The infamous Mr Z

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

The infamous Mr Z

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

As the situation in Egypt continues to unfold do you think Zahi Hawass is going to disappear following resignation or will he rebound to the forefront? How tenacious do you think Zahi is going to be in the new Egypt?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think that there are a lot of people with scores to settle with him on many levels. He may in some peoples eyes be a great ambassador for Egypt, but he has ruffled a lot of feathers with his self promotion. Many foreign Egyptologist will probably be glad to see him replaced with someone less dictatorial and more disposed to allowing others to take some credit for the work that goes on, rather than having to await the big mans arrival before daring to say anything about their own discoveries.
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Very well put Horus!
BillH

Post by BillH »

I'm not so sure, as much as I dislike the man, if he does get replaced, it will be with someone who is more or less like Zahi..

Wether you belive it or not, Egyptology is not as it is presented, and there is no way that Mavricks will be allowed to go digging where they choose or trying to get finds past the SCA.

Zahi knows the truth about Egypt, that is why he is the way he is. Sadly he just cant help himself..
One day soon, the truth will out, not too long to wait now.. 8)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

Wonderful to have you back BillH....a good journey? 8)
BillH

Post by BillH »

Somewhat, in both senses.. :?

Poland was cold as hell, I dont know how those people manage out there, I really dont. I wont complain about cold winters ever again.. :lol:
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Well he wasnt sacked for long was he, he was reappointed on Weds this week.
But then love or hate him, he has brought a LOT of attention to Egypt one way and another, i wonder how many amazing recoveries will be made now ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

Oh for the love of God !! :ni:
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Leopard......spots, egyptian mind set, what can you say, one minute he is arrested for all sorts now he is back in charge of antiquities it seems :roll:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Revolution! what revolution? they have just swapped one lot of corrupt officials for another lot, things will soon be back to normal, what a bloody wasted opportunity :x
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm in agreement with you H. Am not sure much has changed except the characters. Same old same old.
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Exactly thats why i say a leopard never changing his spots=the egyptian mindset, they are just shuffling bodies about and hoping that the general public dont notice as far as i can make out, which given the fact that people died for the right to have democracy in Egypt, its a shocking state of affairs :(
They dont seem to realise that they could easily become a laughing stock in the Arab world, and other Arab countries are watching, what message does this send to them, " Oh let them have thier protest, let them die, let them shout and scream, then all we have to do is remove a few figures, we can replace them or re-enstate them in a little while " :x
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

You have to hand it to the military Christine, they play the protector of the people card, then stand by and watch it all burn itself out, then swiftly back to business as usual for the real people in power. :)
It should make for some interesting times ahead, just think of all those people, expats included, who have put in their two penny worth about the old regime, I bet a few notes have been taken. ;) I am looking forward to all the future posts from them saying how the old regime was not really that bad and “better the devil you know” etc. :roll:
BillH

Post by BillH »

Let's see what the Elections in October do for Egypt Horus, then give it a year or so for final conclusions to be drawn.. Insha-Allah, Egypt will be a better place..

Not wishing to put a hex on the situation, but I did say on the blue side in my final post, I knew I would not be retuning to Egypt and it made me sad for a while. I would go tomorrow if the opportunity presented itself, truly I would.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Oh I have no problem with visiting Egypt Bill :) I am just saying that I doubt if much has really changed. ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

I believe you could be right Horus :)
So, on that score, consider this..
What will happen when the Egyptians realise that as well ?

Round and round the merry-go-round.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

What BillH is suggesting is going to be a very sobering thought to many Egyptians when they realize all the efforts they put forward didn't really make too much change in the long run.

It is really hard to effect change particularly when you're trying to oust many who have profited greatly off their corrupt practices. I just can't see them giving up that easily......I'm almost convinced that the entire Egyptian Protest was too easily won......I know people died, some blood was shed but it seems almost anticlimactic that an entire Regime that has been in place for decades just rolled over and gave up in 3 weeks. Something is quite right and it all just seems too easy and simple.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Its called playing the game LLL :) the real power in Egypt for the last 50 plus years has been the military. They do not want to alienate the population, so much better to stand back and let their puppets take the flak, then appoint another one of their chosen people. :) If that does not happen and things go the wrong way then you can always take back control in the name of national security, after all, now they know who is for and who is against them ;)
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

Exactly 8)
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

You definitely got a good point there H. The "role" of the military in the entire Egyptian situation has been curious and interesting. They are definitely a 'presence' and I honestly kept thinking they'd, sooner or later, have a show of force and take a position but they had excellent control at 'playing the game' and seeing where the bouncing ball is going to drop.

Do we know anything about any of Egyptian military hierarchy? And I'm talking about maybe some of the lesser know but 'in the wings' Generals or Colonels who might be the superb tactiticans yet lesser known?

(*as you can tell I don't even know what IS the highest rank in the military)