National Saudi Arabia Afternoon

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

National Saudi Arabia Afternoon

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a connection to Saudi Arabian students here and this past Saturday I was invited to celebrate National Saudi Arabia Day which was held at our local waterfront park. The students spent the day before erecting a tent city where each tent reflected some aspect of their culture - welcome tent with tea, dates, cookies (flown in the morning of the event directly from Saudi Arabia) were served, Islam as a religion (gave me my own copy of The Message of Islam in a very nice book), photos of Mecca & Medina, photos generally of Saudi Arabia, the Kings of Saudi Arabia with a special emphasis on King Abdullah and his scholarships program for young peoples, achievements of Saudi women, culture (family structure and marriage explained), Henna tent (have lovely floral designs on my hand now), recreation of a typical Saudi livingroom with carpets and pillows on the floor and traditional furnishings that are used. Other tents were handing out souvenirs - national flag, bracelets, balloons, banners, key chains etc.

Locally we have 322 students here attending our University with a requirement to attend daily 8am to 4:30pm in exchange for approximately $6,000/month our of which they pay their own food, rent etc. Their semesters have been specifically designed for ONLY Saudi students and run in 7 week cycles. Their first 2 years are spent in ESL and from there they move into both Bachelor and Masters programs. Many take MBAs.

On arrival security was really visible which isn't a common sight here on the island but the sun was out, weather terrific and the event was more an 'invite only' so publicity wasn't apt to attract any of our locals who may have had some difficulty seeing the Middle Eastern garb.

The day started off with speeches from many different dignitaries - our cultural attaches flown in from Ottawa, the Saudi Embassy, the University etc. From there there was poetry readings, traditional dances and prayers. All the students wore their traditional long thobes and shumars.

Was extremely interesting and all there were very welcoming and so willing to share their culture and experiences.

The students lined up as per tribal affiliation to perform traditional dances. The differences in clothing distinguished them as to southern or eastern Saudi Arabia

Two of the students at the Welcoming tent

Mistress of Ceremonies

Recreation of a typical Saudi living room

Common household objects - the mortal and pestle which is used to grind coffee beans was phenomenally heavy

And lastly the food was deee-licious! It was flown in directly via Fed Ex from Saudi Arabia that morning. Could have eaten all the dates myself :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: National Saudi Arabia Afternoon

Post by Grandad »

What a fascinating experience LLL. The other side of Islam, friendly, welcoming, and generous. So far removed from the barbaric side such as IS and Al Queda.
Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures.......and the blokes are good looking too.....aren't they? ;) :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree with Grandad, a really great experience and a nice cultural exchange, why can we not be like this all the time, showing tolerance of each other and wishing to share our different cultures. If only more ethnic groups would act in this way, instead of the typical isolationism that is usually encouraged by stupid religious dictates and intolerant ranting. Great pictures (I have a tailor made full Saudi dress like the ones worn in your pictures) ;) .
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Great set of pics LLL :) I was wondering if there is a difference in meaning to the colour of their head dress ??
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Lucky you . what a great day out and they fed you too ! ! :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Kiya - no the colour of the head dress means nothing. The Kings and people of importance will wear something over the white thobe to indicate their status. That being said - if you'll notice in photo #2 that fellow has an entirely different head dress and that signifies his tribe and that he is from south Saudi Arabia.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you LLL for that info.............I was just curious :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Lucky lucky you! Along with Grandad, I was struck with how handsome the men are! ;) sounds like a fascinating day. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I was struck with how handsome the men are! ;)
Now, now RS :o we will have none of that on here :lol: :lol: ;)