Morsi Speech (2nd July -11-30pm)

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Morsi Speech (2nd July -11-30pm)

Post by DJKeefy »

(read from bottom to top)

24:22 "My iron will is with my people and is unshaken." President Morsi finishes the speech after saluting the nation.

24:19 "Legitimacy and legitimacy alone, the constitution and constitution alone, and the elections and the elections alone."

24:17 "There are many challenges but the biggest is not to fall in the trap and take the country in the wrong direction, and make our enemies happy."

24:15 "To save the nation we need to sacrifice, but not against each other....when we announce jihad that must be against foreign enemies and not against each other. We sacrifice for our country and I am the first to sacrifice. If the cost for legitimacy is my blood i will give it easily."

24:12 "The constitution which we all uphold and respect says that the government that will be chosen by the parliament will have more authorities than the president."

24:10 "We have to prove to the world that we are capable of democracy...peacefully we protect the legitimacy...legitimacy is our only guard from future faults....I do not accept anyone saying anything or taking steps against legitimacy; this is completely rejected."

24:07 "After this I decided there is no alternative for legitimacy and keeping an open channel for dialogue...Legitimacy is the only guarantee against violence.The old regime won’t return....If this initiative isn’t accepted, the country will go down a dark road and we’ll be back to square one."

24:05 "I called for dialogue. An initiative was made to talk with the opposition, form a new government, hasten the elections laws to hold parliamentary elections soon after 6 months, resolve the crisis of the prosecutor-general, empower youth in decision making."

24:02 "There is no problem with peaceful protests."

24:00 "I want to say some clear points...There is no alternative for legitimacy, constitutional legitimacy, legal legitimacy, the legitimacy of elections held before."

23:58 Morsi continues: "We want a strong army; don’t ever insult the Egyptian army. Safeguard the army with me because it is our support. Don’t ever use violence against it. I’m telling all Egyptians - no violence between each other or towards the army or police.

Violence and bloodshed is a trap, if we fall into it, its the end of us."

23:56 "I will safeguard legitimacy with my life."

23:54 "My message to you all, to the opposition, is that I will stand by this legitimacy. And to the supporters who respect democracy and love legitimacy, safeguard Egypt and the revolution. Don’t let the revolution be stolen from you, opponents and supporters."

23:52 President Morsi continues, "I care very much that the blood of Egyptians is not spilt. I will stand firm against any who spill this blood."

23:50 "The old regime don’t want democracy. They’re used to rigging elections. They don’t know what democracy and freedom of expression are. They are using the youth and those suffering from the economic problems to sow chaos and violence. Why doesn’t this violence appear until they announce they will change the regime and abort democracy?"

23:48 The speech is sounding fairly similar in tone to Wednesday's speech. It certainly doesn't sound like the beginning of a resignation.

Morsi continues: "It is normal after revolution for there to be opposition and support. We wrote a constitution and it was (passed) via referendum. We had legitimacy afterwards, and this legitimacy is what guarantees for us that there be no infighting between us and no bloodshed if we respect it."

23:45 He accuses the "remnants of the former regime" and the deep state of blocking Egypt's transition.

23:43 President Morsi says that " I want for Egypt to own its own will, for no one to dictate what it should do...There are people outside of Egypt who don’t want Egypt to own its will. It’s easy to just listen to instructions. Egypt’s revolution wasn’t the revolution of the hungry. It was the revolution for owning our will, freedom and justice."

23:40 He reiterates that he has made mistakes, and that things have become clearer after his first year in office.

23:35 President Morsi is speaking on Egyptian state television. He talks about Egypt's transition, stressing that he came to power through the first free presidential elections, and mentioning that the 2011 revolution was peaceful.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Morsi Speech (2nd July -11-30pm)

Post by Horus »

I reckon its all over for him now, reports of seeing some military vehicles on the streets are filtering through and reports that he and his main players have been given a travel ban.