Phrases that rankle

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Phrases that rankle

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was passing channels on the weekend scrolling to get to Discovery channel and stopped momentarily on another channel only to hear the woman on there enthusiastically say "How fun is that?"

Geez that phrase really rankles me. It is almost always said by one woman to another and is becoming quite popular in the USA. Not to sure why I find it so objectionable but it seems somehow (to me) to be rather demeaning to women. I think in part the saying of this phrase is always in conjunction with something silly - i.e. you can be selling bright yellow and orange striped dishcloths and hear the Seller say "how fun is that!" It is usually related to something pretty mundane trying to be made to look like it is something fun.

Are there phrases you don't like?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Phrases that rankle

Post by Grandad »

I do tend to cringe at the Americanisms 'Have a nice day' or 'Break a leg'.

The parting comment 'laters' is probably a concoction of 'see you later' which in itself is a familiar form of Goodbye or Cheerio. Very similar to the familiar French expression 'À tout à l'heure'. But no doubt 'laters' will find its way into the English dictionary as so many other slang words or abbreviations have done.
:gg:
carrie

Post by carrie »

"Have a nice day" and here "welcome back" welcome back, from where not been anywhere.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Go for it --- GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Another phrase that I just heard that I don't like - "I'm stoked" (meaning I'm so happy). Geez I don't like that new phrase either.

(Maybe this is what getting old and crochety means!)
carrie

Post by carrie »

There's a programme on TV here called Australian Master Chef, I first heard that expression "I'm stoked" on there, another horror.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

"I'm stoked" seems to be the mantra of young people here and usually those undesireables wearing their pants half way down their backsides, t-shirts, never work(ed) ..... just don't like the phrase and don't like the ones using it either.
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

"You have to understand". Grrrr, no I don't ! It is always somebody with their own opinion and you are expected to agree with it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Phantom - YES! You just added another one. Same reaction as you - no I don't have to understand!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just heard another one - "Hear what I'm saying" which is usually repeated 2 or 3 times and I will admit does seem to be more a part of African American lingo but there is a statement made followed by this "hear what I'm saying?" at least 2 or 3 times then another statement with this phrase again repeated continuously.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

"Let me run that one past you again" in other words "I think you are too stupid to understand what I said the first time" :evil:
And what about "Time Out" to end an arguement, another Americanism used in a sport we don't even play :ni:
Also the latest buzzword for morons "Chillax" a combination of "Chill out" & "Relax" no doubt. :st
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Yes LL, a bit like I hear what you say, which actually means I hear you, but you're wrong :dv
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Phantom - exactly...... I'm going to repeat and repeat and repeat until I've drilled my point into you so many times you can't do anything except agree with me (even if I'm way out there inaccurate, wrong etc)

Another word, not phrase, that is now being commonly used is "Dude" and "Dude-ess" to refer to men and women. The call of "Hey Dude" is often heard. I'd personally never refer to somebody as "that Dude" or call somebody by yelling "Hey Dude" and definitely I'd never call a woman "Dude-ette" or "Dude-ess."
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Something that I have seen a few times in the last couple of days is the use of the terms 'less than' and 'fewer than'.
I don't know why but they rankle me and I cringe when they are used incorrectly. In my book 'less than' is a quantity and 'fewer than' is a numerical value. ie. The parcel weighs 'less than' a pound: Supermarket fast lane checkouts that say 'Less than 5 items' instead of 'Fewer than 5 items' :xx

And as for rankles, the good old apostrophe often causes a second glance. Like the greengrocers display of 'APPLE'S which is possessive instead of 'APPLES' which is plural.

A bit picky on both counts but more evidence of the decline in the use of our beautiful language. ;) Many students arriving for their first year at the local Uni require refresher courses to get them to the basic standard of English language and Mathematics BEFORE they can start their courses......I rest my case. :( :(

Sunday morning gripe, waiting for the Belgian F1 :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Back when I started University (early 70ies) there was the same concern about students being able to spell and use grammar correctly and taking both English and French literature and grammar were mandatory subjects all students had to take through to the end of their first year.