1 metre wide monitor

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

1 metre wide monitor

Post by Horus »

Not the Nile monitor, but my new PC screen.
I decided to treat myself today to a new monitor, so I went out and bought a new 24" wide screen LED monitor. As my other was still OK I decided to twin it up with the new one, so after a few temperary height adjustments with some books (the real stand will be made by the weekend) they line up a treat, so now my screen width is one metre :P I have set them both up to be a single monitor, so now its great to just pick something up from one screen and slide it across in real time onto the other, it frees up so much more space. I often use programs such as AutoCAD and Photoshop and its great to just move all the toolbars across to the other one, or park up a few pictures without stuff being hidden or behind other windows. It has a couple of other nice features like VGA, DVD-D & 2 HDMI inputs plus built in speakers, so thats a bit more clutter out of the way and 4 USB sockets, so a big improvement all round. :up

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: 1 metre wide monitor

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Just when you thought that things couldn't get any smaller (including the small print!) Horus goes gigantic! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: I blame it on my crap eyesight :oops: well thats my excuse anyway. ;) I am still trying to get out of the habit of sitting too close though!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

OMG H - talk about being at Command Central! :o :lol: You'll be causing your neighbourhood a brownout everytime you log on!!! :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I couldn't begin to understand how to 'pair' two monitors as you have done Horus but I can certainly understand the benefits, but then we always know who to ask if we have a 'techie' problem so well done mate :)

I have just gone in the other direction, monitor wise. I have been considering a tablet but could not justify 4 or 5 hundred pounds for an ipad.....poor old pensioners you know :lol: What I have just bought is an 8" Archos 80 G9 Turbo, £201 from Amazon.

This is a brilliant piece of kit with all the 'bells and whistles' and more, of an ipad at half the price. 1.5Ghz processor, 1Gb ram, 16Gb flash memory, wifi, bluetooth, 3G ready, Android ICS 4.0.7, sat nav, street map with Google street level, and so so much more. And just one finger to operate it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh you men & your toys ;) for the life of me I couldn't fathom out how you do that Horus, on saying that I would love a massive screen :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That sounds good Grandad and very easy to carry around with you, let us know how you go on with it.
As for myself I tend to be 'land based' I much prefere to be surrounded by all my gadgets in my inner sanctum. :lol:
The linking of the two monitors is no big deal Grandad, it is a normal Windows feature if you know where to look, but as you say I will always help any of you guys if I can. :up

:lol: :lol: @ Kiya, what could you possibly mean. :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have just found another bonus :D while poking about under my desk (which is a mine field of cables and other devices, I realised that a piece of hardware under there that I initially purchased so that I could import all sorts of Video data from movie cameras, DVD players, VCR players & TV screens has also got a PC TV mode to it. :up I probably knew that at the time , but forgot about it until now, so switched it on and I am now watching my SKY TV in a reduced window on my left hand monitor, so that saves me from having to turn sideways to look at the small TV I have in my den. To be honest I tend just to listen to the program if I am working on my PC and glance at the picture now and again, so this may prove a better option, kept the small TV though just in case. :D
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

The nearest I've had to this in my house, Horus, is when DH rigged up two towers to one monitor! I'm absolutely NOT going to tell him what you've done - just in case he decides to have a 'fiddle' too! :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

My first Dell monitor was capable of showing computer or t.v or both. Sadly, when it needed replacing Dell didn't do them any more and my boss replaced it with a normal monitor. I can still watch TV or use it for computer use, just not at the same time. Now I have my laptop I find I've often got the main computer on for TV purposes and am happily browsing the net or 'chatting' to my overeas friends on messenger at the same time.

I've just had my phone upgraded to one of those touch screen gizmo's and now I am back in te world of the completely bewildered! Goodness only knows what I've touched as I've got whirly thing going round that makes me think it's trying to connect to something, and I have yet to work out how to stop it. I just hope I'm not going to be charged for something!
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @ hepzi, the "wirly somethings" are usually telling you they are trying to connect to something.
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote::lol: :lol: @ hepzi, the "wirly somethings" are usually telling you they are trying to connect to something.
Yup! That's what I thought. My problem is I have no idea what mine is trying to connect to but it's been trying for days now! I meant to go into the shop on Friday and ask the nice young man to explain to me slowly and in words of not more than one syllable
how to stop it happening, and how not to let it happen again, but I forgot. :roll: :(
-Aldous Huxley
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm not sophisticated enough (or smart enough) to use the "Picture in a Picture" feature on the TV. I have a hard time following ONE screen at a time let alone two! :? I'm also NEVER going to look 'under the desk' at all those cables and wires - don't have a clue. TWO screens! :o AND video talking on the phone! Wowwwwwwwwww (all to techie for moi)
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Horus wrote::lol: :lol: @ hepzi, the "wirly somethings" are usually telling you they are trying to connect to something.
Yup! That's what I thought. My problem is I have no idea what mine is trying to connect to but it's been trying for days now! I meant to go into the shop on Friday and ask the nice young man to explain to me slowly and in words of not more than one syllable
how to stop it happening, and how not to let it happen again, but I forgot. :roll: :(
Belated update. Managed to go to a shop in another town (good ploy because I can still go in to my local shop and ask more questions with the next problem I encounter and hopefully won't look quite as big a fool as I am!) and asked the young man for help. He had no idea what the whirly thing was or how to stop it - other than concuring that it looked like was trying to connect to 'something'. He then passed me over to an even younger man to help me who again agreed it was trying to connect to something but he didn't know what. He was at least able to stop it but then not able to explain to me what he'd done because he wasn't actually sure! When I mentioned the lack of instructions in the box they told me it was all on line - so far all I'd found was flashy adverts that told me nothing. Prior to getting to a shop, I'd had to ring them up earlier in the week to ask how I could actually answer calls because people were ringing me but when I pressed the green answer button nothing happened. (Pressed - I'd bloomin well nearly pressed and stabbed to the other side of the phone.) Turns out you don't 'press' the answer button like you do the 'end call' button. Oh no! You 'slide' the answer button towards the end call one! So much for a simple means of communication!

Sorry, I digress from Horus's 1m Screen...so will add ...in favour of my phone it has a lovely screen. I've no idea what to do with it but it is lovely. :roll:
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

If you let me know the make and model I will try to find you an online manual for it. :up
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Wow, sounds amazing Horus but way beyond me. Just got an I pad, which is amazing for me - it never leaves my side :). Just struggle with this site a bit as it comes up in mobile form, although L4U is OK.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Mmm. not quite sure what that problem is caused by Phantom :ni: if you get the L4U site OK then you should get this one the same as they are really no different, perhaps Keefy can suggest some settings change you need to make. :up
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote:If you let me know the make and model I will try to find you an online manual for it. :up
Many thanks Horus. Sorry for the delay in responding. I got locked out of E4u again! Keefy's had to get me a new key cut. :roll:

I'm gradually getting around the gizmo's and stuff on the phone and it seems there is a Geek Squad waiting for my every question and problem!
-Aldous Huxley