Pro Munarak Supporters Head for Tahir Square

Egypt has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Pro Munarak Supporters Head for Tahir Square

Post by Horus »

There are in the region of 20,000 pro Mubarak supporters heading for Tahir square where there are still large numbers of anti Mubarak supporters, lets just hope this is not an excuse for the army to start clamping down with a heavy hand :(

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Some violence is now breaking out between opposing groups near the Cairo Museum :(
Claire

As expected

Post by Claire »

As I said before Mubarek's speech was a clever one. Designed to divide opinion, I can see it with my own Egyptian friends many who were happy that he had said he would go! So is it back to divide and rule and a regime of fear? I really hope not.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree Claire, my own biggest fear is that now he has made these promises, the army now have a reason to clamp down on any civil unrest in the intersts of stability. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It now seems that a little calm has returned with the opposing factions in tahir Square shaking hands and saying "We are all Egyptians" lets hope this peacefull mood continues :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have been absolutely 'swamped' these past few days and haven't had a chance to catch up 'til now and OMG :( this is BAD!

I haven't seen LOTS of details and am not caught up however it sure looks like somebody is orchestrating this......Not happy with these updates.......I feel sooooo bad for the Egyptian people.
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

A minor point I know, but can we clear up the spelling... I have always known it as Tahir square, but now I see it as Tahrir on here and in the Media. Anyone??? Even on BBBW the reporters weren't sure how to pronounce it.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Winged Isis wrote:A minor point I know, but can we clear up the spelling... I have always known it as Tahir square, but now I see it as Tahrir on here and in the Media. Anyone??? Even on BBBW the reporters weren't sure how to pronounce it.
I said the very same thing to my hubby WI.I had always had it down as Tahir as well.
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

I'm sure that's how it's spelt on street signs. :dun:
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

I'm sure that's how it's spelt on street signs. :dun: Don't have a Lonely Planet handy.
Claire

Tahrir

Post by Claire »

It's pronounced tahrir anyway and it means liberation. How it's written in English letters depends who's writing it!!!
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

- -

Post by Jayway »

Whatever you call it, the journalists are really getting sorted out now - -
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

From what I've been able to watch on TV here (simplistically) - the Journalists were ok and reporting, then things got bad and they were all 'attacked' ostensibly by PRO-M supporters then they were back reporting.

*This was ONLY the US Reporters from what I could tell here. Not sure if they're going to continue to remain or be pulled out.

Really 'sad' when a Regime doesn't want anybody to "SEE" what is going on. Doesn't bode well for the people.....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

There was a report on Twitter that a Greek journalist had been killed, but this has been denied by their embassey. Al Jazeera reporters have been hassled and their office closed which does seem strange as they are a highly respected news agency. :?:
jewel

Post by jewel »

I think any media can amplify a situation and report it from their own viewpoint that is why a media clampdown is preferable in such situations as it can make things worse for the people involved.

It would appear there are many divisions appearing between the anti mubarak supporters themselves, and they seem to be fractured and have no clear leadership or mandate therefore it can only fizzle out or create more disturbances as they become more divided.

Technology created this revolution, and media like twitter and facebook etc created a youth rebellion, and will probably end it too one way or another :?

but it seems too orchestrated...........
"If you understand, things are just as they are, if you do not understand things are just as they are"
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It does seem to be losing momentum, maybe that was the governments intentions all along, just keep it contained and let them burn themselves out. :) All it will take is another disaster somewhere else in the world and it will lose centre place on the news, think Palestine 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The "BIG" news here (USA) today about the Egyptian situation is that Suleiman is saying the Journalists are fueling this uprising and the Commentary here is that the Journalists are now being blamed by the Egyptian gov't.

And so the finger pointing starts. Momentum will dwindle and I'm sure if the Egyptian Gov't 'waits' it can starve the people down.

I'm a bit feared that because of this Protest (which I personally think is GREAT) it will have a real negative impact on tourism and the people will suffer more cause of this. Almost like they're in a no-win. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.