Springwatch 2019

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Springwatch 2019

Post by Grandad »

We are now into the final week of this years 3 week series from The Caingorms in Scotland. I have found this years offerings to be more interesting than usual, perhaps that is because Chris Packham seems to have toned down his enthusiasm a little and Lolo Williams is now a lead presenter rather than just a field researcher.
It took me a while to accept Gillian Burke who replaced Martin Hughes Games but I am now liking her presentation and, best of all, she speaks very clearly and that is good for those who are constantly complaining about poor TV sound, particularly in dramas. :lol:
Something very evident this year is the level of predation of bird chicks in the nest. And who would have thought that a wood mouse would predate chicks. Certainly not me.
They suggested putting a foot print trap in the garden to see what visitors call at night time. Might give that a try :lol:
Has anyone else been watching?

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Springwatch 2019

Post by Horus »

Yes I have been watching ... sometimes, for some reason I have not found it quite as addictive as you have this time around, maybe I have missed the best bits.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
H, the focus seems to have been much more on birds and to a much lesser extent fish and mammals.
I do find birds very clever creatures when I watch them and see just how maneuverable they are at high speed around feeders. The program has certainly highlighted the odds against young birds even fledging and then being at risk until they reach maturity.
There was a very interesting report on the re-introduction of white storks back to the UK after they became extinct here in the fifteenth century. As one of those responsible for this project said, "His ambition is to see white storks nesting on St Pauls Cathedral" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I saw the one with the Storks, great to see the reintroduction is going well.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What is a foot print trap? Like a paper that shows animal footprints if they step on it? Have never heard of that one before.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yes LLL. What they suggest is a simple triangular cardboard tunnel with a sheet of paper secured to the inside base and some bait halfway through. At each end they suggest some sort of coloured dye that would transfer to the intruders feet. I am not sure what that could be and will have to watch again to see what they said. It would be useless if it was something that dried out.

I don't think this would work with bears :lol: :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I enjoyed tonights programme a lot more interesting.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Springwatch was pretty good on its last night for this year, I do enjoy seeing the success of them introducing several bird species that went extinct in the UK many centuries ago. I am a great fan of protecting wildlife and think we should do more, for some time now I have been considering getting all my neighbours to link up our back gardens to encourage hedgehogs, that guy on the programme last night was fine example of what it can achieve. The next step is to sort out this honey bee problem by totally banning certain insecticides.

While on the subject of programmes, has anyone watched a short 4 part series on BBC2 called 'The Island' ? Quite enjoyable, it is about several families going to live for a month in an old fishing village in Wales. The format was a bit predictable but it did show the hardship that some of these communities had to deal with. Probably available on i-player.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is quite a movement here for us to all start having Bat Houses in the backyards. They're harmless and do eat tons of bugs. It is almost like putting up a flat bird house. Just need to find somebody handy dandy who will make me one as the 'store bought' are running $60 which is super pricey as they're nothing more than a flat birdhouse.

Another movement gaining momentum is for everybody to raise "Mason Bees." These are not honey producers but they are terrific pollinators. Basically you have a house looking affair (like a birdhouse) but the front is all cardboard tubes where the bees go in and nest. Once they emerge they only stay in the immediate area as pollinators. About all you need is a 4" x 4" chunk of wood and drill holes. To keep the holes clean you insert the paper tubes that can be easily replaced after they are cleaned.

https://thehoneybeeconservancy.org/why-bees/mason-bees/

As for hedgehogs and having them in your garden - wouldn't they be a bonus if they're eating bugs and insects? It isn't like they're a rabbit that can tear up plants and burrow so I really don't see a downside to having them. Not too sure how Annie would take to them although I can envision in my mind's eye the "meeting"...….(wouldn't necessarily be nice)! :o ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Annie is OK with hedgehogs, she is always sniffing as to where they have been in the garden, mind you a close encounter would probably involve her catching fleas, but as a rule they are fairly secretive creatures they just need more access to gardens. That bat house could be simply made, if you just nail two strips (about 2" x 2" timber) down two sides of a a fairly wide flat board (say about 12" wide) so that the open back is fixed up against a wall, ideally under the eaves. Make sure it has about a 2" gap behind the face and it is open on the underside for them to crawl in.
The mason bee home can be made using cut sections of bamboo garden canes bunched together and tied with wire and placed somewhere dry.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I quite concur the bat houses could be very simply and cheaply made. There are handmade ones around and granted the do cut grooves in to the back board but they're charging a veritable fortune for these here which means not too many people are buying them.

We had a man on my street making and selling Mason Bee Houses for $20. He had cut up a couple of 6" x 6" and drilled holes in them so the tubes could easily fit in (our Feed Mills sell the tubes). I wasn't here to get one and from watching online he sold out fast. I thought he'd make more but ?? Maybe next year.

IF I could find the empty bamboo canes here I'd make one myself by wrapping them together in a bunch with wire and then backing them with something but, to date, I haven't found the empty bamboo sections. From all I've read about them Mason bees are fairly non-stinging quiet insects that do lots of good. I wouldn't mind them in the garden as I've got lots to pollinate. I'd really like to keep honey bees but I lack the space for a hive and I really lack the inclination to have an active hive in that it is lots of equipment and work for just one.