customs restrictions in Cairo

A place for new members to tell the forum members a little bit about themselves and their interest in Egypt.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

flashkow

customs restrictions in Cairo

Post by flashkow » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and wondered if you could help...

I am in the middle of an interior design project in Sharm El Sheikh and have got to the stage where I wish to take a colour coordinating kettle and toaster out with me from the UK in my hold luggage. The problem is that I will be stopping off at Cairo for a few days shopping before flying down to Sharm and wondered if anyone had taken items like this in their luggage and if they had problems with customs or had to pay and if so, how much? Not sure of the regulations :ni:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: customs restrictions in Cairo

Post by Horus » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Welcome to the forum Flashkow and always feel free to join in :up as to your question, I am sure that someone like MD (Mad Dilys) will be able to answer your question better than I can when she looks in. :)

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Welcome FlashKow.

I have brought back from the UK some weird and wonderful stuff, mostly through Luxor but occasionally through Cairo.

This may help you https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/18719 ... om-is-6.5/
On this page there is a list of countries and their rates for tax/duty on imported kitchen equipment.
Unless you are bringing in a significant quantity for re-sale, you might not have to pay at all. On the other hand according to the above website about 43% of the purchase price before VAT would seem appropriate.

When you buy the goods in the UK explain that you want the bill to show the basic price and how much VAT was paid, so that you can reclaim the VAT as the goods are leaving the country.
This is a useful site if purchasing from a store. http://www.johnlewis.com/customer-servi ... ent-stores
However if you are purchasing online read this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custom ... =201244390

I keep all the receipts for goods and when they ask what are in the bags, I always answer honestly and suggest that they look as I am not current on customs regulations.

I have tried working with the trade section of the Egyptian Embassy some years ago, while kind and sympathetic they really didn't seem to know what the current rules were either.

I always get stopped in Luxor - seldom in Cairo though. The rules seem to be very flexible and there may be local variations. When I brought in one of the first desktop scanners it descended into such a farce that after I had been through nine departments, each requiring a written application to discuss the appropriate tax/duty - I finally left it in customs. I also left a video player in customs at Luxor as they wanted to charge me 100% tax on it and I refused. A microwave oven caused no problem, nor did a vacuum cleaner or a set of sheep shears or a multitude of other odds and ends.

Last but by no means least I think a bit of research on this site may be very useful to you.

You may find exactly what you want in Cairo - there are a lot of very rich people in Cairo with amazing homes furnished from Egyptian suppliers - at a price of course!

Hope that helps both for now and the future. ;)
Smile! It confuses people

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks MD, I knew we could rely on you to give us the most comprehensive information, hope that helps you Flashkow :up