Crimea Vote

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Crimea Vote

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Any predictions on how Crimea will vote? Going to be interesting. Seems there is some pretty strong pro-Russia movement.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Crimea Vote

Post by Grandad »

As most, if not all, Ukrainian speakers have abstained, it will be an overwhelming YES to becoming a Russian state.
If that is the will of the people so be it, why should we interfere?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Also remember that it was Russian until 1956 when Kruschev gave it away in to be part of the Ukraine, obviously a gesture that did not take into account the ending of the cold war and Ukraine starting to favour closer ties with the West. I'm with Grandad on this one, it's really none of our bussiness and out of our real sphere of influence and Russia has far more reasons to want to secure the Crimea due to it's Black Sea fleet, so who are we to interfere? 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm no expert on the area at all but from what I've been seeing, hearing, reading in the Media it is going to revert back to Russia. I agree that if that IS the will of the people then we need do nothing more. If it returns I think Russia will be satisfied and it will help them to remain secure in their interests which is probably in the best interest of everybody all 'round.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The biggest problem for Europe is that as part of the conditions for Ukraine giving up it's own nuclear arsenal was that certain countries, Britain and America included guaranteed it's security, so if this (aggression aginst Ukraine) goes unchallenged then any future guarantees by the West including N.A.T.O. look worthless.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems the vote was in the mid-90% for a go back to Russia however today seems the US is declaring the vote illegal and they're putting sanctions against Russia. Mind now this is all being done by President Obama via executive order. He is going to stand firm with Ukraine.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Damned if you do and damned if you don't in these situations. This could become a real hot spot for a serious confrontation or Russia may be satisfied with the referendum and welcome Crimea to its 'fold'. It would then be able to protect its military bases in Crimea.
But will Kiev just let Crimea float away to Russia? If it does then Russia could take the view that they allowed us to take Crimea, where else is there a large population of Russians within Ukraine and go and annex that area.
It can't take much for Kiev to say enough is enough and to mobilise, and the west would have a bound duty to join in the defence of Ukraine. Then what...then what? WWIII?
WWI started with an assassination, WWII started with a not too dissimilar land grab :?:
Doesn't look too good really, doesn't take much for Russia to get into a fight and the proposed sanctions will do nothing...
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hard to say what will happen. I think if pushed Russia will retaliate and then what - as you say WWIII? Too much in the world going on these days. Everybody needs to sit down, have a cuppa and take it easy - however - easier said than done I guess.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I get this awful feeling that Ukraine will break up similar to the old Czechoslovakia because there is so much internal ethnic tension and Russia will take advantage of that.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Possibly it could. Haven't heard any updates as all the NEWS here is focus'd on the flight and very little else is being talked about. Probably could check on the Internet but haven't done that yet.