What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - great for the good news and you sound in pretty decent shape (artery-wise). Am sure as they do more tests and eliminate the obvious they'll narrow down other reasons why you may be becoming short on breath. Appreciate the update.

Today I'm off to the Pottery studio. Since the fiasco day of the other Technician leaving we now have a very nice young woman 'supervising' or 'running' the studio. She is a Fine Arts Student from the University here and has been teaching the children's class. She will now be running the studio for all classes along with another fellow who is also a Fine Arts student. He appeared briefly last week. They definitely seem energetic and are really keen on getting the entire studio put together and cleaned up. I quite agree - WHY keep old fired pieces from 2 or 3 years ago? Is anybody really thinking the person who made these pieces is suddenly going to re-appear and start glazing or ??

I passed all the Volunteer RCMP training so am good to go. I still have to pass the vehicle driving component before I can drive their vehicle though. Have actually been thinking about this and if I do NOT pass I get to be Navigator which I see as considerably LESS work so :tk :tk :tk thinking on how smart and adept I will be this Friday when I go for the test and orientation.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Did I miss something here? what exactly will you be driving?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - there is one vehicle that is designated a Community Police Vehicle. It looks a bit like a Van, was purchased actually by the City for use of RCMP Volunteers. If you look close it says "Community Policing" on it but a quick glace makes it a Law Enforcement vehicle. In the front there are 2 seats and in the back it is like a modified bench seat (goes 2/3 of the way across) so there is storage for radar guns, speed checking equipment, signs, Vis-vests - stuff like that (although I now have my own bright yellow jacket and t-shirts with the RCMP logo + Volunteer on them.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ah, so you are a bit like our police 'Specials' or Comminity police by the sounds of it.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus
All I can say mate is that with all your problems of the last few days 'THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER' ;)
Shopping today Whoopee :lol: Boring :( At least tomorrow I will 'fire up' the scooter and go into town to collect a prescription. I can knock one item off the list which was a precautionary drug for Wednesdays procedure. So now only 8 items on my list. :lol:
As we depend to some extent on assistance from family, the coming week is not looking good. It is school half term and #2 son and his family are off to France for the week to visit his wifes family in Saint- Nazaire . #1 son is off all week and as he has a smart new open top car he and his wife are 'Going somewhere'. Our daughter who works at a school IS also off so she will be a willing taxi. :lol: (they have also volunteered to come round and cut the grass (weeds) on the bank. Looks like another lunch treat I am in for, like you Horus. ;) :lol:
I am still talking to the tomato plants each morning.......the neighbours have started to look at me with a quizzical expression. :o
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@ Grandad, Happy to hear everything went well at the hospital , just take it easy :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - yes it is Community Volunteer Policing. We set up Radars and do speed checks, check for distracted driving (you can get a ticket out of those two things), we do 'parking lot audits' where we check cars to see if Insurance has expired (you get a caution but nothing else results) and/or to ensure nothing of value (no electronics) are left in plain sight so as to encourage a break-in. We do have to drive through the parking first though as lots of druggies & vagrants there and if so we have to call City Bylaw Officials to come and move 'em along. We've also got computers to check for stolen vehicles although apparently nobody has yet to actually get a positive 'hit' and actually locate one. Lots of other computer things to do and look at too AND there IS paperwork attached to all of it ;) ;) What would any Gov't entity be without paper?

This weekend I'm going to a special event on Sunday where the RCMP are registering bicycles called "Garage 529". If your bike gets stolen and it is not registered you are 'outta luck' for getting it back even if the Police have it so usually lots of people turn up. All last week (I didn't participate) the RCMP sponsored an outdoor week for all the school kids to participate on their obstacle course, they've got another week coming up whereby they sponsor 'ride your bike to work' so booths are set up (not too sure what really happens there) and then in July there is another week or 10 days when they have all the RCMP Cadets arrive here and us Volunteers do everything from act as actors in scenerios to serve food.

