Learning Sumthin' New

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Learning Sumthin' New

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

India... November Echo Echo Delta... Tango Oscar...Lima Echo Alpha Romeo November...Tango Hotel India Sierra AND I need to do it soon.

Go figure that since I've joined a para-military organization I need to learn how to report things on radio with this lingo. Apparently it is world wide but somehow I've managed to exist without ever needing to really know what these 26 words are. Ahh well - I was bored so decided to UN-bore me by joining.

Oscar Victor Echo Oscar...Alpha November Delta ... Oscar Uniform Tango

Lima Lima Lima

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Learning Sumthin' New

Post by Grandad »

I think you mixed an Oscar with a Romeoin your sign off, Lima Lima Lima.
I very often use the NATO code on the telephone because, If I have problems understanding others, they may have problems understanding me.
In particular I use it when quoting postal codes and vehicle numbers.

Golf Romeo Alpha November Delta Alpha Delta ;) :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Funnily enough I also noticed the missing Romeo :lol: not that I am really fluent as I don't use it often enough, but I do understand it when spoken. Like Grandad I will use it on the telephone when giving postcodes or doccument numbers, but on occassion I do know I make a couple of alternatives up, I often say 'Freddie' instead of 'Foxtrot' :lol: :lol:

Ostrich-Vera-Elephant-Rotweiler ...... Ant-Nipple-Doughnut ....... Ostrich-Unicorn-Turd ...................... Horrible :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It was used a lot during the days of CB radio back in the early 80's. DH still uses it a lot - especially on the phone.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

India have NEVER used it - AND apparently I now cannot call into Dispatch and make up my own words i.e. What is clearer - Norman or November?

When I volunteer at Blood Services Clinic they have "code words" too - i.e. when somebody is getting off a bed after donating the Nurses will call out "EIGHT, EIGHT" which means they want one of us to go and walk with the person back to the Snack table.

If at the snack table somebody gets light headed (happens lots) and/or gets a re-bleed we call out "NINE NIne" and a Nurse will scurry over.

The very first time (and this is me) a man got a re-bleed. He gushed blood big time and it literally pumped all over the table and snacks. I later got informed that yelling "Oh Sh*t" was NOT the correct CODE...……..such is life and somehow when blood was flying all over the code word 'NINE' didn't immediately come to mind or to my tongue. Live and learn 'eh?'

I somehow thing I won't be able to change the culture of the RCMP to accept my own version of the letters so I guess I've got something to learn.

BTW - I never noticed I "Oscar'd" instead of "Romeo'd" either. Course that is the saga of my life - no Romeos! ;) ;) ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I use it all the time still. Makes life a little easier with strong accents I find.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I later got informed that yelling "Oh Sh*t" was NOT the correct CODE...…….
:lol: :lol: that made me laugh LLL something I would have done. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today went well. We registered bikes, had the "Red Serge Mountie" show up and the weather cooperated fully. I even ready out the bicycles serial codes in proper Alpha, Bravo, Charlie code and got everything entered on the laptop. Now if one of these bikes gets stolen and recovered the owner can be located easily.
DSCN1807.JPG
DSCN1730.JPG
DSCN1747.JPG
DSCN1774.JPG
DSCN1800.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.