Is it time to do away with Bank Holidays?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Is it time to do away with Bank Holidays?

Post by Grandad »

Like it or lump it, we live in a 24/7 society and is it not time to dispense with the relic from the past of 'Bank Holidays'

As far as I know they were introduced at a time when annual holiday 'entitlement' had not yet been invented ;) and there purpose was to give the working class a few days each year on which to enjoy some activity with the family. There would be fetes and sports days or even a trip to the seaside.

But today most people in full time employment get generous paid holiday leave which if used wisely can provide adequate holiday breaks through the year. The country no longer 'shuts down' on these bank holidays, indeed anyone in retail normally has to work.

So, in my opinion they are a thing of the past and should be dispensed with, the only exception being Christmas day and Boxing day, long standing traditional holidays.

What do you folks think?

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Is it time to do away with Bank Holidays?

Post by Horus »

I say scrap em all and bring back the 70 hours week :up saying as it does not affect me anymore :lol:
Love the bye line Grandad :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@As Old As Anthracite - hadn't thought about this but do rather agree that we're well past bank holidays. I do know here that banks are shrinking in that almost all banks are online and encourage you STRONLY to use cyber banking vs walking into the bank to do your banking. Given I'm in Lignite stage I can do all banking for free so some I do online and some I walk in to the bank to do but given the cyber aspect to our banks here they're essentially 24/7.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

They have about one a month here and its very irritating if you need to buy something quickly, like a new tap and the shops are shut - - - speaking as some who whacked a lump of wood into the outside pipe - - till tomorrow - :roll:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Most of our stores open on bank holidays now. Course I did like the gov't following the banker's holidays when I was werkin'. Might get the odd 'mom and pop' operation that will close but all the big box stores are open all the time.