Quiet!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Quiet!

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You've all gone quiet! Have you all been waiting for the new Royal birth? :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Quiet!

Post by Mad Dilys »

Nothing to report Ma'am except that the last week I've started to go to bed earlier and earlier - 5.00pm today.

It's warmer, more comfortable and my trusty Kindle is a better companion than the huge downstairs TV with muffled sound.

I've put the bedroom radiators on for the first time in ages.

Looking out the window at the wet, grey Welsh world it could be any time of day, any day of the year. Apart from an occasional passing car there is no sound, it's like a heavy grey blanket over everything.

Today is one of the many where I will not see or speak to another person, but it has it's advantages.

Happily, I have tea and a snack to hand, my computer is fully charged and I'm warm and comfortable. Al Hamdulillah. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Nothing much to talk about RS. Fed up with all the election lies but we don't talk politics on here and I voted by post nearly 2 weeks ago. :(
I am very pleased for William and Kate on the birth of their second child. She can now ban him from the bedroom......got it right first time girl. :lol: :lol:
Nobody has mentioned the Nepal earthquake but other than make a donation to the DEC appeal we can do little else. :(
It is still pretty cold and I am thinking of taking a leaf out of MD's book and retiring early.....on second thoughts......move over MD. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Welcome Grandad. ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

You've taken the words from my mouth, Grandad! :lol: Move over, MD! I had my grandaughter this afternoon and I feel absolutely cream crackered now. I think the change in the weather has got a bit to do with it too. The quilt went back on the bed last night and I really didn't want to get up this morning. I had a sad phone call this afternoon too. I have a quilting friend who is 82 and her very closest friend died last night. Both of them were widowed at quite a young age and they became 'ladies wot lunch' if you know what I mean. They were both very keen gardeners and made many trips out together, visiting NT houses and gardens. Once the funeral is over, I will have to think of ways to keep my friend occupied so she doesn't have time to sit and brood.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Bless her, you too RS
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Iv'e been busy, busy, a full days visit to Chatsworth House on Thursday, my brothers birthday bash on Friday, been doing a load of baking today, real Cornish Pasties and a proper Lemon Meringue flan with fresh lemons. A friend round tomorrow evening for a barbecue regardless of the weather, if wet I will sit inside the conservatory and keep nipping out to tend the food and when it's done we will sit inside the conservatory with the portable gas heater on sipping Bailey's Cream with a dash of Whiskey and chat the evening away listening to my Jukebox playing all my old favourites and watching my garden lights twinkling away, so thats me all sorted then. :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Sounds heavenly, Horus.

Looking out of the window this morning, I see it's another Groundhog Day. :lol:

So to break this cycle, I will, Inshallah complete the minor house spring-clean I started yesterday and go wild in the aisles on Amazon! :oops:

However, another cup of tea in bed and a bit more twiddling on the computer calls before I get serious about life. :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

I have been up since six, a stray dog wandered over to eat a hen, so my dogs threw a fit. Its cloudy today - yuk, Yesterday was small clothes weather and lounging on my sunbed reading. The evening was shelling peas again and watching rubbish TV that is losing channels daily. Watched last weeks Britains got Talent on youtube, strange hypnodog - what was that about ? ? ? Hey Horus, you could get a Cornish Pastie into one of those padded envelopes ? and my addres is -- xnxncnvmn dmsmdm 4746
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The weather is not that clever here this morning, but I still have a bit of housework to do before my visitor arrives. I have some new LED lights to string up along a few fence panels, but have not done so yet, so theres another little job that need s finishing, busy, busy. :up

@Jay, it will need to be a big envelope, my Pasties are huge, enough for two people, I kid you not! ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

My eldest son has just returned from a chill out 10 days in Sharm. Always borrows cases from us and I returned a large one to the loft yesterday and.......

There are no Picasos or Rembrandts in my loft but as a storage area it comes into 4 sections. 1) A range of trolley suit cases from small overnighters to large 3 week tour jobs. :lol: 2) Quite a lot of books, some on shelves that I constructed up there, 3) Some garden furniture for over winter, and a few other spare furniture items. 4) And this took up most space, is empty cardboard boxes.

Whenever I buy something I always keep the box and all packaging in case I need to return it of, as is often the case, I sell it on via ebay when packaged as original helps to sell more quickly. I decided yeaterday morning to rid myself of most of that packaging, broke down all boxes (except resellable items), then two trips to recycling to dispose of it all.
Wow! I now have some space in my loft again. :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:oops: I keep boxes too but I'm nearly in control on plastic bags............ and wire ties........and bits of ribbon .....and letters and documents going back 20 years or more ........:up

My mother used to keep brown paper bags under the seat cushion of her wing chair. I sneaked 80 or so out one day without too much problem as it had become very wobbly to sit on.

Bags I can understand, but not used envelopes which she also saved. :ni:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As your title says RS, it's Quiet......Oh So Quiet, which reminded me of this:

I always liked Bjork, a little bit strange but unique.

But it is SO quiet, Horus has been busy in the kitchen, so he told us, but no sign of any culinary delights. ;) LLL has been conspiuous by her absence for the last 3 weeks but we should see her again tomorrow or Wednesday.

