More money!

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

More money!

Post by Horus »

We were talking on another thread about spending money and I mentioned that I was doing a lot of that lately and although I had the cash for my new camera put aside I seemed to be shelling out for lots of other things at the same time. Today my neighbour called around to ask if I knew that a fence panel was broken, this was no real surprise as when I was treating them last year I could see they were getting past their best. They have not been in for a great length of time, but to be honest when I bought them I could see that the quality was not as good as the ones I was replacing and I suppose you get what you pay for. Last year as I was giving them a quick once over (I always remove each panel and treat both sides) I noticed that the wood looked pretty bad and although I repaired them I wished I had not started the painting job and put in new panels instead, but it was only noticeable about half way through the job so I had little choice other than continue and they looked OK after a quick repair here and there.

As most people know so far we have had an awful year weather wise in the UK and last year was a complete wash out and even though the temperature has risen this last week we have had extremely strong Southerly winds across the country, hence my damaged fence panel. They had been rattling now for weeks with the incessant high winds and there was no way I was going out in that freezing cold weather to try and stop them. They are easily slide into the upright concrete posts and are a good fit, but shrinkage always makes them rattle in a high wind regardless of how tightly you wedge them in to start with. After he had left I went to inspect the damage and the whole of the bottom section was falling apart so allowing the panel to bow in the middle, further inspection showed another panel further down that had actually snapped on the lower timber allowing that one to bow outward. So I decided to bite the bullet and replace all the panels ASAP, something I would have done next year at the latest, so no big deal, but I would have preferred it to have been at a time of my choosing rather than having to do it come rain or shine sometime next week. :(

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: More money!

Post by Grandad »

Don't go dibbing into that camera money Horus to pay for new fence panels.....haven't you got something to sell? :lol:
I know I have made a bit of a thing on another thread about getting the cash for my new camera (and some to spare :lol: ) by selling some unwanted items on ebay. I hope I didn't give the impression that that was the only way I would get it, not so, but it was a bit of fun and in the end it has not cost me anything directly. :up
Coming back to your topic; a couple of months ago the starter on my car didn't always engage first time. The starter motor turned but the small gear did not engage with the fly wheel gear. My first thought was that perhaps the battery, 5 years old, might be low on voltage and not giving the starter the necessary 'kick'. A new battery did not fix the problem.
This, intermittent, problem suggested to me that it could be something as simple as lacking a little lubrication of the solenoid lever which engages the small gear. Taking off the starter, stripping it, cleaning it and re-assembling is something I would have done without a second thought in the past.

I am not too good at crawling under cars now so asked my son who works in the motor trade to have a chat with the fitters and see if there is a simple solution. " You need a new starter mate" was their response. But, I asked my son, don't they take them apart as I said I would have done. He said that he doubts if any of the fully qualified Peugeot mechanics have ever taken anything apart. All they do is exchange old for new (or more likely recon).

So rather than risk it dying on me completely I shall have to bite the bullet and have a new (recon) starter fitted. He hasn't yet told me what it will cost but I am guessing around £400.

Now, how can I get that done for nothing???

Anyone want to buy a second hand wife, skilled in all aspects of home management, just needs a little holiday every now and again. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On the topic of more money, more money, neverendingcosts and fence panels - I present my yard

Before:

Starting:

During:

During:

And what I just acquired out front for a considerable (as in the cost of a camera) chunk of change and still not close to finished (landscaping that is). Haven't even started to consider the front which IS actually driving me crazy cause I just hate the way the front of the house is presenting right now but I do know that SOON all landscaping will be finishing (I hope and am keeping my fingers crossed)

Just delivered at 5pm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@ Grandad - does your wife do landscaping by chance? :P :P
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

WOW! That is some project LLL and looking very expensive......but if you will choose to live on a mountain side. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is beginning to look really good though and when you get it planted up it will be spectacular....next year....or 2015 :lol:

PS: Re. My ebay Ad; No, not good at landscaping......but very good at retail therapy ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Camera money still tucked away and I suppose it was another expense that I knew was around the corner. :urm:
Looking better every day LLL, just imagine all the fun you will have in getting it right over the next 10 years or so. :lol: :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

WOW, LLL , that yard is really scary, reminds me of a spanish house I stayed in, woke up one morning and 3/4 of the garden had slid down the hillside --- I was packed and gone in an hour - - I am definitely a "FLAT" person.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We actually get earthquakes here and carrying earthquake insurance is mandatory. The deductible up to this year was 5% of the value of your house. This year it has gone up to 7%.

