Tutankhamun: Anatomy of an Excavation.

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

JOJO

Tutankhamun: Anatomy of an Excavation.

Post by JOJO »

I went to a lecture a couple of weeks back at the Herbet museum in Coventry 'Tutankhamun: Anatomy of an Excavation by Jamoir Malek'.
The Griffith institue website is well worth a look at. http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4tut.html

'Tutankhamun: Anatomy of an Excavation is ambitious in its scope but simple in its aims: to make the complete records of Howard Carter's excavation of the tomb of Tutankhamun available on these web pages. It is astonishing, but no longer acceptable, that some eighty years and thousands of articles, hundreds of books, and dozens of exhibitions after the discovery of the tomb, this most famous event in the history of Egyptian archaeology has not yet been fully published. The documentation is presented in its original form and all, scholars, interested members of the public and school students, can consult it. We hope that this will help bring the knowledge and love of ancient Egypt to everybody.'

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for that JoJo :) even more surprising to me is that even his grave is not properly marked with the achievments of this famous man. :(
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

During the lecture we were shown a photograph of one of his favourite and lesser known objects from Tuts tomb.........

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for that Jo :)

A good example of how the internet can open up such a vast knowledge base to all with interest in the subject and who is not interested in such a wonderful discovery :)
:gg:
BillH

Post by BillH »

I always though it odd, that Tut' had such a small tomb, and the reason cited was that they didn't have time to build a big tomb for him because he died so young..

Yet, He all those treasures, burial boxes and that wonderful mask.. Hmmmmm... :sl:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes, but most of 'his' stuff was not originally made for him apart from a few personal items put in there with him. To me his tomb was just a way of getting rid of all the previous Amarna bits and pieces that could no longer be used due to their association with his fathers rule, hence the lavish burial, "bung it in boys, we won't be needing any of this again!" ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

I guess they were no too big on this "Save the Planet" and recycling back in those days then :lol: :lol:

Seems they had forgotten all about Tut when it came to emptying the tombs when leaving Thebes, Wasset, or whatever Luxor was called back then, and Rameses VI tomb almost collided with Tut's tomb during it's excavation If I recall correctly..

It just seems so odd, bringing Tut back into the fold when they could easily have disposed of him and already had 2 "stand in" Pharaohs.

I am amazed that the Ancient Greeks didn't find him first, as they would surely have had a better understanding of the Ancient Egyptian culture.

Back to JOJO's picture.. I wonder what kind of bird is being portrayed in the carving ? It's a wonderful piece :)