What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

It is really frustrating to have that sort of thing happen LLL, I am not talking family here, this was a friend and someone who actually suggested last week how nice it would be to come over for dinner even down to suggesting I could maybe bake some mince pies and top them off with a particular (and expensive) liqueur flavoured cream that they liked. So here I am today with a nice joint of beef that will have to be cooked even though it will be far too much for just me and its too late to freeze it, plus a pint of special cream that I will maybe have a spoonful of before dumping it, I cannot even give it to the cat as it has alcohol in it. I know that everyone can have a problem or a sudden illness, but sometimes you get the feeling that it is just a last minute excuse, not that they need one as they could have just not invited themselves in the first place, no one was twisting their arm, but like you I should maybe be less amicable in the future. :stp

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I shall be working... and I will probably come back and post that every day until around the 4th January :lol: Not too painful today, as I have 5 dogs going home and 6 dogs coming in, with 2 staff in along with Omar gently re-introducing himself to work. We didn't technically need him but better to ease him back in the routine gently than throw him in on Wednesday when its chaos.

We don't open Sunday afternoons, so I shall partake in watching football. I still have afternoon feeding to do, and bedtime checks etc but at least its all done without customers at the door. I have to delay having too many glasses of wine until after 7.30 as I have a diabetic dog in. Once he is jabbed at 7.45 I am officially off duty and can relax :wi
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you are not being too unkind to Omar and letting him settle back in gently :lol:
Just curious as to why Wednesday is a hectic day for the kennels?
And yes I wouldn't want you anywhere near me with a needle after you had quaffed a few :lol:
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Wednesday is the day before xmas eve... when people who are going away drop their dog off and go home and pack ready for their jolleys. These are the more organised brigade so most will come mid afternoon. I have 13 due in, and a further 12 in on xmas eve.. who will all be here between around 8.30 - 9.30, are generally less organised and in a panic over getting home, getting packed and being picked up by a taxi by 11am :lol:

The nice weather has stopped a last minute rush for kennels. One bad weekend of snow and ice and people would have decided to find a sunnier location for xmas dinner, and I would have been booked solid. As it is, we are pleasantly busy, but not killing ourselves to meet demands
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Now I understand :up I was thinking that it was every Wednesday and not just the Christmas rush.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Noooo, Tuesday and Wednesday is our weekend! Its when the kennels is at its quietest and we can escape for a few hours and have some time away and go out for dinner etc and not worry too much about a hangover :wi At this time of year, every day is a busy one, although I am escaping for lunch tomorrow to meet up with my family and have a few hours with them before the real work starts.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Robbo - are your kennels kennels? Or are your kennels like a living room with sofas and TVs and heavily carpeted floors? ;) ;) And do your dog guests get to bring their own blankets and toys?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, I get the impression (maybe wrongly) that Robbos kennels are a full scale business. The 'house-type' kennels I attribute to dog sitters! :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - I get the same impression and was half pulling her leg - BUT - there are some real FOO FOO doggy daycares and parlours and fancy places that charge an arm and a leg to watch your dog for a day (and ONLY a day - no over nights! ;) )
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Nowt so strange as folk, LLL! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - in the USA where I used to be there was a place beside the Gov't carpool parking lot that used to daycare your pampered pet large breed dog. There were several re-created living rooms with different shows on the TV in some of the rooms and radio on in others. The dogs (mostly large ones) had access to the outside with a sloped area where they could bask in hot sun (if they chose to do this) OR they could saunter down to the bottom of this area to a doggie swimming pool! And I did see some of them from time to time go INTO the pool. This place amused me no end to watch the dogs that were dropped off there. Mind I never was able to sit and watch for any length of time but ALL the dogs in this place looked purebred, all had the proverbial rhinestone collars or heavy leather collars and some even had nail polish. Very posh!! And I'd gues-timate there were probably about 20 dogs there at any given time. Am sure the owners were making a fortune and I'm sure the dog owners were paying a fortune to have their pampered babies day cared (in the lap of luxury).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was resident staff on duty one Christmas at Folkestone Dog Hotel quarantine and boarding kennels just over 50 years ago. We had about 120 dogs in quarantine about 100 in boarding and half the number of cats.

On Christmas day itself the rest of the staff worked half a day on rota to give basic coverage of needs. I was run off my feet of course, but the highlight of the day was when one of the kennels girls thought to bring me in Christmas Cocktails in a flask which we knocked back while eating our sandwiches, as a late lunch. I wonder what happened to that giggling teenager? She might be a great grandmother by now, doesn't time fly!
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I shall get part of my Christmas present from my youngest daughter.

She rang me from Australia last night to say that she had given enough money to the delightful coffee shop nearby for me to have lunch for a week or coffee for a month, as I choose. What a thoughtful gift, bless her.

My other daughter was coming for Christmas, but changed her plans a few weeks ago, and is arriving in the early hours of the 28th Dec. God willing.
Smile! It confuses people
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

My kennels are proper boarding kennels. Today we have new asphalt flooring going down in 2 kennel blocks and 2 cattery blocks. Its a tad chaotic. Those 'foo foo' kennels with beds and sofas and carpets make me shudder. Just how do you effectively disinfect in between dogs using them when everything in fabric. I am licenced for 72 dogs and 40 cats and 8 small animals... rabbits, piggies etc.

Today I am at my desk till 10.30am. then I have to drive to the wholesalers to buy enough food to keep everyone fed in the kennels till after xmas. Then I hot foot it home, get changed and meet my family for lunch in Frodsham... before hot footing it back to kennels for afternoon feeds and closing. Its going to be a bit touch and go getting everywhere I am supposed to be :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Oh well, Horus, you can go to the shelter and dish out some of your lovely food to unfortunate people. LLL, you let yourself be taken advantage of, used - - they have no respect. Families are something I have never needed or wanted, I can choose my friends. They say you can only find 6 friends in your lifetime, I did find mine but 4 are dead - -
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great story of your tipsy Christmas day all those years ago MD and what a great idea of your daughter to pre pay your lunches or coffee’s as each time you partake you will be thinking of her. They say it is the thought that counts and she had certainly given her present some thought.

@ Robbo, I wondered the same, lets face it a strange dog is not going to know not to poop or pee on a carpet in a kennel is it? And even if they don’t they are likely to tread something nasty over the furnishings, even with ‘Annie; I always check her feet when she has been outside just in case and always wash them after a walk.

@ Jay, a bit late for that I’m afraid.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My day has been exceptionally long! I have been awake for almost 48 hours now and am sitting here trying to will the time away until I can reasonably head off to bed! 8) The 'smiley' is how my eyes feel - full of grit and trying hard to stay open!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Why such a long day RS?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I got an email this morning that a gf who has been battling lung cancer for a long time passed away. She was remarkable in that from the time she got a "terminal" diagnosis she opened up a Celebration of Life, invited and encouraged everybody to come to her so she could say goodbye and absolutely refused to be sad or depressed about her passing. She strategized and planned her final few months down to the "goodbye" she had sent out to all of us once she passed. She highlighted her last days with a swim in the freezing waters of Comox Bay, daily wheelchair walks along the river, sitting in the sun on her front porch, few drinks with friends. She really did celebrate her life. RIP Trish.

The grandsons came over just cause it is Christmas break at their school. We read all the Dinosaur books, talked about "extinction" - which means to them all the dinosaurs ran and ran and ran 'til they could run more and ran past by ALL the food then there was a BIG BOOM! And they disappeared. All told in high voice with lots of arm movements and jumping off the ground to signify the BOOM part.

Last trip to the grocery store before Christmas after driving them home and now watching TV for the night.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Robbo - I have no idea how these places are kept clean. I never saw the inside but did get introduced to this "Foo Foo" place via a local half hour TV show that profiled it as a Day Spa for your dog. Seemed pretty lush and plush to me but ??? How they're disinfecting and cleaning it is beyond me. MY dog went to a kennel kennel that had a wire roof on the top of the run cause he was a jumper and escape artist. His "cell" ;) was just a concrete kennel with blanket on a wooden box. Mine couldn't "Play nice" with the other dogs so his was a solitary life when in kennel but that was his life ;) And I personally don't feel bad that he had to live that way when I went away on holidays as he otherwise had a really GOOD life.