As for yours truly, nothing much happening. Went to the coast this morning for a walk along the prom. Lots of people strolling, many with dogs, and many on bikes. New regs come into force end of month, no dogs off lead on the beach (for obvious reasons :( ) There was a 10K charity run but that didn't interest me as I hobbled up the long path to the top of Tankerton Slopes. :lol:

When we walked down the steps to the beach on our arrival I was struck by a pleasant scent in the air. I recognised that smell and my mind was instantly taken back to the early war years when we would visit relatives in the area and and myself and my cousins would go out and about when that scent was in the air. Strange how a smell can bring back memories.

Anyhow, the smell was from Hog's Fennel that grows in profusion on the slopes and along the North Kent coast. It is almost exclusively found in this area and North Essex coast. A large clump can be seen to the left in this first picture

and more on the slopes in this short pano.

That is about as exciting as my life has been the last couple of days, in need of a holiday I think; Oh, tomorrow morning I have a visual field test and eye appointment at the hospital, can't get much worse.......can it? :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Good luck Grandad or tomorrow. :up
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Good Luck Grandad ....(what a weird video ! ) Been busy too, tomato in and the older ones strung up, onions in, 3 separate plots so I can weed without walking on the ground. This year is wild oat year, everywhere, so many places to cut them for Glory. The only not so good thing is that they make her a bit energetic and stupid, like leaping up in the air when a bird flew up- HUH. Have a huge box of lemon cubes frozen, done for my morning drink all thro summer, fingers hurt from shelling peas and wrist swollen from squeezing lemons .. pathetic .. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hogs Fennel, is that the one that smells a bit like Aniseed Grandad?
Wild Oats? Iv'e heard of sowing them, but not gathering them ;)
My Lemon Merigue lasted about 30 minutes before the Gannets descended upon it, must admit it was lovely and tangy, but far too much work involved in making them unless you cheat and buy prepared ingredients. My daughter called in and several of my freshly made Cornish Pasties disappeared, so only two (large) ones made it into the chest freezer, had a pleasant weekend and Bank Holiday spent in a mainly sunny garden sipping wine and listening to music with a friend. Will be busy again for this comming Friday when I am having a few more friends around, about six of us for an informal evening quaffing beers and wines with an accompanying Chinese meal (ordered in) and once again held in my conservatory with a suitable choice of easy listening on the Jukebox, should be a good night, it usually is. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You tripped my memory J. Thank you so much, my family have asked me to write my memories down - I won't enhance them by calling them memoirs. :lol:

My first horse was a dun mare I bought at a market, in foal with foal at foot. £90 delivered as she didn't reach her reserve. Her descents seemed fated for an early death or drama one way and another.

We called her Gemini, the foal she was carrying was born in the bulrushes in spite of all our attempts to fence off the pond - hence Mr. Moses. That was the start of his dramas.

She then visited an Arab stallion imported from Jordan and had a foal born at sunrise, a bright chestnut Morning Glory, or Glory Boy. I had scrupulously searched every fence and hedge on our new smallholding for barbed wire and removed a trailer load. However Gemini managed to find the only piece left at ankle height and dropped her foal up against it - ripping his legs and face in his effort to stand. The only good this was that my husband was a Vet so I didn't have to pay for the repairs.

When he was a three year old I had a good offer for him from Belgium as a potential racing pony based on his father's breeding. But I wanted him to stay in the UK - just in case. I sent him to be backed to a stables that I had used before on young horses I'd bought and I knew would be kindly looked after.

To cut a long story short he ended up dead lame after climbing up his huge hay net and hanging by a foot over night............. He stayed lame for 4 more years! Then quite suddenly he was OK. After more ups and downs he finally found a wonderful home, and when the owners had to part reluctantly with him they gave me first chance to buy him back. :lol:

The name Glory just floods me with memories, sorry about the rant. :oops:

PS Sorry about the typos written in haste and no time to correct. :oops:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

All doing normal things and keeping occupied then folks. :up Nice stories about your horses MD and Jay, Never had much contact with horses but I do think they are beautiful animals.

The cooking sounds very tasty H, I am rather partial to lemon meringue pie. :up

I would not describe the scent of Hog's fennel as aniseed, more perfumed than that, but very pleasant on the air.

Thanks for your best wishes re eye appointment. Left eye continues to remain quite strong but the right eye is deteriorating with a very limited visual field. I saw the top man and he changed one of my drops (Xalatan) to Valaton to further stengthen the pressure control. As long as I can continue to drive, all is well. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I must be thinking of something else Grandad, I remember this particular tall herb growing wild in Cypruss and it smelled of Aniseed and thought it may be your Hog's Fennel. I used to be prescribed Xalatan for my Glaucoma, but it was changed to one called Lanaprost, I reckon because it is a cheaper alternative and saves our practice money. Lovely story about the horses MD nice memories to have and look back on, I too love horses, magnificent creatures. Don't worry about typo's and spelling, early in the morning I often fire off replies without really checking either. :oops:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Xalatan contains Latanoprost H. The one that he changed me to is basically Xalatan but with an added beta blocker. ( I thought he called it Valaton but could have misheard, prescription is at the pharmacy). I also use Cosopt twice a day, both eyes.
Not got to a stage of having any replacement parts...............yet! :lol: