Stolen artifacts recovered

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Al-Masry Al-Youm
Thu, 08/11/2012 - 13:54

Security services seized on Thursday stolen artifacts in Cairo, Giza and Sharqiya.

Four people are suspected of attempting to sell artifacts stolen from the Egyptian Museum out of an apartment in Maadi. Two suspects were arrested for possessing a stone bust and 28 golden pieces, which are not believed to be authentic artifacts. One of them reportedly admitted to planning to sell the objects.

A third suspect was also arrested for possession of stolen artifacts, which he said he had acquired from a fourth person, who allegedly stole them from the museum.

In Giza, investigations indicated that suspects hid artifacts found by archaeological missions operating in the Berket Khaled area in Badrashein and planned to sell them. 

Police said they arrested a person with a criminal record in Sharqiya who possessed five medium-sized statues and a base for another, but its authenticity is also doubted. 

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/st ... -recovered

Carpe diem! :le:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Stolen artifacts recovered

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wonder where they got them? Who authenticated them? And who would buy alleged 'real, veritable, honest to goodness artifacts' out of an apartment in Maadi?

I mean if I was a really bona fide collector or lover of antiquities such that I just had to have, the proverbial, whatever I sure wouldn't be spending my money on artifacts being bootlegged out of an apartment.

I'd also hope to be altruistic enough to want to keep all really terrific, great, wonderful artifacts in a public museum for all to enjoy.