Are you a good stripper?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Are you a good stripper?

Post by Horus »

The weather has been really great just lately so you may well ask “what have you been up to then during this glorious weather?”
Err ……………….. actually, decorating!

It always used to be joint effort when Mrs H was alive and she was the best little helper any man could wish for, :ks always tidying up my mess afterwards or happily doing all those boring jobs that us blokes hate. She would clean paint brushes out, scrape of all the old wallpaper and do the boring paint jobs while I would crash on with the big stuff like the actual decorating or big paint areas and of course take all the credit for doing a great job when it was all finished. :oops:

I decided to bite the bullet and make a few changes, so I am moving my ‘Man Den’ with all it’s computer and camera stuff into a bigger (ex bedroom) that opens up into my conservatory via a large patio door and gives me clear views of my fully enclosed and private back garden. I will transform the ex ‘Man Den’ back into a single guest bedroom and while I am at it I will also decorate the adjacent main bedroom (mine) that also opens out into the conservatory via another wide patio door also with the same garden view. I will also redecorate the hallway that links these three rooms, so that means the removal of 5 interior doors for painting and possible modification at the bottom to accommodate the new fitted carpets I will be having laid, thankfully not by myself.

So it is a case of stripping down to the painted plaster all 4 rooms, then repairing any damage, sanding down and making good all walls skirting boards and dado rails. I do not like plain walls and so will be wallpapering throughout in the same choice using a half pattern, the top part with a design and the lower part a complimentary plain pattern. All interior doors will be the same colour scheme (probably Taupe) and all door frames, rails and skirting boards will be in another. At this juncture I think I will do the ceilings in the same shade of white as the door frames ‘Jasmin White’ both colours seem to go quite well with my initial choice of wallpapers although I may go and look at some more choices tomorrow. I will leave the choice of carpet until I have decorated and see what goes best with the finished rooms.

I really miss my best mate in more ways than one and especially when it comes to all the preparation work, so I have spent a really hot day inside with a steam wallpaper stripper on full power all day and boy was it hard work, I can only wonder how on earth she would manage to have a room stripped of paper by the time I arrived home from work so I could start my decorating, another one of life’s little mysteries. :ni: I would normally just score the paper and slap on lots of warm soapy water and then leave it to soak so it came off easier, but these modern papers are usually spongeable so harder to get off as the water does not penetrate the same. My daughter came to my rescue and said “Dad borrow this steamer of mine it will make the job easier” so I did and must confess that once you get your hand in it saves a lot of hard work, slightly slower in my opinion, but a lot easier. In any event I just have the radio on and keep steaming away, I have all the time in the world, but boy was it hot, like a Turkish bath at times.

I will have to do a bit of swapping about as emptying a room and putting stuff elsewhere is no easy task, so the first job is to get the room for my den and the larger bedroom decorated so I can get the carpet fitters in and only then can I move my PC stuff into that room which will be huge job in itself, I will also have to add quite a few more electrical socket outlets in the new PC room so that’s another job to do. So if I am not about as much in the next few weeks you will know why, although I will always pop in each day for a look and a chat. :)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Are you a good stripper?

Post by Kiya »

Wow! it does sound though your going to be really busy stripping etc for next few weeks :o

When I was fitter I did all my own decorating, stripping, painting, wallpapering & all the cleaning at the same time as I went along with each job.......easy peasy :)

Also I would clean all the tools when finished , paint brushes, trays etc etc, I know these things are cheap to buy & most folks throw them out after the job but, why? when it's just as easy to clean them..........when buying any paint brushes though I buy reasonable good ones that last for years.

One tip for you if you don't already know ? when using your paint brush & you know that you will be using the same brush & colour of paint the next day....don't clean the brush for over night just wrap it as it is in a plastic bag left over from doing your shopping, it will keep soft & ready to start painting again the next day or later.

