Winter Walk

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Winter Walk

Post by Horus »

Today was a rare exception to the recent wet weather and the sun came out, quite weak but bright. So it was boots on, wrap up warm and set off for a reasonable stroll in the countryside. We parked up at the church as usual and took a few pictures through the bare trees and across the field where the farmer usually plants his Maize Corn, the thick stubble still remaining in the waterlogged soil. A single Crow or a couple of Rooks fly across the empty landscape silhouetted against the gnarled naked branches of old Beech trees, their smooth graphite grey bark shiny in the Winter sun. It reminds me of the old country saying to distinguish between Rooks and Crows “If you see a Rook on it’s own, then its a Crow” and “If you see a pair of Crows, then they are Rooks” a reflection on Crows tending to being usually solitary whereas Rooks flock together.

As we walk along the canal section I notice a new feature, a rather ugly metal frame that looks so out of keeping with its surroundings. On closer inspection there has been some new concrete work near the lock entrance so combining the two it looks as if they are about to do some major work on the lock as these long timber boards in the storage rack are slotted one on top of the other to hold back the water and isolate the lock while it is completely emptied. I did notice some problems last year at this lock so no doubt it is down for some major repairs and these will have to be done very soon as the other lock is now inoperable and it is a vital section on the Trent Mersey canal for pleasure craft approaching or leaving the Harecastle Tunnel. I must say though that the sight of this modern concrete and galvanised steel structure filled me with some despair as it is so out of keeping with its Victorian setting, I do hope it is removed after the repairs are completed, but I doubt it is here to stay.

Here and there a few red Hawthorn berries remain in the hedgerows and the occasional bright Rose Hip hangs on precariously to the bare stems of Dog Roses, bare Elder branches are covered in a green litchen that lights up in the watery sunshine. Look closely as you walk along these hedgerows of bare twigs and intertwining brambles and between winding tendrils of evergreen Ivy and poisonous Belladonna and you may spot the odd birds nest, now deserted and now the home to small insects their previous occupants have either migrated to warmer climes or scratching out a living in the surrounding woodlands awaiting the return of Spring.

The Maize fields has cow manure from the dairy herd dumped in huge piles ready to be spread as the field is cultivated once more with this nutrient hungry crop, Before I know it the Maize will be taller than my head and another year will have come and gone once more. As we pass an old tree in a field I spot something unusual near the base so pop over for a quick look and find a last remaining fungus growing in the shelter of the tree, the first frost will turn it into mush.

Annie seems to have taken up the habit of cocking up one leg when having one of her many wee’s, strange as she has not done that before, maybe it is the wet grass stopping her from stooping. Funny how your mind can wander at certain times and the phrase “Annie of a Thousand Wee’s” pops into my head probably inspired by the film “Anne of a Thousand Days” a costume drama about Anne Boleyn. Then just as quickly and probably triggered by the name, I realised that very soon it would be one thousand day since the passing of my own Anne, what strange turns and connections our minds can make as we walk along. My sudden depression was lifted by watching little Annie running about and thoroughly enjoying the open fields, we have been cooped up indoors for too long recently, who could not help but smile at seeing that little face looking back at you, pink tongue hanging out and a pair of bright little eyes watching for any sign from me, sometimes I think she reads my mind.

As you know Annie loves water and a flooded field was not to be missed, although had she not been so keen to investigate the water I may have gotten a picture of a lovely male Pheasant as he took of as we entered the field.
(To view click on Flooded field.wmv below the box, it should work)
Flooded field.wmv
Although we were only out for a couple of hours the day had gone by so quickly and the sky was darkening, but it had lifted my own spirits a little in thinking that I had made it into another year and it was all in front of us now, more long walks with the sun on our faces. Annie as usual managed to get a black mud line from chest to tail but a quick splash in the stream got rid of most of it and a rub down with an old towel did the rest, all we want now is the first signs of leaves on the Hawthorn and I will be a happy bunny, but that is a little way off yet. By the way, the red bells are Annies Christmas collar. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Winter Walk

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Enjoyed your walk H. Annie definitely loves to charge through the water ;) Doesn't even pause!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Glad you took advantage of the bright day for your walk H. The countryside is all looking ready to burst into bud in a few months time.......I love the spring with all the new greens. Annie is a terrier through and through. Our Millie used to do the same but she is 15 next birthday and now takes life much more sedately. :lol:

Nice set of pictures around your part of the world. :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

she is 15 next birthday and now takes life much more sedately. :lol:
And so she should, after all she is now a pensioner :lol:

A lot different today, but although it is very windy it seems to be warmer than late, very strange weather. :tk
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Enjoyed the walk with you & Annie, it is always a good read & full of information around your country side. :)
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Where is that lovely old church H? That's the kind of church Omar likes to visit, and knowing we are in the same vicinity it cant be too far away from us.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is All Saints at Church Lawton, it is in quite a nice setting, but in common with lots of churches they are kept locked other than for services. It does not have much in the way of stained glass windows, but does have some nice walks nearby. Maybe a better one in at nearby Astbury near to Congleton which has a more interesting churchyard and stained glass windows, I also found a medievel knights tomb in the churchyard there dating back to Henry V and somewhere on here I wrote a piece about it some years back. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love old churches too. They just have so much character and carry so much history.

I also love seeing the craggy old trees full of moss and lichen especially when they're real knarly and nobby.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Lovely, but missed the flooded field, plug in not supported. Love the Christmas collar -
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I think we may just drive around the area looking for a bloke with a little white dog and watch the reaction when an Egyptian hangs out the window asking for backsheesh :lol:
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

If you ask the way Robbo, it will be Horus with his hand out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy New Year
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Jayway wrote:Lovely, but missed the flooded field, plug in not supported. Love the Christmas collar -
Jay did you try clicking on the bit I said just below the video Flooded field.wmv and allowing Windows to open the file?

Robbo wrote
I think we may just drive around the area looking for a bloke with a little white dog and watch the reaction when an Egyptian hangs out the window asking for backsheesh
Or better still calling out "Tax" "tax" :lol:
If you want more precise directions just PM me :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Jayway wrote:Lovely, but missed the flooded field, plug in not supported. Love the Christmas collar -
I got the same message on a yellow banner at top of page BUT when I clicked Flooded Field.WMV as Horus said, It downloaded to the bottom of my screen and a 'double click' on that opened it in another window...