How much or how little I participate is up to me but they do want 8 hours (aka 2 shifts/month put in). Definitely occupies the time
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
LLL, my #3 grand daughter has just been accepted for something similar but full time.
She left school at 16 by choice because she had got herself a hairdressing apprenticeship. She did very well but became disillusioned when she completed the course (18 months) and then found that there was great pressure to sell hair products with the actual hairdressing and colouring becoming less important.
She likes working with children and changed direction to a job with a pre school nursery. She loved the work but the pay was poor and her and her boyfriend want to move up the housing ladder.
She applied for and has been accepted to the county police force as a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO), that Horus mentioned earlier. She starts an 8 week training in July and will then be located at a local police station.
We are giving her every encouragement because once in the police, opportunities can open up for career development.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And then who knows Grandad 'Line of Duty' springs to mind. :D
My next door neighbours daughter started that way and ended up full time, she has now transferred to something to do with child protection within the police service.

They would not dare give me those powers LLL, I would be booking half my neighbours for the way they park.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Me going for the Vehicle orientation didn't happen :( Instructor called it off due to illness and will have to re-schedule so since I then had a free afternoon I took me out to a local Vietnamese Restaurant for Pho Ga (Chicken, rice noodle with fresh bean sprouts and mint). The restaurant I went to wasn't my favourite and since I was there last they re-did the floor in that they took up the carpet and polished the concrete. The walls were still decorated as I remembered but I found the atmosphere a bit different with all the chairs & tables now being on concrete. I asked the Server if they were in the middle of renovations but they said "no" and elaborated the renos are done and the floor is now polished concrete.

Thought it might rain today so I didn't water anything but did wash the car. Was about the extent of my day.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've had a lovely week - scales tell me that I have lost 18lbs since I came here and my clothes are starting to hang off me rather.

However I have been out to lunch twice with a friend of my daughter's who is like a son to me. He is an artist so we went to two restaurants, new to me and which display his work for sale in their gift shops.

The first was La Paloma in San Lorenzo. Fortunately it was a very sunny day and we could enjoy the lovely garden with discrete tables surrounded by flowering shrubs and trees. I don't know what it is like inside but outside quite lovely - the gardener should be congratulated, a real show piece.

There is a wait for service as all main courses are cooked to order using a "farm to table policy". My friend had a steak sandwich which he said was very tender and tasty. I had a chocolate Brownie - possibly the best I have ever eaten. A definite 10 out of 10. No wonder it is popular with the rich and famous. Not cheap but good value. :up

Next we went to On the Beach in San Vicente. Completely different to La Paloma. Literally on the beach, but no sand underfoot as it's tiled. Few private tables but lots of sofas with well stuffed cushions and coffee tables suitable for groups of friends. I have been here before out of season when the beach was almost deserted - even early in the season now it is pretty busy and we had a short wait for a table. The first thing the lovely waitress asked was "Would you like a blanket?" We declined but near our table was a sofa with four young women snuggled up together, each with a fluffy blanket - when they left wearing very short skirts and skimpy tops I could see why. The wind was bitter that day. I ordered salmon salad, but it wasn't at all nice and the salmon was raw. My friend's meal was "adequate". Nice setting, plenty of staff who obviously chosen for their beauty, as well as efficiency. I'd give it 7 out of 10 overall. :urm:

Yesterday my daughter took me to Passion restaurant in Santa Eulalia. One of my all time favourites, every visit I have had an excellent meal and service though it is very popular and we may have to wait for a table.
I was hoping for their legendary sweet potato chips, but not available at present. :( Instead I had a salmon burger with black buns and "small" salad which was simply huge. I gave a good account of myself but could not eat all of it. The black buns were really jet black and really tasty. As usual 10 out of 10. :D :up

It's been raining the last couple of days, not torrential but persistent which the land really needs. We lit the fire last night for a Friday couch snuggle while catching up on East Enders. Unfortunately every week we seem to get one episode that has failed to record - but it doesn't happen with anything else. :tk

