Did Skin Cream Kill Egypt’s Queen Hatshepsut?

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Did Skin Cream Kill Egypt’s Queen Hatshepsut?

Post by DJKeefy »

The Egyptian queen Hatshepsut might have accidentally poisoned herself with skin lotion, according to a new study. Researchers have detected a highly carcinogenic substance in the dried contents of a cosmetic vial found among the female pharaoh’s possessions. One of ancient Egypt’s most powerful rulers, Hatshepsut is thought to have died of bone cancer in 1458 B.C.

A flask of lotion believed to have belonged to the female pharaoh Hatshepsut contains a carcinogenic substance that might ultimately have killed the Egyptian queen, German researchers said today. Part of the permanent collection at the University of Bonn’s Egyptian Museum, the vessel was thought to have held perfume until a two-year study uncovered traces of what appears to be an ancient treatment for eczema or psoriasis. Its ingredients include palm and nutmeg oil, fatty acids that can relieve certain skin conditions and a type of cancer-causing tar residue, which is also found in cigarette smoke.

“We have known for a long time that Hatshepsut had cancer and maybe even died from it,” said Michael Höveler-Müller, the collection’s curator. “We may now know the actual cause.” He also said that other members of the queen’s family are thought to have suffered from inflammatory skin diseases that tend to be genetic.

Many scholars regard Queen Hatshepsut, who ruled Egypt from 1479 to 1458 B.C., as one of the most powerful and successful pharaohs in history. During her 22-year reign, she ushered in an era of peace and stability, established a vast trade network and commissioned hundreds of construction projects. To win over detractors who considered women unfit for high office, she emphasized her royal birth and had artists depict her with a male body and false beard.

After Hatshepsut’s death, her resentful stepson and heir Thutmose III attempted to erase all traces of her from the historical record. This could explain the empty sarcophagus British archaeologist Howard Carter found when he discovered the queen’s royal burial place, located in Egypt’s Valley of the Kings, in 1902. But in 2007, Egyptian authorities announced that Hatshepsut’s mummy had turned up in a nearby tomb. A CT scan revealed that she had died in her 50s of bone cancer and also suffered from diabetes and arthritis.

Did Hatshepsut inadvertently poison herself while trying to soothe her itchy, irritated skin? “There is a lot that speaks for this hypothesis,” said Helmut Wiedenfeld of the University of Bonn’s pharmaceutical institute. “If you imagine that the queen had a chronic skin disease and that she found short-term improvement from the salve, she may have exposed herself to a great risk over the years.”

Though ancient Egyptians certainly used remedies—some more effective than others—for a wide variety of conditions, Wiedenfeld thinks Hatshepsut’s lotion might have hailed from afar. “Egyptian physicians were general practitioners and good surgeons, but they were lousy internists,” he explained. “It is quite possible that they owe their knowledge of certain medications to their contacts with Persia and India, where the healing arts were very advanced even in antiquity.”
A close-up of Queen Hatshepsut’s flask, which
was found to contain a carcinogenic skin cream

Source: http://www.history.com/news/2011/08/19/ ... atshepsut/

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

This is all very interesting about the skin cream, but I have never actually believed that Tuthmosis III hated his step mother as stated in this article.
Why for example would she appoint him as the head of her armies? A position that he could easily exploit to take over the throne.

In addition none of her temples were damaged or defaced until quite late in his (Tuthmosis III) reign.

Anyone who has seen the beautiful Red Chapel in the open air museum area of Karnak can see for themselves the two rulers Cartouches side by side on the left hand wall. It is believed that this chapel originally stood between the two Obelisks that were erected by Hatshepsut at Karnak and it was probably dismantled by Tuthmosis III son, the future Amenhotep II to make way for other building work and certainly not by Tuthmosis III out of spite for Hatshepsut.

My contention is that he was probably a very happy young man, quite content to swan around as head of the army doing his young man macho things while his stepmother took care of the day to day mundane tasks of running the country.

So why did he deface her monuments much later in his reign? Probably because he wanted to ensure that his own son Amenhotep II was seen to be the legitimate heir to the throne and not a descendant of Hathshepsut who probably had better claims to it. I still find this particular period one of the most interesting and the Red chapel is one of the most beautiful and in parts the most pristine buildings I have ever seen in Egypt. Couple that with the statue of Tuthmosis III which is currently in the Luxor museum which must be the most faithful and the most beautiful example of the masons art. Others may say that the head of Neffertitti is the most beautiful, but they must never have seen this particular statue.

