I Hate Sticky Fingers

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

I Hate Sticky Fingers

Post by Grandad »

Not the title you might think but people who can't resist stealing at any opportunity. Two recent occasions of such thefts of my property.

About a month ago I took my car to a very reputable local garage for annual service and MOT test. The garage has every car cleaned inside and out before collection by the owner. This is a service for which there is no charge. My car was spotless and smelled nice on collection. :up

However, after a couple of days I found that two one pound coins had been taken from a small door pocket. They were there for supermarket trolleys. I had removed all valuables, sat nav, camera, binoculars, etc. but forgot the coins so wrote it down to my fault for leaving them in the car. :td A few weeks later I went to check the tyre pressures. I keep a nice accurate dial pressure gauge in a boot compartment where the emergency tyre repair kit is stored. The gauge had also been taken. :td I have reported it to the garage not expecting to get my property back but to alert them to a 'tea leaf' in their midst.

The other occasion is about online purchases from QVC. Mrs G is an ardent fan of QVC and it is a good source of gifts for Christmas at this time. :up In recent four weeks we have placed 4 orders and two of them never reached my front door. These were smallish packages and anyone recognising QVC envelopes would guess that they probably contain either cosmetic or jewellery items. Easily pocketed by an unscrupulous postman. :td Until about a year ago we had the same daily postman and never had anything go missing or wrongly delivered. :up Since then the daily delivery system was changed and we, and neighbours, have had mail wrongly delivered. :td So my suspicions are directed at the postie who may be a different one several times a week.

QVC refund in full with no questions and taking the honesty of their customers. :up It sickens me that so many will stoop to steal items of little value and usually get away with it. :td

Just wanted to get that off my chest.
:xx

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: I Hate Sticky Fingers

Post by Horus »

I know where you’re coming from Grandad, that sort of pilfering really gets my goat, the problem to me lies with either cheap seasonal workers of unknown origin, to low lives that again fall into the casual worker bracket. It is amazing how many new credit cards go missing in the post, again an easy item to spot, but why do so many companies openly advertise the contents of packages or envelopes?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had an Uncle who was the head Accountant for the City of Vancouver (now one of the most expensive cities in the world). He balanced the books and had final say of all the $$. At one point either somebody proposed an unscrupulous deal to him or he saw an amount of money that he could have skimmed - something like that I don't know the details.

What I do remember is him talking at length about the value people place on their lives & time for a theft if caught. He elaborated on this point saying something to this effect - "I thought about taking the money but then I thought what is my life worth? If I take X and get caught is X worth me losing 5/10/15/20 years of my life in jail? I really asked myself how much money would it take to tempt me if the downside was I was to lose X years of my life freedom in jail?"

I'm not saying it well but I head that story from him as a young teen and it always stuck with me. Would I want to go to jail for whatever period of time for taking i.e. a cheap t-shirt in a store?

Just like my stolen bike - it was an OLD OLD bike. Really not worth any amount of money (AND I had an old bike because I didn't want an expensive one to worry about it being stolen.)

I can appreciate the "sticky finger" sentiment. Seems anything not nailed down these days is now walking. I really don't know if stealing is becoming more common because the onus on proving it was stolen is on the owner and there is very little police efforts to go into petty thieving as they are totally swamped with the shear volume of thefts happening.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I know where you’re coming from Grandad, that sort of pilfering really gets my goat, the problem to me lies with either cheap seasonal workers of unknown origin
I think you have got it right there H. I know that the car cleaners are Romanian and the posties are probably Christmas temps.

I do so agree about packaging and envelopes with the senders details. We use an M & S credit card for just about every purchase. We clear it every month but get M & S cash vouchers and hot drink vouchers every three months. We received this quarters vouchers today. Relatively small value, £32 of cash vouchers and £32 of drinks vouchers. In bold letters on the envelope was printed 'Your REWARD Statement'. What an invitation to anyone with sticky fingers...

I think we should all make an effort to keep things out of temptations way, but the biggest culprits are the commercial concerns..
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What I really hate getting are all the credit card offers. The envelopes come highly coloured and printed and whilst 'sort of' junk mail are also an open invite for anybody to apply for a credit card in my name.

I try and stop further offers asap by mailing the actual application back with a VOID scored through it and "take me off your list"

In Canada I have what is called a "Super Box" which is a cubicle in a large mail box on the street that operates off a key. During this last political election it became an election issues that is seems everybody in Canada wants mail delivery to go back to house to house WHICH IMO is ridiculous as the distances are phenomenal and Canada Post has been losing revenue for years and years. Now that the NEW Prime Minister is in place (Justin Trudeau) one of his first acts has been to put a stop on all NEW Super Boxes and start re-instituting door to door deliver - UGH!!!

I don't have a mail box by my front door but am going to have to find one with a lock vs just a flip lid OR I need to think about having somebody cut a mail slot into my front door so mail can be inserted right into the house. I don't really want that as that decreases a bit of my insulation value and the door mail things here don't look to be seemingly insulated that well.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - will you take your car back to this garage? Now that they've broken trust will you ever be able to trust them again?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@ Grandad - will you take your car back to this garage? Now that they've broken trust will you ever be able to trust them again?
Yes but I will spray everywhere with smart water. :lol: