Amaryllis Challenge (open to all)

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Amaryllis Challenge (open to all)

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Mmmm - too late - I've sunk the paint stir sticks and tied up the stalks. Looking ok and nothing is wilting and it has now been a few hours since it toppled.

Seriously I'm not sure I'd actually have anything to prop up the buds - didn't think about doing it that way but now that I'm thinking on it I don't have anything that I could rig up to hold the flower stalk up right.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is where my Amaryllis is now. You can see the second bud has cracked open but has a week or so to go before all the flowers are actually out and in bloom.

I measured across the top best I could and my flower on the first stalk is about 10" to 10.5" wide total

This is where it broke over (UGH - :cry: )

And to date this is all I have for leaf development. Two small leaves probably 4" high.

But the BIG BIG BIG flower in bright red is definitely super impressive :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely flower LLL, shame you broke the stem :( it does look as if you are about to het some green leaves though. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looking good LLL :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here is what will probably be my last picture in this thread, taken on a grotty day. All four flowers are fully open and looking really nice, I reckon the colour is more red than Orange, but I don't mind that as I prefer the red. It has plenty of leaf growth and I may just try to keep it for next Christmas, but the timing has to be right and I may forget to bring it out in time for it to flower at Christmas. So unless flower number 2 looks as good then this is probably as good as it is going to get. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My second flower stalk is flowering now so it is just one big blob of bright red colour. Looks wonderful.

Will I try and grow this bulb and bring it back - hmmmm - might but I've never had luck and I've tried mega times. Mine still only has 2 leaves and they're only about 5" high and both still between the 2 flower stalks.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You really do need those leaves to grow in order to revive the bulb, if it stays green put it outside in the full sun as soon as you get the chance when the weather warms up. Ideally dig the whole pot into the soil and give it a plant feed once a month, don't re-pot as they like to be pot bound. leave it until the leaves go yellow or brown then cut them back to about 2" above the bulb and put the whole thing somewhere cool and dark for a couple of months Sept & Oct and don't water, Around the middle Novemeber brink it back inside again and cross your fingers. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Will give it a try - probably - unless these 2 little leaves just don't develop and die back. I will say in the past I've re-potted the bulbs to bigger pots but I can tell you that that doesn't make 'em grow.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ideally you should only have enough room around the bulb to push in sufficient soil to hold the bulb securely. Forgot to say that when you take out your 'dried out' pot and bulb to restart the flowering cycle, you can carefully scrape out the top 1 to 2 inches of soil/compost and replace it with some fresh stuff. It is also very important when you start your re-watering not to get any water in the top of the dry bulb where the old leaves are as this will cause it to rot. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well I suppose it didn't do too bad saying as it was almost open by Christmas. It managed a second bloom seen here in this picture, but it became very top heavy and I had to tie the leaves together. Today I will cut the flower stalk back and hopefully try and save the bulb for another year.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Last week I cut the second flower stalk off as the flowers were dead and gone. I now have 3 leaves that are about 6" high. I've got it in the back window (on a table in front of the window) beside the spider plant. The leaves seem to be growing nicely so will leave it grow back there until I can get it outside.

Night before last it froze and last night it was down to 36 degrees when I went to bed so just a bit too nippy to put it outside. Too set too but I'm going to put it out into the garden and let it grow and see if it will come back and bloom next year.

The bulb itself seems pretty hard and solid so am hoping it'll grow to bloom again.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think you need to keep it indoors until the weather warms up ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah - I've got it tucked back behind the spider plant and it can happily grow there for another couple months. I'd love to get one to flower again even if it took a couple of years.

As I've said before my own personal suspicion is that these are so hybridized and forced that everything just gets sucked out of them but the bulb seems pretty healthy and, I just took a photo to show you and I actually have 5 leaves that are about 12" high (hadn't noticed). My fear is though the leaves are going to grow at the same pace as the flowers which means mega growth fast thus sapping the bulb/plant of nutrients and future growth.

Will see
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is the leaves that will build up the bulb for next time, so try and keep them going as long as possible and lightly watered until around early September.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Well I am feeling a bit left out as I didnt buy the 9.99 flower. So I shall just say my strawberries are still giving me one or two a week that I eat cut up tiny, with sugar and cream.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is what my amaryllis is looking like now. The leaves seem healthy and there are actually 5 of them. Looking down into the plant I'm not seeing anymore coming. Not sure how many leaves a healthy amaryllis should have.

The jade is getting put into a larger pot in another month or so and will then go outside for the summer. It is only 1 plant with a main tree stalk. Had a gorgeous one years ago that I was able to shape into a big tree with 1 main truck and branches. Looked lovely. The spider plant goes outside on the back plant stand and seems to blossom all summer but barely tolerates being in the house this time of year.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Never mind Jay :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have to get out there and organize my strawberry plants. There is a section of the yard that has lots of them. So far I've just let them send out runners and go down anywhere but this year I'm going to be digging up that area and getting specific plants (herbs) put down along with some lettuce/kale and maybe carrots as it is a raised bed.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My amaryllis is still going strong in that it has 5 leaves, dark green, quite long and looking super healthy. No sign at all that the leaves are suffering in the least. I have it on a low table underneath the orchid facing the back window. The bulb seems to be pretty hard too.

Now that we're mid-May we're past all frost (knock on wood). I haven't put it outside yet but will get it out there soon (have been looking around for a stronger outer pot so it won't blow over as I have it sitting in a decorative one now).
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Leave it in the pot and dig it into the soil until around September