HOME ALONE

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

HOME ALONE

Post by Kiya »

Because I will be "home alone" in a few weeks when Roy moves into his new house I just wondered what am I to do with myself & time, besides the usual daily house chores I started to think of my hobbies

1 Photography
2 Cooking
3 Baking
4 Reading
5 Computer classes
6 Knitting (I've started again)
7 Shopping
8 Home decorating

I'm wondering what else I could add to my list :?: :?: :?:

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: HOME ALONE

Post by Horus »

Kiya wrote:Because I will be "home alone" in a few weeks when Roy moves into his new house I just wondered what am I to do with myself & time, besides the usual daily house chores I started to think of my hobbies

1 Photography
2 Cooking
3 Baking
4 Reading
5 Computer classes
6 Knitting (I've started again)
7 Shopping
8 Home decorating

I'm wondering what else I could add to my list :?: :?: :?:
Think of it as a wonderful new chapter in your life Kiya, each day is your own. Today for example I decided not to go shopping or the bank or all the other Thursday jobs I usually do, instead I am sitting here doing something else. Some to add to your list could be more Photo Editing Skills and maybe a bit of gardening once the weather improves and how about getting out on a few coach trips with your camera and probably make a few new friends on the way. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Photo editing is a must do ;) or learn how to make/present a slide show :)

Gardening I'm not so sure on, never been green fingered, I could try a little vegetable plot, my garden is huge so plenty room :)

Coach trips I have thought on since I received my bus pass, think of all the castles/historical buildings I can visit all over Scotland :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Ever thought of writing Kiya? I thought your Rome holiday account was well written and I detected a hidden scribe somewhere inside you. Have you got something in your family history that could form the basis of a novel or even a biography.....I shall keep an eye on the best seller lists. ;) :lol:

PS. I was prompted to suggest the above because with my upcoming 80th I have thought just recently about writing some of my own memoirs. There is so much in my head that I think I should commit to paper for the family. Many recollections of the war years would be prominent, perhaps your post will give me the nudge I need. :up ;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I never had a minute to myself when I worked and now that I'm not working I still don't have a minute to myself.

I've added feeding the wild birds to my list of hobbies. So far I'm up to hummingbirds and come this spring when I can buy the iron hangers I'll be hanging some other feeders out. Part of my feeding the birds is just plain old bird watching but it is also photo ops.

I enjoy gardening. Mostly I like base gardens - the evergreens and perennials I have to do nothing with and then I enjoy specifically planting such plants as dahlias, few geraniums in pots, petunias - those little guys that do nothing other than add colour but don't take lots of care. Then there are the inside tropical plants.

I make it a point to take myself and my book out for a cuppa (just to get out of the house) and to ensure a walk and, if not a cuppa alone I'll ring a friend. Nice to pass an hour or so chatting and talking.

I tried going to the Seniors place once a week to play cards but that went by the way. I didn't relate to all the old people there :( I'm thinking I'll re-join for 2015 and hopefully I can get into some of the free classes that are offered - stained glass and pottery. Always wanted to try my hand at stained glass making. We also have an elder college here that often offers lecturers and speakers on various topics (this I've gone to once only but it is still something to peruse and consider).

Adding a furry friend to your life can be interesting too. I'm gearing up to adding an addition probably by 2016 once I'm settled into this place and can find doggie sitters for when I'm not here.

Have also taken up quilting which has spurred an interest in generally sewing along with the standard knitting and crocheting which I've always always done anyway.

I also teach English to Saudi students which says nothing about the ones I rent to. All in all once you think you're on your own you'll never have a dull moment and this says nothing about all the visitors coming and going too! :) ;) :) :) It is best to keep busy. I can think of nothing worse than just sitting all day with nothing to do. Time would get real heavy then.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I spend far too much time on my computer. Not really wasting time but keeping up to date on here and other forums. I manage everything to do with the home on it so there is usually something each day that needs updating or dealing with.
I have always been 'hands on' and enjoy anything about the house, inside or out. I have mentioned a bit of recent makeover and I had a long list of 'things to do'. My trouble is that I want to get on with it and get the list cleared. Mrs G is always saying why don't you spread things out a bit more. Problem is, with just the two of us, the house stays in good nick so not many maintenance jobs these days.
The kitchen mixer has just developed a leak. It is one of those pull out hose things. I have bought a new mixer but now have to find a slot between doing the frequent taxi jobs (since Mrs G had to give up driving) to fix it. I also have some water under some laminate in the kitchen so must do that at the same time.
I don't walk too well (and have just got a blue badge :lol: ) so even trips into town are now by bus instead of walking.
We do make trips out to local places of interest and occasionally further afield for a couple of nights. We have not been away on holiday this year but that is something we intend to change in 2015.
So even with a very relaxed existence the time still flys by and it is hard to believe that the new year is just over three weeks away....
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad you may be right with "hidden scribe" ;) I do enjoy writing when I have to, as for a novel or even a biography I wouldn't dare with my grammar being so bad :o ...........my mother used to be very good at writing & her hand writing was always pleasant to look at.......maybe a little comes from her :)

