Too much natural history?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Too much natural history?

Post by Grandad »

Each time a new natural history program arrives on TV my wife and I ask the question "haven't we seen it all by now"?
I think the simple answer is no!
As technology progresses we are able to get even closer to the action.
The current BBC series 'Serengeti' is an example. I am in awe of the photography and how they get such close up and superb quality shots. If you have not seen this program please have a look and ask yourself "how did they get those videos"?
Brilliant stuff :up :up

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Too much natural history?

Post by Horus »

I agree Grandad, nature never fails to awe me in some way and modern photography methods coupled with TV's that can show ever more detailed images it can only get better. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My husband is an avid watcher of the Supervet, but it lost its appeal for me ages ago! At the moment, I am enjoying watching Downton Abbey which has started a re-run from the beginning and I missed it first time round. I might have a go at Peaky Blinders too, which is on iPlayer at the moment. Once again, a new one for me.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I am not keen on vet or hospital programmes either RS, Downton Abbey was a very good series and well worth watching, I will do so again when I run out of new things to watch. :up Peaky Blinders is another good series, a bit on the violent side at times, but that is all part of the way these local gangs worked and historically very true. Something not many people know, but most of the old canal bargee's could trace their roots back to gypsie ancestors and were heavily involved in the canal transport system at the time. After the demise of the canals many of them settled in the local areas where they once worked and eventually were integrated into the local population. My father once told me of a number of families that settled locally by literally taking their barges out of the water, overturning them and raising them on bricks to make long narrow houses in which they lived. I never saw these, but he must have seen them as a child, so that may have been 80/90 years ago when all of our local area was very rural.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad I agree Serengeti is really very good :) just last night I thought the mother was going to lose one of her tiger cubs :o

Horus, I've never heard before of up turned barges on bricks, suppose it makes sense to use them in another way :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm not getting "Serengeti" but I love all natural history shows. This Sunday we're getting "Shark-Fest" and I'll be watching. I've seen a bizzillion of 'em re: sharks but am always on the lookout to learn more.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:06 pm Grandad I agree Serengeti is really very good :) just last night I thought the mother was going to lose one of her tiger cubs :o
No tigers in Africa Kiya, perhaps you meant Lion ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well to be fair Grandad, baby lions are often quite stripey to blend into the background, they lose the stripes after a few months.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I should also add I am fascinated by the photography. The equipment has to be .... well ... beyond anything I can imagine. To get the shots they get has to be patience trying.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

And drones must now be used for some of the aerial shots. Camera technology today has moved on SO much. Even cellphone cameras are now capable of near professional quality images, so little wonder that HD drone cameras are so good.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

OK Grandad I'll settle for being half right thinking it was a tiger ;) your probably right in saying lion :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Basically I quite like and enjoy most of the natural history shows. There is always something to learn and research is often on-going providing new and fresh info.

I find it fascinating to have animals, fish, birds have adapted. Fascinates me why one type of bird will look a certain way to adapt to the environment while another bird living in the exact same area will look totally different to adapt to the environment. Always endlessly interesting.

Can't believe what it must take to set up some of the photographic shots either. The patience and waiting - phenomenal.