My yard is quite normal for here cause we're all half mountain goats clinging to the side of extinct volcanoes. It is common here to hear dynamite blasting and it really means somebody else is preparing a building lot and/or landscaping. There are some interesting yards done in nothing but rock.

My front yard isn't done at all but when it is finished it'll be full of smooth round river rock and concrete. I'm going for as low maintenance as I can get so I can travel without worrying about plants yet be comfortable and enjoy a backyard.

Here what grows well garden-wise are Pieris, heather (grows like crazy), blueberry plants (going to have an entire row of these), rhodos, camellias.......lots of other flowering bushes to choose from too. Need to read up on what is going to attract birds.

Soooooo - hope your fence panels are not hanging up in the air H! What you're facing could be worse :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Panels ordered up and will be deleivered about the middle of next week, :up they would have been sooner but I needed some panels to have curved tops so these have to be made seperately. Although they will have been presure treated I also want to give then a coat of Red Cedar coloured preservative back and front for looks and added protection, so thats another job as I will use a brush rather than spray the panels. I usually choose a nice day and set up a tressle with an old tarpaulin beneath it and paint them flat sides up on this, I can paint and fit about four panels a day doing it like that. The only problem I have at the moment is a little man called Max who is on his latest stop over and he never leaves my side and he will be with us until about the end of the month. He is completely white and I dont think his Mum and Dad will appreciate getting him back with reddish spots all over him. :lol:

LLL, a lot of the shrubs and bushes you describe grow here in the UK and apart from the Heather most are a shade loving variety or grow on poorer soils such as the Heathers and Blueberry. The one I would avoid is the Rhododendron as these can grow very large, but they also poison the soil beneath themselves and stop other plants from growing, also I have never seen a bird nest in one and I doubt if many birds will actually search for food around them.The Heathers and blueberries will grow great below all those large stones you have at the top and help to bind the soil together, also less maintenance for you higher up the slope. Plants such as camellias and Azealias kept small and planted quite well apart should also do very well there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well H - once you're finished there I have about a weeks worth of work for you! ;) ;) I think I will get my fence panels sprayed. Not sure about the actual painting in that "I" would have to paint them as paying a painter to do that would be too costly here. Getting them sprayed would be much easier and cheaper.

Didn't realize rhodos killed the earth underneath. I'd actually thought not to plant them though as their roots are fairly shallow. I'm wanting plants to send down deep roots to hold the slope.

I'm putting in a few blueberries mostly cause I love blueberries, the twins love BeeBees and as bushes go they look ok. The rest of the slopes will be planted with whatever I can find here that gives different colour at different times, is hardly and tolerant of not very good soil (although the guys did haul in garden soils composted with chicken manure that was put behind the landscape ties. Heather will grow like crazy and it will get dotted about the backyard.

Most of the planting I'll do in the fall so that it will get well watered in and established over the winter. August/September here can be super hot and dry months.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: It would take me more than a week just to think about that job of yours :o Heathers are good for holding soil toagether, but remember that chicken manure will contain lots of Nitrogen so choose plants that will use it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Earlier in this thread LLL said "On the topic of more money, more money, never ending costs and fence panels - I present my yard"

I am always amused by the North American/Canadian term 'back yard' and what they mean by it. That is definitely NOT a back yard LLL, or at least not in UK terms......it is a very substantial 'back garden'.

When I was a kid in the war years (here he goes again :lol: ) we had a proper back yard. A small concreted area outside the back kitchen door. There was a galvanised tin bath hanging on the wall outside the door for bath night, that was after mother had done the washing on Mondays. Across from the door was a mangle for mother to wring the washing before hanging out to dry. To the left of the mangle affixed to the wall was a meat safe. A perforated tin cupboard into which perishable food would be placed, no fridge in those days. And round the corner from the kichen was the 'outside lav'.