There is many members of my family seemed to have an artistic side to them....painting, drawing & sketching, perhaps I'll look into classes on that subject which I'm sure I would enjoy :)

PS: Grandad I'm a bit stuck of thinking on your above post...Kitchen Mixer..."it is one of those pull out hose things" I cant for the life of me think what kind of mixer you speak of :?:

LLL The stained glass making sounds though it would be something else I'd enjoy (probably the artistic side showing) but I'm not sure if there would such courses around here for that, will look into it though :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya, I probably confused you. I am talking about a 'mixer tap' with the nozzle that pulls out on a hose so that you can spray around the bowls to wash them down. The hose is leaking and this has dripped on to the laminate beneath the sink unit so a simple leak has become a more major job. :( :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was going to ask what a mixer tap is too. Didn't know but now I do.

As for the stained glass classes they're hard to get into cause there are quite a few seniors lined up to take them same with the pottery.

There is a Seniors group here that is gov't sponsored or sanctioned and once you get your "Gold Card" you're offered quite a bit for FREE. I've retired but am 5 or so years off from the Gold Card however since I'm over 55 I qualify for all the Seniors activities and since I turned 60 I'm on the first rung of the countdown to 65 and/or Federally NOW 67.

The gov't has a couple of buildings here for Seniors where they offer lots of different card game times, carpet bowling, library, various crafts woodworking, crochet, lace making etc. Sometimes there are speakers as well as special evening meals + dances.

The Universities, cause they're gov't run offer "Elder College" courses and classes too.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ah Grandad now I follow you, the mixer TAPS with hose, gotcha :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad those laminate floors can be a nightmare once any water gets under them, mine was, hence the re-tiling of the kitchen floor earlier this year with ceramics instead :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had a regular hard tap in my other house but in this house the MAIN tap pulls out. Not sure if I actually like it or not as the water flows directly down. It doesn't come out at an angle or anything - in other words I can't spray anything as the water comes straight down.

In the last place I had a Mixer tap. They're not called that here however I'm not sure what they are called here. Just the little tap beside the main tap.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well, I changed the kitchen tap; mixer; faucet; whatever ;) this morning with no problems. LLL. I am not sure what you mean about a 'little tap at the side'. If we have a small additional cold tap with a hose it is usually through a filter for drinking and using in the kettle if you live in a hard water area, like me.

Here is a picture of the monobloc single lever mixer, with hose, that I removed today and the monobloc double lever mixer that replaced it.

Don't want to labour this boring bit of DIY but I had mentioned some water getting under the laminate. As it is just towards the plinth and to replace a few boards is quite a major task (Horus will know what I mean) I have left that for the time being and will get a little bit of heat on it to try to dry it out. End of that bit. :(
Coming back to Kiyas main topic, I have an account with Ancestry.com and have today purchased a one month subscription for access to their complete data base with the intention of furthering my family history research over the coming month and maybe further.
This is not a bad way of spending some interesting hours during the winter re-tracing your family history. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad have to say you've done a grand job with your new mixer taps :up

My brother David did our family tree on my father's side, he got an awful lot of info from places in Edinburgh, he got as far back as 400 yrs ago, its really interesting seeing the names/dates etc, I have a copy which he printed out for me & it goes on & on & on.

I think he is still working on my mothers side, it all takes time :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I used to have an Ancestry.com account but it can work out expensive, you need to work it to death to get your monies worth. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

£13 for a months umlimited access to their database is not bad H. Most hobbies and pastimes have a cost. Ancestry and Findmypast can both be expensive if you use the credits method.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

When I used it the cost was per year at around £100 P/A
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd like to research out my past particularly on my mother's side as my great grandfather was apparently a sea captain. And family lore has it that on my father's side one of the relatives was a head warden for a King or Queen and had the ability to kill on sight anybody he caught poaching or hunting on the land. There are just the verbal folk lore pass it down spiels that came out at family gatherings. Names were never mentioned but - who knows - it could be true.

I've always been hesitant to hand over my credit card info to Ancestry.com as I sometimes wonder how easy it would be to cancel my subscription and anytime I ever looked in to it it seemed pretty darn expensive.

Be a terrific hobby though. I think it would be a sporadic type hobby as I could see me going at it great guns and then tapering off once I found out all I wanted to know.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: I think it would be a sporadic type hobby as I could see me going at it great guns and then tapering off once I found out all I wanted to know.
I agree LLL. That is why a months subscription will keep me amused for a while and I think the cost is relatively small given the extensive archive that is available. Interesting that you have seafarers in your background. I too have the odd cabin boy and Captain of Ship in mine. (Not to mention plenty in workhouses.) And no doubt Kiya has a few seafarers as well. But as an island nation that is bound to be so.

I also agree H that to fork out over £100 for something you might only use occasionally IS expensive. Unless that is you are doing research for others (for a fee of course :lol: )
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

At the time it was the only option, but the months subscription does sound a lot better if you know what you are looking for and stick at it during that period.