grill on top of the heat source?

I have a seperate hob with gas burners on top of the work surface. The independent oven at the moment is a large electric fan oven with a seperate heating element in the top for Broiling/Grilling.

It had been used before by someone with very greasy food, far to close to said element which is impossible to clean. I'm quite glad it's not working any more, so that I can have two seperate fan ovens one small with a heating element in the top for broiling or baking and a medium sized one underneath purely for baking/roasting both of which with be built in under the work surface.

My boiler is simply for heating radiators and water for kitchen use. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Looking at mobility scooters again. I have previously said that I felt that to have a larger scooter was being selfish when there are still the two of us. Talking to our daughter and SiL yesterday when they came to lunch, they suggested that I get a car boot model so that when we all go out together we could take the scooter. Great compromise and now my preferred option.
That means a much smaller scooter with a shorter range but I can go anywhere in town within a 1.5 mile radius so range would not be a problem. I am drawn towards the GoGo Sport which has a weight limit of 147kg and a range of around 12 miles. That would suit me so I will visit a couple of local mobility centres after we return from our trip. I tend to favour the three wheel version for its easy turning in shops etc.
As the only user on here MD, do you have any comments or advice?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

For about the last week Amazon have had an Easter sale, much like Black Friday. Not being one to miss an opportunity for yet another boys toy I bought a Sports Cam with all the accessories. I certainly don't need the accessories but the waterproof enclosure might be useful especially as it is waterproof to 30 metres. Not that I shall be ever going that deep. :lol:
This is a very neat little camera just 6 x 4 x 2.5 cms, roughly the size of a box of Bryant and May matches. It is 1080 HD, accepts up to 32Gb micro SD card, is wifi and, with the App I can view images and videos already taken and take stills and videos via my mobile phone. I can also download pictures and vids to my phone to save for future use, from anywhere in the world.
Did I need one? Nah! Is it just a bit of fun? Yeah! And for just 30 quid I shall have a lot of fun exploring its possibilities and capabilities. ;) :lol:

Oh and it is yet another gadget that uses the same charger lead as my phone, Kindle, and Fire.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I bought one a couple of months back Grandad, :up I also have the little dog harness and attachments so that I can get some AnnieCam shots, not really tried it out yet as the weather has been rubbish. Mine is also good for 30 metres, its probably the same one, mine is a Victure brand and it looks like I bought it in early December/
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Victure, that's the one Horus. I was amazed at the comprehensive mounting kit plus two batteries. Whatever sport you are into, the kit will fit the camera to your bike, helmet or whatever.
I shall be checking it out today but so far I am impressed with its performance at a very modest price.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The stills and video are not too bad for such a small camera and I also liked the fact that there were spare parts for the waterproof enclosure. Although there are loads of stuff included with the camera you can buy other kits that have a chest harnesses and selfie sticks plus other fancy brackets for about £10.