WE are OLDER than Egypt!! :)

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

WE are OLDER than Egypt!! :)

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems one of the students at Victoria University has unearthed a 14,000 yr old village on the Island!! Well, an island just off shore the Island but "wow" they've found lots of items. This news item was published last week but am just catching up reading it now:

CTV Vancouver Island
Published Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:56PM PDT
Last Updated Friday, April 7, 2017 1:07PM PDT

An ancient village older than the pyramids has been unearthed by a University of Victoria student, and a B.C. First Nation says it backs up tribe stories passed down for generations. Alisha Gauvreau, an anthropology PhD student at UVic, has been excavating a rocky spit on Triquet Island, some 500 kilometres northwest of Victoria. Scientists say the artifacts exhumed on the remote island are painting a picture of how our civilization began.

Alisha Gauvreau, an anthropology PhD student at UVic, and a crew have been excavating a rocky spit on Triquet Island, some 500 kilometres northwest of Victoria. (Courtesy Hakai Institute)
“I remember when we get the dates back and we just kind of sat there going, holy moly, this is old,” said Gauvreau.“What this is doing is just changing our idea of the way in which North America was first peopled.”
What the team found is incredible: Tools for lighting fires, fish hooks and spears, all dating back 14,000 years.

The discovery has led experts to believe a large human migration may have occurred on B.C.’s unfrozen coastline.

What’s more remarkable, according to one B.C. First Nation, is that the scientific discovery appears to corroborate the tribe's oral history.

“It’s very special to not only me, but our entire tribe,” said Heiltsuk Nation’s William Housty.
Housty said Heiltsuk First Nation elders have passed down stories of ancient coastal villages for ages, and those cultural stories are now cemented in fact.

“To think about how these stories survived all of that, only to be supported by this archeological evidence is just amazing,” he said.

The B.C. village is the oldest to be discovered in North America, but crews’ work isn’t over yet.
Scientists will dig on other remote B.C. islands to keep tracking the ancient footprint of man as far as it goes. 

With a report from CTV Vancouver Island's Scott Cunningham

Never realized we were that OLD but apparently so. Hopefully more news about this discovery will come out as a documentary. Will be very interesting :) :)

This is the actual URL with the video:

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/14-00 ... -1.3358511

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: WE are OLDER than Egypt!! :)

Post by Horus »

Very interesting, I supppose we all tend to think of just our own civilisation and forget the many that must have come before us. It should not surprise us though because it is believed that the Americas were originally populated by people crossing the Barring Straights when it was a narrow strip of land and gave rise to the 'Clovis' people who are known for their spear point technology.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That is an amazing find and another piece of the jigsaw of 'intelligent' life on earth.

I don't actually think 14000 years is that long in the whole scheme of things. I expect that primitive life went back even further. What does amaze me is how stories get passed down by elders over so many generations. I do wonder however to what extent those stories get changed over time. A bit like 'Chinese whispers'
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow! that is amazing , look forward to hearing more about it :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I hope we get to hear more about this too.

I also think that there are probably way more finds than this one however the area is so very remote with so many difficulties to overcome just to explore there i.e. remote with no landing abilities. You can't just pull up to a dock as there are none and the land just juts precipitously out of the water with really no natural beaches or shores. And what is jutting up is hard rock. It really does rain pretty constantly and in that area you get white out fogs off the Pacific that just roll in lessening visibility down to a few feet. Exploring there you have to contend with lots of wildlife (grizzly bears) and absolutely everything you need must be trucked in. Am not even sure if communications work in that area either. Would be super hard slogging to do an excavation.

Hopefully there will be a documentary coming out about this. Be really interesting and lots of questions. I kinda wonder why they opted to explore that area in the first place? It isn't exactly on the beaten path of where anybody would be just strolling around looking and finding an old campsite. And from the clip they've dug down in a specific area - again why specifically there?

First Nations/Native American stories that were supposedly passed down all have themes of ascribing characteristics of nature & animals and relating them to characteristics of people i.e. the wily crow, the powerful whale, the wind that blows like wild woman. Sometimes these stories have a moral to them too. I'd question that these stories are 14,000 yrs old as any observant story-teller who looks at aspects of nature and wildlife and applies them to people would develop a similar story.