Introducing HUATULCO (Mexico)

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Introducing HUATULCO (Mexico)

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The town of Huatulco really quite appealed to me even though it is a town specifically developed to accommodate tourists. It is located on the water and if one wanted to fish (they were catching sword fish!!!), swim, snorkel, cruise about there was a plethora of sailing devices aka boats to accommodate. Huatulco was also one of the most humid places I've ever been in.

Disembarked and strolled into town which started right at the pier. All the stores and shops featured all the typical Mexican wares from silver jewelry to sarapes to pottery to art. I didn't buy this picture however was really tempted. I know we've all compared some of the art work we have in our homes and seems MY style of what I like is rather different ;) ;) (which is fine by me). This photo spoke to me but will leave it to you all guess what 1 thing IN the photo dissuaded me from purchasing it.

After walking around for a while I ended up hiring a taxi for a couple hours along with an English speaking guide to drive me around. This particular town as it is designed specifically for tourists had like a 'Chamber of Commerce' in the middle where they openly advertised their prices to take you around. Have to say it was so nice to have this option vs trying to haggle with a tout about where you wanted to go, what you wanted to do and what you wanted to see. We went into the old town and, of course I wanted to see the church.

Stopped and bought a coconut as one of my most favourite things in the world to drink is coconut water. This kid had a truck full and his machete cutting of the coconut was pretty expert.

The tour guide fellow took me to the old part of town where there is a huge old weaving mill. Pretty crudely made and it was definitely huge. I'm not even sure given the width how the shuttles would be passed back and forth by one person. I didn't see any other tourists around so am thinking that this place wasn't too well known and the guide said they do work this place daily and sell their items locally (last photo).

One of the ladies came and showed me how they were making the dyes and indicated that all materials and dyes were made from every day objects - dried pomegranate skins, nuts etc. I'm show the series of photos as after she grated the pomegranate skin she then used a lime to be able to change the colour of the dye. Am proud of that photo as I actually caught a drop of the lime juice in mid-air. Was really quite interesting and I struggled with the 'to buy or not to buy' however I finally talked myself out of buying because (and I know this from past experience) - the colour run AND once your hardwood floor or wall is stained you can't get the stain out. Sad to say I didn't buy anything from this place but I know from past purchases that Mexican items are heavily naturally dyed and if you're not super careful one day they can ruin something else you might have.

This man was selling jewelry to the tourists back by the boat. Am thinking the silver he was selling was not the modern silver with rhodium but the old silver that you have to polish. Basing this on the polishing cloth he has. Years ago in Mexico you couldn't go into jewelry shops without seeing these black clothes everywhere as all the staff continuously polished the silver.

Stopped at this small cantina to buy a drink on my way back to the boat

Overall I can't quite put my finger on what made Huatulco appeal to me but I think it was the laid back nature of the Mexican people living there. Nobody was trying for all they were worth to get you to buy something and some of what they were selling was quite different. The humidity was probably over 100%. Super high.

The one problem with Huatulco is that it is relatively isolated. Would take with all the plane connections to get there close to 24 hours of travel. Something I'd have to factor in if I opted to return here in future.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Introducing HUATULCO (Mexico)

Post by Horus »

Another great set of pictures LLL and some very interesting info, you are certainly getting some good shots with that camera :up
My guess on the painting was that although you like visiting churches, it was the inclusion of the religious iconography that put you off ?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Exactly - I liked the entire LEFT side of the picture but then they went and inserted the religious stuff AND the Mayan calendar too. Was actually pretty obvious but I quite like the colours and the faces but then inserting the other stuff particularly IN the body of the person ....... I think the artist was making a statement and trying to say how strong and sacred the family is there.

I do like art that has strong colours ;) And I also like pictures that are pictures especially real pictures that are painted by real locals.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Fantastic set of pics :)

How interesting to see the old style wooden looms, brings back a lot of happy memories of my first years of work at our local woollen mill, not much difference in style to the more modern looms.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Very interesting, will be trying the grated pomegranate later on my off white rug and teeshirt. That must be the ugliest church you have found so far - talk about Hollywood - - :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've always been fascinated with churches, castles and other heritage buildings. Just love the architecture and building structure and interior decorations - however I don't disagree with you that this particular church was "something else." Usually Mexican churches are nothing short of beautiful. I think it was the Costa Rica church that was full of town people who were cleaning the floors and all the kneelers were up ended and over to one side blocking all the stained glass windows.

