Returning to power?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Returning to power?

Post by Horus »

Now call me cynical, but it would now seem by many reports on other forums that the police presence has started to reappear on the streets once again. If this is correct as these people would have us believe, does it signal the return to normality or is it a sign that the powers that be have decided to start taking control once more? If the news reports are anything to go by, we are now witnessing the army becoming more brutal towards the protesters in Tahrir Square. Could it be that they have seen the light and now realise the political direction the country is taking and they do not like what they see? After all, I suspect that with the writing on the wall politically, the shortages and downturn in tourism that many depend upon, coupled with a feeling that nothing has really changed or even become worse, that there may be many who would wish to return to the old status quo.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sometimes the 'devil you know'.............

It is not a good situation all 'round in Egypt and something has to give. I think 'desperation' drove the Protestors to Tahrir Square and while I think their ideals were great I'm not sure the Protestors were sufficiently organized to "stay the course" for the long haul. Change is a tricky thing and when power is also involved combined with a long established order how things ultimately play out is going to be anybodies guess. Was it so bad under Mubarak? Probably and probably untenable for many Egyptians but 'way back then' they knew the "rules" and knew what to expect. Might not have been fair, equitable but they knew cause and effect in their world.

Now methinks each day is rife with unpredictability and not only this the actual quality of life they hoped to make better is, in reality, losing ground with all the economic downturns.

Am fairly sure the old regime was darn supportive of the military and again methinks the military might be getting a tad nervous too as they see themselves entering a "Brave New World."

I truly wish Egypt well but only time will tell how Egypt will be in future.
Morgita

Post by Morgita »

My worry, Horus, is that the Army are getting jittery at the direction the elections are taking. After all, the USA bankrolls the Army but may reconsider if, or rather when, an MB/Nour government is returned. There is still a long way to go in Egypt and no certainty that a violent crackdown won't happen. Recent reports from Tahrir Square seem to signal a loss of patience with demonstrators. Be safe, everyone. You can't fight opression if you are dead.
Silvermagpie

Post by Silvermagpie »

I don't know if the old power is returning or not... I sometimes wonder whether they had left in the first place. Yes Mubarak is gone, but instead Tantawi?
I don't honestly know where Egypt is going after the election. But at this moment, I hear quite a few remarks like "Mubarak was bad but at least I felt safe under his rule" or "I didn't think it could get worth!" from Egyptians. Yes, of course, I also hear the "praise the people power" type comments as well but...

The military brutality in the past few days may be a case of plucking the buds before the revolution anniversary.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I tend to agree......with all said above. The next American election is Nov 2012. Depending on 'who' gets in there could be some pretty big radical changes in who they fund and how much etc. etc. Could have big implications for the Egyptian Army - am sure they're aware of their position and might be better to get yourself 'positioned' sooner rather than later.

Saw the 'news' about the soliders stripping off the female protestor. THAT is pretty radical for there but it is all a 'sign of the times.'

Am not saying that Mubarak was a Saint but again - the "devil you know"......