Anyone for Tennis?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Anyone for Tennis?

Post by Grandad »

Mrs G enjoys this time of year because three of her favourite outside events take place. First the Chelsea Flower Show with all the colourful displays and Show Gardens.
Then there is Ascot Week with all the fashions and the best of flat racing.
Finally to Wimbledon and two weeks of tennis in the best tournament in the world.

They are into round 4 and I can tell LLL that Eugenie Bouchard is through to the womens quarter finals for Canada by beating Alise Cornet from France in the fourth round.

Just wondered if any of you others here also watched these summer events, particularly the tennis?

(Perhaps I should add that the football world cup leaves me cold as does the game of football in general :( )

:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Anyone for Tennis?

Post by Kiya »

I did have a look in at the Flower show, football.........annoyed!!! missing most of soaps to that silly game.

Tennis yes ...been following Andy Murray of course.............he's doing really well so far :) :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I actually just got, about a week ago, sports channel on the TV. (We have to purchase bundles of channels here and I really only watch News and the National Geo and Discovery Channels but cause you have to have 6 bundles (drives me crazy this bundle stuff) I also had chosen a Lifestyle channel I never watched) Anyway my Saudi Grad student turns out to be a fanatic re: football. I walked into a local coffee shop and found him and his 3 Saudi friends glued to the TV there watching the Gold Cup/Fifa so in know this I switched the Lifestyle group of channels to sports. I don't mind and used to watch tennis and will now search out in the Sports bundle the Wimbeldon finals. Goooooooooo Canada!!! :) :) :)

I don't really watch sports but have sat, in the coffee shop here (called Serious Coffee) and watched snippets of the present Gold Cup games. These guys are very athletic and the game fast. I enjoyed watching what I saw and if I can will probably watch the very last and final game. Course I do the same with the Stanley Cup (hockey) too even though I usually don't have a clue who has played what during the season.

I was actually in Cairo during the African Cup a few years back. Was fascinated at all the men sitting outside in the streets in front of a single wired in TV. Every rickety chair they could find was lined up. The cheers heard in the street when Egypt scored was phenomenal.

Can't say I watch Ascot happenings at all - but maybe now with a Sports channel I might ;) Didn't watch the Preakness, Belmont Stakes or Kentucky Derby but there was a horse this year that came real close to winning all three. Not sure Ascot is the same ;) ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Chelsea Flower show :up as for the rest ........................ I would rather stick pins in my eyes :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:I would rather stick pins in my eyes :lol:
Don't like the gee-gees then H, or the girls in their pretty white outfits? ;)

Actually your quote above could lead me to starting a new thread but I will leave that until later.. :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Eugenie is still doing well LLL.....now into the semi final with increasing local support....Go Canada ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yup - she was on the News this morning and lots of comments that she is making Canadian history having gotten as far as she has. Haven't heard about her 'til now but am sure she'll now come to the fore front in Canada. GOOOOO CANADA!!! :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Still looking good for Canada in the semi's LLL. Eugenie Bouchard will play Simone Halep today for a place in Saturdays final, and she has a lot of support.

Milos Raunic will play Roger Federer tomorrow for a place in Sundays mens final.

Milos Raunic, that's a good old Canadian name.....not! :lol: Apparently he is a Montinegrin/Serb who moved to Canada when only three and is now a Canadian citizen. You have mentioned how Canada is multi national and Milos's story reminded me of how similar The UK and Canada probably are with respect to being multi national.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I wish I could get the broadcasts of the games here. I'd watch but all that is on any of the Sport channels I get is the Gold Cup or Hockey games - OLD hockey games! WHO watches OLD hockey games?? Course living here should I ask?

She is doing really well and is being reported on by the News and lots of talk about what a nice person she is, very self deprecating (Canadians LOVE to be flattered by being told we're self deprecating!) and a great tennis player. I WANT to see her play!

Haven't heard about Milos Raunic. No mention of him or if there is it is in passing and I didn't catch it. Back in Ontario in the Kitchener/Waterloo area (twin cities) there is a huge Mennonite, German, Croatian/Serbian/Montenegro/Dalmatia population. Possibly he is from that area. Way back when in the day of the dinosaur I want to 1st yr university there and one of the courses I took was Serbo-Croation - Koko sta vi? How are yoU? ;) ;) ;) Dobro! (Good!)

We are very multi national

Am hoping Eugenie will advance. Be a great coup for Canada if she wins :up :up :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Apparently he grew up in Thornhill, Ontario LLL, so your guess would fit.

'Genie' goes marching on and will meet the 2011 champion, Petra Kvitova in the final on Saturday. That will be a big test for her but I think she could win it. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We didn't win :( BUT we did good. The $$ the losers get is nothing to sneeze at either. Now to see who the ultimate winners will be! :) :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kvitova, ladies singles winner for the second time. Djokovic, mens singles winner also for the second time. Each wins £1,760,000.......nice pay day. :lol:

Losing finalists Bouchard and Federer each receive £880,000. Pretty good for the losers. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think I'm going to take us tennis. I could aspire to being a loser for that much $$$