Tuthmosis III in the Luxor museum
The Red Chapel and the wall where the double Cartouche may be seen

Note the figures of two Pharaohs and the two cartouches side by side of Hatshepsut on the left and Thuthmosis III on the right.

Again the double cartouche of two rulers carved into a Basalt type stone at the temple entrance

Inside the Red Chapel

Bragging again, offerings being made to the god of fertility Min.

The outer walls of the temple that are original, have been constructed from a warm reddish coloured Sandstone and must it have been very difficult to carve the delicate hieroglyphs due to the inclusions of small pebbles.

Anyone who has ever tried to drill a hole in concrete and hit a pebble, will appreciate the skill involved in actually carving through part of this particular pebble without it falling out and leaving a hole.

More delicate carving and still pristine.

This looks like a Whoopoo to me
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Great photos, H! Will give this a closer look next visit.

As you seem to know this temple so well, do you know where are the gylphs of the name for the goddess Bast (commonly known as Bastet)? There is a black and white photo of it on Google Images (I don't know how to get it on here) that looks to be high up, going by the angle. Would like to locate it next visit.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It really is something not to be missed WI, I do know it quite well as I always include it in my visits to Karnak. There is a lot of reconstruction of the chapel walls but some blocks are still very clear and very detailed, while others are plain if you get my meaning. It is quite small, but there is lots to see, unfortunately as it stands alone in an open area it can be hard to look at all the detail in bright sunlight, but there is a lovely big tree close by where you can sit and rest in it's shade. :)

I will have to look through my photos to see if I can pick out anything that resembles your query, but if you can post me a link to the actual picture I may be able to help. There are some other interesting features on some other chapels and there is one in particular you should check out as I have never seen it mentioned or discussed elsewhere.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I remember visiting the the Open Air Museum & worth every minute of it, also remember sitting under the big tree admiring all these beautiful small temples.
One below taken a few yrs back with old camera & not so good quality.

Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Have managed, following the instructions in the Extras Menu: Resize Your Photo to upload the photo onto the forum, but don't know what to do next. It says "right click", but I have a laptop with a touch-pad..... over to the techxperts: it's waiting patiently! :roll:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Terrific photos H. Loved the open air temples. GORGEOUS!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great picture Kiya, I have stood in that very spot myself ;)

WI, if you have already uploaded your picture to either your album or one of the other public albums, then just open the picture so that you can see it, and Copy & Paste ALL of the long line of text that is in the box below it. Usually if you click on it, it will turn Blue in colour, now RIGHT click your mouse and choose the option COPY. Now go back to your forum post and again RIGHT click your mouse, but this time choose PASTE, you should now see the same line of text in your post. Go to the PREVIEW option of your post and after it shows on the screen the picture should be visible, if it is, go back and click your submit button. :)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus it is a touch pad she uses & not a mouse.
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Yep. :roll:

Tried click-and-dragging over it and it turned sort-of-blue (no text appeared), so tried copy/paste, but no luck. Tried "save page as", but it saved the whole page. Double-clicking doesn't turn it blue.

Is anyone else able to do it, or does it have to be me? It's there on the Resize page, so I guess you can see it, as I could see the bird one put there previously (by H, I think).
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

OK peeps, first off, if you are using a touchpad and not a mouse, there should be some other method of doing 'Right Click/Left Click' it is usually two other buttons or maybe even a little strip near the pad that when either end is touched, it does the same thing. :)

WI can you clarify to me what exactly it is you are having a problem with as we may be at cross purposes. ;)

(1) Have you already downloaded a picture from the web to your PC and then posted it into the E4U album somewhere and cannot put it into your post?

(2) Have you seen a picture on the web somewhere but cannot download it to your Laptop?

(3) Have you managed to save it to your laptop, but cannot upload it to the forum albums?

(or 4) Are you trying to put a particular website address (as a link) into your post, but can't do so ?

(5) Non of the above Mr Thicko! try another list. :lol: :lol:
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Nope, just a bog-standard touchpad (it's a Mac, if that helps).