BTW I did my stripping like you with warm soapy water & stripper tool & of course old sheets on the floor to catch any running water.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya with all your decorating expertise I could do with you as my new assistant. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow H sounds like you've really got yourself a project going. Bet it is going to look terrific once you're finished. Until I started doing all my own painting/papering etc I had NO idea there were so many shades of white. No such thing as plain white at all. Lots of different shades of white (I think my trim here is call Lacy white or some such name. Have to look and check in my big book!).

Here when I strip wall paper (and maybe Mrs H knew this trick/tip/tidbit which is why an entire room was finished so fast) - you add liquid fabric softener to the warm water you are using on the walls to remove wall paper. Not sure what is in the liquid fabric softener that works on wall paper to make it almost fall off but try it - add about a cup of it to a pail of warm to hot water (I usually start with as hot as I can stand it cause it'll cool off before I've used it all) and then work away as usual scoring and peeling. Am betting you'll find the addition of the fabric softener will work a treat ;) :) :) and the wall paper will come off even fast(er) than now.

I also do wrap up my brushes in plastic and also have a special comb that I run through the brushes once I'm finished using them. I actually have 2 types of brushes. I have a few pretty expensive ones that I use and clean then I have some other cheap (like $1 each) brushes that I use and toss. If I'm using stain that is definitely put on with the cheap brushes that are tossed.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh yes we would have the job done in no time :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Took another look at wallpaper today, but decided to stay with my first two choices. I did have a change of heart on the paints though, decide that I also like one for the doors called 'Fuzzy Scruff' strange name I know, but it reminds me of little Annie :lol: :lol: It is very similar to my original choice of Taupe, but a tad lighter and 'Soft Wool' for the ceilings, rails, skirts and door frames which is a slightly off white colour. My main reason for changing is that I can get both colours in the various finishes I want as they mix them on demand in the shop, so Vinyl Silk Satin Emulsion finish for all ceilings and Vinyl Satin paint for all doors and Satinwood finish for all other wood. :up

I finished stripping the walls of the new computer room today, but I want to add a few more double 13 amp sockets before I start on the patching and making good on the walls prior to painting, so that will keep me busy for the next few days. :urm: Forgot to mention that I also had to drain and remove a central heating radiator so that I can decorate behind it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fuzzy Scruff is a cute name actually! And - UGH - have to drain a radiator doesn't sound like much fun. Going to look super nice when finished.

Don't mind painting walls but ceilings are :td :td A pain in the neck and shoulders and back and hips :P
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Vinyl Silk Satin for the roofs ? I always thought it better with Vinyl Matt White..............or does the " Silk Satin " bounce light back into the room ?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Draining is not so bad, ;) plus I have fitted one of those 'Magna Clean' devices when I put the new Combi boiler in so the water is relatively clean. The biggest job is refitting it and testing for leaks and then having to bleed the central heating system as there will be air in it. :(

Edit for Kiya: For some reason I have never liked the Matt finishes on anything, I always think it looks dull and flat and a bit chalky, but Silk is a nice compromise I think. It is not shiney like gloss and has a soft sheen to it that does reflect a little light back, it also wipes down better and seems to stay cleaner for longer than Matt. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I agree with you the silk/satin I've on walls does wipe down much easier, the matt seems to wipe off the paint as you clean it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hope the updates are going well Horus! Hope the paper is coming off and going on easy and the paint covering well (without drips :P )
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I should start on the papering today, :up although it has taken ages with the prep work. The biggest problem was that there were not enough 13 amp sockets in the area I wanted them soooooo...
I just had to add a few more :lol: plus a phone outlet and another outlet for my satelite TV ;) This required that I chase out a lot of wall to accomodate all the new sockets and outlets plus the cable to complete a ring main. When all that was done I had to fit in all the back boxes and wire up all the sockets and outlets, test them all and then add a metal shield over the wiring before re-plastering the walls again and smoothing it all back again, so a lot of work before I even start on the decorating.

Latest colour update is that I am using 'Freshwater Pearls' vinyl silk as the colour for the ceiling, 'Freshwater Pearls' in Satin Wood finish for all woodwork and radiator and 'Morning Blossom' in vinyl silk for the door. :)

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Nobody can ever have enough electrical sockets! No matter how many I seem to have I need more and I wish the design recessed them a bit into the wall to that ONLY the cord part of the plug end would come out as that way lots more furniture could be pushed up against the wall.

Always had that idea as my invention for the future ;) The face plate would be flat with a slot and round circle for the wire part to come out while the hard plug part would be hidden.

Looks like you've really cut a job out for yourself H! Can't wait to see the finished photos! :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Gee! you have been busy Horus :) bet you'll be glad when it's all finished.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A lot of hard work and little to show when it is all plastered in. ;)

Good job mate and as LLL said, you can't have enough 'convenience outlets' :lol: Isn't that what you call them LLL or is that Australia??? :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A lot of hard work and little to show when it is all plastered in. ;)
That's very true Grandad, a couple of days work and you are only back to where you started, but with more sockets. :tk

The decorating is now well under way, didn't stop until 11.30 pm last night, :zz so by the end of today I am hoping that it will be finished apart from being carpeted, but I will leave that until I have another room finished then have it done in two fittings of two rooms at a time. :up

Not over impressed with the paint I had mixed :td the colours are OK, but the actual coverage is not so hot. I have always used 'Crown' or 'Dulux' and the coverage of their paints is really good and you rarely have to do it twice unless you make a big colour change. This paint is 'Valspar' another good make (or used to be) I only had the paints mixed a couple of days prior and the Emulsion for the ceilings had already seperated with all the pigment in the bottom of the can and clear liquid at the top so it took me ages to get it all blended smooth again. It went on OK and covered alright but had it been Crown or Dulux it would have been thicker and not settled out. The same with the Satin Wood for the Dado, skirting boards and door frames, It looked OK when it went on but the next day it was abvious another coat was needed, whereas the other brands would have covered in one coat on a similar colour.

I am rather narked with the other one for the doors as well, mainly because I cause myself more work by always removing the internal doors and painting them flat so as to get a good coating without any runs. I did this as usual, but about an hour ago as I had re-hung the door and was about to put the fittings back again I noticed a slight patchyness in the finish and on checking closely I was not happy, so it was give the door another coat to ensure an even coverage and I hate doing that when I have done all the paper hanging and painted door frames. So you can imagine I will not be using Valspar again as I will have to do everything twice to ensure a good finish, it is even more annoying because it was more xpensive than the other brands and now I can see the finished colours they are almost identical to colours I could have got off the shelf using Crown or Dulux, ah well we live and learn. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - the common word here for electrical outlets aka electrical sockets is "PLUGS" ;)

@ Horus - that is really poor if the paint separated that quickly. Typically when I've had paint blended and shook you can expect 2 weeks or more before it starts to separate. We have Dulux and Valspar here however I personally prefer Behr as I've always found it to cover really well and sometimes in 1 coat. Quite a few people here like CIL (the dtr did her house in that) and it covers well.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I agree with you H about Crown and Dulux being reliable and giving good coverage. Where possible I use their 'trade' range that I find is even better. Own brands like B & Q, and Wickes are not worth buying because, although a bit cheaper, you need more to give good coverage.

Here we go talking about our decorating techniques. :lol: When I changed all my doors I used removable pin butts, 3 per door, so that they could be easily lifted for decorating, furniture moving etc.

Valspar rang bells for me. Our first car was a 1946 Hillman drop head. I stripped it down and refurbed the engine. I finished the job by hand painting the car with Valspar auto paint, dark blue. Wish I still had that car. :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Valspar is mostly know here too as a varathane type lacquer that is used on furniture.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The final colours were OK even though it was more work :up The most wasteful was the match on the paper as it was about 2 feet on the top half, but it did go on very easily. It used the 'paste the wall' method and I must say that contrary to my initial thoughts about the method it is a lot easier to do and the paper is easier to trim. Here is the finished job although the lower part colour seems a bit off from what it really is, but that may be due to a slight texture in the paper that is distorting the reflected light, but it gives you some idea of how it looks. The next stage is to order up a suitable fitted carpet (I will do that today) and then get all my PC stuff moved into this room.