No workmen today - perfect peace.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like you had a lovely few days and are settling in very well :up mind you if you keep scoffing those lovely chocolate cakes all that 18lbs will be back on again. :lol: :lol: If you can be more precise as to where these restaurants are I may be able to get a Google view for us all to see. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

La Paloma - San Lorenzo right in the middle of the island. https://www.google.es/maps/place/Restau ... d1.4757023

On The Beach - San Vicente
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Res ... 4d1.590485

Passion - Santa Eulalia This is actually right on the promenade at the far Western end, not inland as per Google.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Pas ... 4d1.532845

I wasn't sure about putting business links on the forum. :tk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

With regard to my weight loss Horus , I decided that at my age I wanted to enjoy the food that I fancied - when I fancied it and only to eat until I was comfortably satisfied, no matter how much was still on my plate.

Tea and coffee have 2 spoons of sugar, but 1 coffee and 3 teas are normal per day otherwise water. I usually have one "proper" meal a day. Then a small snacks maybe in the evening. Last night it was some Pringles, usually a banana.
I don't eat dairy or fried food usually because I don't like them. Normal chips I never eat. The only bread is an odd sandwich, maybe once a month. Actually I'm very conservative when in the UK I have a piece of fish and mixed veg. nearly every day, just varying the kind of veg. A chocolate Brownie once or twice a year - other cake, never.

After my blow out lunch at Passion yesterday I had some Pringles about 11.00pm last night, usually a banana never chocolate biscuits but maybe a few digestive biscuits.

It's now 2.30pm I'm not hungry and I haven't eaten today. Sometimes it's after 6pm before I eat, sometimes I eat in the morning and that's it for the day. I feel comfortable and healthy, I am better able to do domestic tasks so what more can I ask? :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No problem with those links MD, its not as if you are advertising the place, you are only adding them to visually enhance your post, If there was a problem Keefy will let me know.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Fantastic MD! Loved your description and the links really added to feeling & seeing where you are and what you're doing. Sure sounds like you're living in Paradise. I wouldn't be thinking about leaving - matter of fact I'm thinking about joining you! ;) :)

Great on you re: weight loss. Personally I don't worry about weight but I do worry about being flexible and able to move and to twist and bend. I also love to 'live in comfort' in that I'm not too concerned what style or fashion is I'm wearing whatever feels good and comfy and keeps me warm. I'm into if it feels good do it aka eating whatever whenever so if I'm not hungry to 11pm I'm not eating 'til 11pm ;) :up

You're definitely in a lovely corner of the world :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

As for me not too sure exactly what I'm going to be doing today. Was hoping for the promised sunshine instead I have a grey drizzling rain which is not all bad given the garden.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

MD, do I remember you saying you would be returning to Cardiff? I would think very carefully about that :lol: :lol:
All sounds idyllic to me, and the restaurants you mention are the kind we like to find when in Spain or its islands. :up
I think I need to take note of your (and LLL's) eating policy. I have lost a little over recent months but would like to lose a lot more. But I DO like food :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - re: diet and losing weight. IF you can do it eliminate the starches that are fast metabolizing aka chips, white bread or anything with lots of white sugar in it. I rarely rarely if ever eat bread and/or anything made with sugar (white/brown/raw - any of those combinations). It does feel good to eat them and the quick rush it gives is nice but in the long run not worth it as it gets your blood sugar levels rushing about which results in highs and lows.

I do eat lots of fruit and fresh veggies and try for protein early on in the day meaning I'll eat one or two eggs for breakfast with an orange. For lunch I'm into cheese and other than no fat milk which I only put into tea that is about it for dairy protein for me. I really do spice up foods for the taste. Hate bland and enjoy the flavours.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

All this talk of food! I don't worry about it - but, then again, at between 40-42kl, I guess I don't have to, do I? :lol: