Wishy Washy Politicians or ???

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Wishy Washy Politicians or ???

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Maybe this thought that is floating through my brain tonight is happening cause of the funeral of Margaret Thatcher.

Is it just me or do you think those we are electing are doing their jobs and making the hard decisions required of them or do you think they're preoccupied with their own stats prior to them actually making a decision and therefore not necessarily making the difficult decisions?

While politicians are now elected many of them enter politics as careers with every intention of remaining in their elected positions for life. This means while they have to do what they were elected to do they have to be preoccupied with making the right or appropriate decisions to get re-elected. Does this make them wishywashy? Is this why, IMO, nowadays we're not really seeing STRONG BOLD LEADERS?

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Wishy Washy Politicians or ???

Post by Grandad »

That's an interesting point LLL and one that would create a heated debate here in the UK. I don't think there can be any doubt that Margaret Thatcher was a strong leader with conviction and the guts to stand by what she believed was right. She had a weak 'team' around her who ultimately put the knife in and brought about her downfall. She should really have seen the writing on the wall and stood down about a year earlier.

But what have we got now in our coalition government. A minority group who come third or even fourth in some elections, but are pulling the strings of the major party and thereby dumbing down our politics. I don't see any real leaders in our coalition and, to be honest, whether it is the government or the opposition, they are all mostly 'posh boys' who are completely out of touch with real people living difficult times to support their families.

But they are all too easily persuaded by minority groups to pander to their lobbying, just to stay in favour and gain their votes.

We don't have any strong leaders and, as you suggest, the politicians are, in the main, just there on a gravy train to better their own lot and to be 'yes men, and women' to the party line.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I cannot argue with anything that Grandad says and he summed it up about right, so if he living in the South of the country and me living in the North are in general agreement about our past and current politicians then it must be fairly representative of public opinion across the UK.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been thinking along these lines lately myself in that IF you're in what you see as your job for life you're going to do whatever is necessary to keep favour so as to keep your job. Politicians never started out as career politicians. They were more apt to be persons who had an issue who came into politics. Now many of our elected officials are essentially career people making their living by getting elected year after year. Are they really going to stick their neck out to take the high road less favoured or make the hard decisions or are they going to pander to the minorities or special interest people or do whatever they need to to keep favour with the majority so as to remain electable come the next round of elections?

I think we, the people, need to start lobbying that our politicians have a cap on their terms of service. The more I see all these career politicians they are not remotely in touch with their constituents, have no real grasp of the struggles of the average man on the streets. This is particularly true when sons or daughters take over elected positions long held by their family.

We're not doing ourselves any good keeping some of these career politicians in office.