I have the picture from Google Images on my desktop. I have used the pop-out "Exras Menu" on the left side of this forum page and on the "Resize Your Photo" page have followed the instructions and got my photo below them, which replaced the last-posted photo, which I think was one of yours(?) of a bird on a feeder. So it is up-loaded on the forum, but I cannot get it beyond that point to get it into this post so you can see the Bast glyph, then hopefully you or someone else can indicate where it is located in the temple. :grin:

Mr Thicko???!!! So NOT!!! I'm the only computer wombat on here! :roll:

PS: Sorry to have hijacked your interesting post, Keefy! :oops:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No problems WI we are only trying to add your contribution to this thread, so not off topic.
From what you are describing, I do not think you have actually uploaded anything yet and I have searched all the albums and cannot find anything there. However, we will succeed in this one way or another, can you just copy the link from the web site into your next post? And I will do it for you.

I never really think that the resizing thing works that well, I prefer to just have it on my Desktop and upload it directly to the forum. I think what may be happening is that the picture is actually being resized, but then it is being put back onto your Laptop for you to upload in the usual way. You are maybe thinking that the resizing feature automatically puts it in the albums, but I am sure it does not. Have a look to see if you have a copy of your picture somewhere on your PC that is less than 256k in size and no bigger than 800 pixels in any direction. I know that it can seem complicated, but it really is not, you just need to know how to do it properly, if you want me to give you some off line tuition regarding this just send me a PM. :)
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Found the photo - went to re-size and it is shown as the last photo that was re-sized. The next part of the instructions are to right click the picture, select 'save as' and to save the picture with your name for the picture on your computer. You then have to upload the picture to one of the E4U albums then attach it to the topic.

So I think WI's problem is how to 'save as' the picture as she can not right click it to get the option to 'save as'.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Brian, a nice bit of detective work on your part, :) but I still cannot figure out why she has no Right or Left click, even on a Laptop. There should be some way of simulating this action, it may be another button, a rocker strip or even part of the touchpad that you have to tap to make the menu pop up, the other alternative of course is just to buy a cheap mouse and plug that in instead.
Moonstone

Post by Moonstone »

Loved the photos Horus. It's a wonderful place and love it. But the bird (final pic) is surely a rekhyt which is one of the longest surviving symbols from ancient Egypt. It was a lapwing which was used to identify a section of the populace known as the rekhyt people, or commoners, who would have not be allowed to enter the inner parts of temples.

Ken Griffin from Swansea University has been, and still is, involved in a study on this subject. He gave us a wonderful lecture (when they were still being put on at the Mummy Museum) and has written extensively on the subject. I also shared a kofta meal in Gezira with him and other friends last week !!! (Sorry, didn't mean to brag.)
KJB

Post by KJB »

The statue of Thutmosis III is my favourite statue of any I 've seen. It is glorious. I often wonder what his feet would have looked like though. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thank you for that information Moonstone, it was very interesting and certainly added to my own knowledge :) I always thought that they looked like Whoopoos, but now you point it out it is certainly a Lapwing. :) There is a lovely little freeze with several of them in a line, but I only posted a cropped version, nice to see your input on here. :D

KJB, there are some beautiful statues in the Luxor museum :) I have visited the Cairo and Aswan museums, but some of the ones displayed at Luxor are outstanding. Another one that is stunning in detail, but badly damaged is one of Ramesses III (if I remember correctly), it is split through and very badly damaged, but the detail is breathtaking, I must have a look to see if I have any photo's of it. My biggest problem is that I was lucky enough to be able to shoot lots of video inside the museum, but took very few stills. I have everything recorded on video, but taking a single frame out for a picture does not do it justice as the quality of a single frame is low.

If Keefy reads this he may tell me how I could upload a short clip to the forum, if that is possible, without having to go via You Tube. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

WI, looking at the picture that Brian posted for you, I would doubt that it was from the Red Chapel as the stone work looks too rough for the chapel walls, or did you just post it as an example of what you were looking for?
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

Bearded Brian wrote:Found the photo - went to re-size and it is shown as the last photo that was re-sized. The next part of the instructions are to right click the picture, select 'save as' and to save the picture with your name for the picture on your computer. You then have to upload the picture to one of the E4U albums then attach it to the topic.

So I think WI's problem is how to 'save as' the picture as she can not right click it to get the option to 'save as'.
Mubrook and shukran, Brian! :cheer:

He's right H, I hadn't put it in an album, it was still in the Resize page as I said. My touch pad is just one piece, nothing extra, and it makes no difference which part you touch.

I have no idea where it is in the Temple, Red Chapel or otherwise, and it certainly does look too rough for there. I am hoping someone might have an idea now, or someone who reads this in the future. :sl:

Thanks anyway, and to Brian again. :bl: