Quite pleased this morning

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Quite pleased this morning

Post by Horus »

I am quite pleased with myself this morning, you may recall that last week I said I had been busy writing and a few of you were speculating on what it was about. Well actually for the past couple of months I have been doing a short Egyptology course run by Manchester University in conjunction with Coursera who offered it for free. It was an online course with video lectures from the University and weekly tests on the work covered, it was called ‘Ancient Egypt: A History in Six Objects’ and ended with a ‘Submission’ to be written on your own chosen objects that represented all or a particular period of the ancient history of Egypt, it was that submission that I was busy writing.
It covered a broad range of the Egyptology timeline from Pre-Dynastic Egypt to the last Pharaohs such as Cleopatra and was a very interesting and informative course. Lots of social input from other students and great support from the lectures and I enjoyed doing it. I started my course a week or so late, but quickly caught up and by the end I was a week or so in front, so was quite pleased with my own efforts. We were allowed to access our results after 1 am this morning so I was eagerly clicking the buttons to see how I had done, initial results seem to show I did very well and passed at Level 1, but these are still subject to official marking by the lecturers which I believe will be done in a week or so. We will get some sort of ‘Statement of Accomplishment’ from the University so I hope it looks nice, if so I will lash out and buy a frame. :lol: :lol: I did see a few people on the Blue side who talked about the possibility of doing the same course, but I have not seen anyone making any comments about it in the last few weeks, so maybe I will ask over there if anyone else did it.

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Quite pleased this morning

Post by Kiya »

Sounds though you have done well Horus.....Congratulations :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Kiya. :up
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I know she no longer posts on the blue side, but Jane Akshar did one of those Manchester uni courses I think. she is on the facebook luxor4u page still though.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Robbo70 wrote:I know she no longer posts on the blue side, but Jane Akshar did one of those Manchester uni courses I think. she is on the facebook luxor4u page still though.
I did see her name pop up in one of the forums where we students ( :lol: :lol: ) put our various questions and comments, not sure if she was doing this course or just making a post on there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My morning "Congrats" to you disappeared from this thread as well - but "Congrats H!"

I like Coursera. Quite fits me in my dotage ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just got this link from COURSERA and thought I'd share it here. The link shows the top 10 most popular courses of 2015 and give the breakdown of subject areas and stuff they offer.

https://www.coursera.org/browse?utm_med ... nguages=en

I do like them as it is totally free however the subjects and course material is really quite comprehensive so if you have an area of interest Coursera might be for you.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I got that one myself LLL :up
I keep toying with taking up a Computer programming course :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Coursera courses are offered by relatively prestigious Universities around the world and offer Researchers a much wider audience to present their own area(s) of expertise to vs the old "Abstracts" of years gone by that you had to know about/purchase at quite a price. And as these are now essentially publically presented courses the Universities behind them are also wanting their reputations to be upheld so I know some of the courses can be quite complex and comprehensive.

I've followed a couple for interest only and haven't bothered to request formal credit for taking them but it is my understanding if you are a student and take one of these courses there is a mechanism for you to gain formal university transfer credit that counts towards your degree.