Mobility Scooter

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Mobility Scooter

Post by Mad Dilys »

I may have mentioned that I went for a jaunt into the City at the weekend with my daughter or possibly I mentioned it to other daughter. ;) It was the first time I had been out on the new scooter and wonderful to get out in the fresh air though very nippy, freezing actually.

I found it handled very well as we went through the park and Castle grounds on the Long Way into the centre. Quite brisk, and more lively than the pavement scooters I've tried before. I took it into the Mexican restaurant without any problems even going up in the lift to the toilets. :up

I've bought a very heavy ramp but only 5cms high to get from pavement to front garden. I can't move it, so Daughter put it down for me and it's perfect. She said leave it and I'll buy you a new one if anyone pinches it. It is quite big and gently graded so not possible for anyone to trip on it.

I can get in and out without a problem - but how do I deal with the rain we usually have? I have a complete cover which goes over me and the scooter, but because of the problem with my hands I think I would have to ask for help should I be caught in the rain.

We get a lot of very light rain that I wouldn't cover my head for or use an umbrella. Is it safe I wonder to use the scooter without protection in those conditions?

Any advice gratefully received.

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Mobility Scooter

Post by Grandad »

Good to hear that the scooter is proving a good buy MD. :up
As for using it in light rain, I take the view that in the design they must have taken that into account and ensured that anything with electrical connection is well insulated from the weather with rubber grommets etc.
I don't worry about a bit of light rain and sometimes get a bit wet but that does not bother me. I don't have a waterproof cover so avoid going out if heavier rain is likely.
What I DO make a point of if there has been some rain, is to wipe dry around any dials or controls when I get home. Kitchen roll seems best for soaking up any wetness. I think that should be adequate.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Phew! Thanks Grandad :up

I had begun to think I had made a mistake. It's just 100% humidity and what us farmers would say "It's dampening down". So will try going to the Doctors tomorrow rain or shine. ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Lots of people with scooters here have a frame affair that attaches somehow to the scooter but give them complete protection from the rain. It also has the effect of making the scooter look more solid and visible.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Here we have an excellent pedestrian area and big shopping centre, but getting access to transport home requires more walking than I'm now comfortable with, so I'm very excited at the idea of window shopping and browsing. :jig:

I went to the Doctors yesterday - first time out by myself. In view of the condition of local pavements I knew this might be difficult in places. I do worry if I get tilted sideways, I guess it's because I got chucked out the side door when riding horses so often. :tk It makes sense in a way to be apprehensive.

Initially I was pleasantly surprised. The roots of old trees planted far too close to the houses in the narrow pavements made walking difficult the last time I went that way - but more bitumen had been applied and I didn't feel a bump. A bit further on and a dramatic improvement at a badly angled cross roads where pedestrians had no clear view of approaching traffic has been completely redesigned. Pedestrians now given precedence, clear wide access and new crossing over the most used road. :up

I used the new crossing and started down the road. On the way there were 4 small side roads to cross - each had very steep access into a bumpy gutter and road surface. I had to make 2 attempts to get out of one of them. Not possible to avoid the pool of water - the pavement too narrow to turn and I'd have to reverse back along the steep camber. Several times I put my leg out as the scooter tipped right over, quite scary really. I'd need a very good reason to ever use that way again. :td

I found a different route home. Very smooth but with an even steeper camber. I kept very close to the top and moved fairly slowly. Next trip is to the City by "normal" pavement alongside the main road. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
You are on a new learning curve now MD. I went through the same process with each scooter and now know just about every pothole and uneven pavement. I think the secret is to look at the surface several yards ahead and when you do spot an uneven surface just slow down while you negotiate it.
I do now spend quite a lot of time on the road which tends to be free of hazards for a scooter. I have lights, indicators and mirrors so I am street legal.
Sounds like you are doing well MD, keep it up and enjoy your new scooter :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD, as my 4 wheeler was pre-owned you have no idea how good the batteries are (unless new). The dealer told me they tested 90% but I need to be confident that I will get home so I have been extending my trips little by little.
Return trip to my docs is about 4.5 miles. This morning I did the hospital which my phone app told me it was 6.2 miles. On both trips I had not lost any lights on the battery condition indicator so I now know that I can go anywhere around town with the confident knowledge that I shall get home.
I went for a blood test and if I go by bus I have about a quarter mile walk INSIDE the hospital. Oh what joy to be able to go all the way inside the hospital on the scooter :lol:
From what I have learnt so far I think that 10 miles would be well within its capability and I am not likely to do that in a single trip.
Does your scooter have some sort of battery life indicator?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My battery indicator has reading from the right - fully charged - Green, green again, yellow and red - empty.

I went out again yesterday on a new road. Broad pavements in part big bumpy stone flags and part smooth brick. Of course the smooth brick way was blocked by huge trees at frequent intervals and riding the paving stones was like using a hammer drill. It took me about 45 minutes to get the smooth pavement and about a further 15 minutes to get to the shopping centre.

It was lovely to go into Boots the Chemist and really browse, and go in the big Post Office to send 4 Un-Christmas presents to the family. Then after we almost bumped into each other I chatted to a lovely Lady walking badly with sticks who said she envied my scooter. When I told her about the range and prices of scooters where I bought mine she was amazed. She thought they cost thousands and would get her son to take her to choose one. It would change her life, and she could afford it. Thank you Ruby. :up

By 4.00pm I thought it was time to make for home, but got to the Castle just as it closed. That would have given me an access to a short cut across the park. Never mind, longer but smooth, yup much longer because the river bridge I needed was too steep for my chair as well. No problems though it was getting dark there were lots of people about and such lovely surroundings. Then my first battery light went out.

I kept my speed down, a little less than the folk walking in front of me. I was on a winding path around football and rugby pitches separated by woodland alongside the river until I got to an accessible bridge over a weir. A family dog was having a wonderful time in the water fetching sticks. I must go back with a proper camera it's a lovely place.

Lots of choices for routes and nothing familiar until I reckoned I must be within striking distance of the main road. I asked directions from a young couple, who showed me a very narrow footpath between the houses right by us. Ignore the side roads he said, just keep going till you get to the main road. In five minutes I was there, right at the end of my road. In 15 minutes I was home and no more lights had gone out on the scooter. It took me and hour and a half to get home in total, but so much more comfortable than the main road. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD, it does sound as if your battery pack has a really good range for a small scooter :up
I made another appointment for the hospital next Friday. If it is fine I shall do that trip again confident that I will get home with plenty of power to spare.
Like you, I often see elderly people struggling with one or even two sticks. They really would benefit with a small pavement scooter and you can buy a used one for as little as £250. I know that to some on very limited income even that is a lot but I often wonder if they have a family, just how caring are they?
A little electric scooter is such a boon if one has some mobility problems.