Waiting for Spring

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Waiting for Spring

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In the last few days the BULBS have arrived. This means here that you have to buy fast as they'll disappear quickly.

I bought 10 pounds of daffodils which equaled about 120 bulbs. They were labelled "King Alfred Like" so am assuming they're just plain yellow. Got them all planted. Took me about 3 hours as I had to move bark mulch, cut through the weed barrier cloth and then dig the hole and sprinkle bone meal but I got them planted in clumps of 8 or 9 bulbs a hole. BUT they only took up half the garden. Went back today and - ALL GONE already!!! DRATS! And in my world nobody knows IF another shipment will ever arrive.

Since I was at the store I now noticed other bulbs were put out so I ended up buying 30 crocus (that was 3 packages of 10) that were mixed and 8 Allium called "Sensation." They apparently bloom late fall and are only about 24" - 36" high. I only wanted 1 clump of them.

Not sure what else I want. There are lots of tulips there but they really only last 1 season. If I plant 10 I'll get 9 in the spring. The next year I'll 5, next year 1 or 2 and then none. I think it is just too wet here and/or they're so highly hybridized they just don't last (like Roses here).

Need to find some more bulbs so I can get them in and get colour all through the season. I didn't have any bulbs planted for this past spring because last December was when I had the man in to make the garden and then it got so ridiculously hot these past few months I stopped planting as I couldn't keep what I did plant watered.

What else is a good bulb to look for for spring and summer?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Waiting for Spring

Post by Horus »

You could try Hyacinth, Snowdrops, Dwarf Iris along with the other stuff you mentioned for Spring flowering and as a bonus most are not attractive to deer.
For Summer you could try Gladiolus at the back because they are tall, again Allium would be OK, plant Begonia in bigger drifts and you could try some Freesia. :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

What is a good bulb ?? I really dont know LLL as I only plant food. Potato have nice flowers, runner beans are very pretty climbing up a frame, apple trees can be trained along a wire so you never have to reach up to pick them, onions have lovely green leaves and if you forget to pick them make tall green balls of seeds, I have a jar of them dried, they go from white to pink, very pretty and dont drop. Chillies are nice, pick, thread and dry indoors, then use for decorations or to eat - - -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good ideas. I do keep the food planting out back and I think next year my soil will be in a much better position to grow veggies than this year. Nothing really rotting and making the soil "perk" yet.