I'm not sure but fun to watch

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

I'm not sure but fun to watch

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

One of the days I was in Mexico I went to Isla Mujieres which means (Island of Women). Small tourist village and this dolphin training enclosure. I have to admit I'm really of a mixed mind about keeping animals like dolphins captive. IF I knew a dolphin was hurt and couldn't make it on his own then it doesn't bother me in the least that 'we' as people interfere and give him a place to live and offer training whatever. On the other hand I'm not as comfortable with the idea of capturing dolphins in the wild and then taming them down.

This particular Dolphin park was quite large and a big area of the Caribbean sea was fenced off keeping these guys in natural waters. They had a huge - honestly really huge area to swim openly in and then smaller enclosures where they were housed and trained. I counted at least a dozen dolphins, 2 manatees and some seals and walrus. This area also housed a sea turtle rescue but it suddenly started to rain so hard I could get there and then didn't have enough time after the rain stopped as I had to catch the boat back.

The dolphins all seemed very responsive to their trainers.

This one was practicing getting tickled

And this dolphin seemed quite adept at doing a spinning dance with one of the trainers.

There were many trainers training the dolphins and doing different tricks in different pens however once the session was over the dolphin would get to go out into the huge lake area and just swim around. Most of them ended up jumping with happiness and I was able to catch this one

I didn't see anybody doing anything with the manatees. There were two in a pen. I'm not sure that manatees do do much except eat. Their bone structure seems such that they don't really jump or dance or ?? I did note quite a few hatch marks on the dolphins backs.