All this was in 'the back yard' that's a real back yard LLL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: Thank goodness things have moved on a trice. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Interesting comparsion. I think whatever is behind the house or even in front of the house for that matter is either a backyard or a front yard. The term backyard here is pretty much without exception in that there really are not any other words for the lawn or back area behind the house here. IF the area behind or in front of the house is entirely concreted it might be referred to as the patio.

I vividly recall us having a mangle - both my mother and Grannie. Geeeeez those were big dangerous things. My mother's was significantly more advanced in that if you got caught in it there was a safety on the side that I'm sure if you hit with a sledge hammer would release slightly. My Grannies was SOLID - probably would still be going. Not sure whatever happened to it. She also had the most wonderful copper lined washing machine - wish I had it now.

We didn't have outside refrigeration rooms - would have been broken into by bears and/or frozen solid in the winter. We had root cellars that were hand dug, sometimes filled with straw and the veggies poked in there for the winter. And because I'm substantially younger ;) we actually had an ice box (at least my Grannie did - we just got daily delivery and never had an ice box 'til we went straight to an electric fridge). To my recollection my Grannie never got regular delivery of ice but she did get daily delivery of milk, eggs etc. Actually she got daily delivery of most everything and there was an entire host of men coming round who sold various things for the household.

I loved the delivery men cause it was always my job to go out and watch the horse for the time he was talking with Grannie and Papa - NOT that those work horses were apt to suddenly take to bolting down the street. Ten steps walk and stop, ten steps walk and stop, ten steps walk and stop.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The good old days eh, LLL. :lol: And those delivery horses knew the round and knew where the next stop was. We had one that came round with paraffin and general housewares. And that horse would walk on unguided to the next stopping point in the road.......

Ah, nostalgia ;) But I have so many tales from that time that I sometimes think I will write in a book but never get round to it..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I remember all those things Grandad and much more, we used to think it was all normal and grew up with it, nowadays they would probably describe it as squalor, my how things change. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I think back there were lots of men who worked very hard at menial jobs that kept them and their families fed. Sure they were only coming around to houses selling everything from teabags, milk, bread, coal etc. What I'm getting at is that these men were working to the fullest of their capacity - BUT - nowadays all of these menial type jobs are gone however I'm fairly certain that there is a whole social strata of people who can only function up to a certain level. What are these people doing today? Are they all living off the social welfare system? Is there anything wrong with having mega low end type jobs?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I reckon that's the way it has always been and the way it will always be, lots of levels of skill and ability are needed and indeed desirable in society. Some of the cleverest people I know are absolutely useless when it comes to practical tasks and I often comment to Mrs H that if Armageddon ever came they would be the first to go because their ability to survive unaided would be zero. Although education is a good thing, I sometimes feel that we are trying too hard to make everyones ability the same, even to the point of dumbing down. Some people are happy to have practical skills while others are more academic and one type cannot survive without the other. So we need people who don't mind doing the menial tasks and they are usually within their own comfort zone in doing so. What we must ensure though is that the rewards are enough for any particular job, all too often we reward intellect over ability and that is not a good thing, you cannot say that a professor of History is valued more than a Nurse, Plumber, or a coal miner. We as a society often make these distinctions and reward a judge for example because as a judge he has the status, but in reallity anyone with a modicum of common sense can make a sound judgement based upon the presented facts, but can anyone install a gas boiler? to me it is these oddities in the fiscal rewards for any given job that sometimes don't make a lot of sense.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Know exactly what you mean - gf's dtr is a Molecular Biologist and has reached world acclaim and work in Sweden, UK, France, USA, Canada - BUT - OMG don't let her near anything in the house. Complete disaster with NO brains at all.

Canada is in a dearth of skilled tradesmen and they are now promoting all the trades hoping to get as many young people trained in practical skills as possible.

I do agree we tend to idolize some Professions and in some cases this is warranted and in others not.