This particular church must have had an aspiring Michelangelo in the congregation as the ceilings and little coved areas were reminiscent of his world and whomever the artist was he wasn't afraid to use colours. I'm thinking the same artist did the entire church as the faces all have a similar 'look' to them. In this particular case talk about gawdy!!

The view from the front of this church going to the doors.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As you say LLL, very colourful :D
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

What can one say really - poor artist did his best no doubt. Hope he didn't find out what some people thought of it. Near miss, but indeed off target.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In the second picture baby Jesus looks a bit strange and Mary seems to be doing her best to show off her shoulders :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The word "garish" came to mind when I saw this ceiling and the artists definitely had his own stylized way to capture faces but ? The place was definitely colourful and whomever the artist was he or she was definitely 'up' there (ceilings were HIGH) doing a Michelangelo impersonation! ;)

Most churches are tastefully beautiful. The outsides are usually non-descript but go through the doors and they're wonderful - however - this one definitely had its own unique style! ;) ;) ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Still trying to catch up on what I missed LLL.
More great pictures and an interesting text. :up
I think the problem with the dyers is that they have not found a way to 'fix' the dyes. A wise move to steer clear though. ;)
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:In the second picture baby Jesus looks a bit strange and Mary seems to be doing her best to show off her shoulders :o
I hadn't noticed that Horus, but looking closer I was struck by the eyebrows. Everyone including baby Jesus has the same perfectly groomed brows. :?
Smile! It confuses people
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Very nice to see the extra photos LLL. Totally awful, I would have been unable to hold a camera with a giggling fit, seeing the baby jesus on steroids - - :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I can always appreciate the art, for arts sake, in churches but the over embellishment in catholic churches offends my agnostic views. Most such churches are to be found in poorer countries and it always seems totally inappropriate that poor people contribute for the creation of such lavish interiors.
Religion is at the root of most conflicts around the world and, although the Islamic community has much to answer for, I do find mosques appropriate in their simple interiors as just a place for believers to worship.
Just look at the over the top interior of The Church of St Salvation in my Dubrovnik picture.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I find it funny that I love wandering around churchyards, reading tombstones; studying stained glass windows and generally appreciating church buildings, and yet I don't believe in anything! The worst churches I have seen so far in terms of garishness and too gaudy for words were in Portugal! :td The church that my eldest son got married in has recently been refurbished, with laminate flooring and blonde wood chairs, and I was appalled! The lovely old pews etc. all ripped out! :sd
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Loved your photo of the church you visited and, as always :roll: I have questions but already asked my 'quota' for the day! ;) BUT comparatively the church you visited was superb and tasteful and quite different compared to this particular church I went to in Mexico.

@RS - I have the same fascination and also love to stroll through churches and the grounds. Not sure why I'm so attracted to seeing churches, particularly Catholic churches (am not Catholic) but I definitely do love visiting them and all the old cemeterys equally appeal. Love reading the inscriptions on the head stones and noting the dates from way back when.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I also find churchyards and cemeteries interesting but only for the inscriptions. Not their relevance to the church.
But lavish interiors to churches 'To the Glory of God' seem so false when a believer does not need such extravagance to simply connect with their God.

But those are the words of a grumpy agnostic (or perhaps atheist) old man. ;)

BUT, as I said before, I DO appreciate art for arts sake. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My fascination with churches relates more to the architecture - the beautiful stained glass windows - stuff like that.

I do find some of the (ahem) artifacts for lack of a better word in some churches "interesting" to say the least.

In Columbia (and the name of the churches is momentarily absent from my old brain) the first church we went to housed by the altar these human bones

In one of the main churches in Cartagena the altar was beautiful, very tall BUT housed at the bottom (see the red area in the bottom lower left by the white flowers) are the remains of a Saint. I find this rather - well - ummm - "Different" and am not too sure that housing the body of a Saint in the alter area is, well, really kosher ;)

This was a close up of the body (cause I wasn't quite believing that the Catholic Church would really house a body 'on display' in perpetuity on an alter but they do (and this wasn't the only one I saw). All very interesting to me.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Looks like we all have the same fascination for old churchyards and reading headstones :o and like the rest of you I am also a none believer and find the fact that people should need to venerate some old bones a bit strange. :?: but on the whole churches and their architecture I find very interesting.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, you mention stained glass windows. Well we have something very special going on in connection with the cathedral. If I can find time (and park on a yellow line :lol: ) I will get some pics. I know you will love this. It is called The Ancestors but that is all I am saying for now. ;) ;)