Tidbit of History - Naval style

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Tidbit of History - Naval style

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

OLD IRONSIDES

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (I.e. Fresh water distillers).
However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S.Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."
Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."
Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.
Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.
On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rumaboard each.
By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland . Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.
The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of water.
GO NAVY!

denisegr

Post by denisegr »

Those sailors certainly liked a tipple, interesting facts LLL.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

A facinating bit of history LLL, especially all the booze they got through. :P
Now I can forgive all our colonial cousins for refusing to pay their taxes, chucking our tea into the river, sinking a few of our ships and mangling our language ,;) but I draw the line at you stealing our Whiskey! ;) :lol: :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

- - - - -

Post by Jayway »

HOLLYWOOD is missing out on this story , what a great film this would be. I would like to see the final arrival at Boston, can just imagine the parking sequence - - :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

What a great story LLL, and as Jayway says, an amazing movie story. :)

I think I have heard about this before; they did 'Whiskey Galore' as a film, why not this? :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was really quite 'impressed' (and I'm not sure in a good way) with the amount of "spirits" these sailors were consuming. However I'm thinking that I'd have to have quite a few before I attempted to climb up those masts and mess with the rigging. Am also sure that Alchol must've been quite appreciated to pass away those L O N G days and nights at sea AND no TV, no Radio, No Internet, No Telephone, sms or Tweeting and Twittering......AND probably no books either......sooooo consuming a few and they seeing all those "mermaids" was probably an ok passtime.

On another more serious note I know my father's brother joined the Navy out of our teetotalling family. I'm talking the strict Presby who never allowed anything to pass their lips. He came out 25 yrs later as a complete alcoholic. Mind you this was Canadian Navy. He basically said they were passed out rum on a daily basis and it was always available. I kinda think the term - sailing the "HIGH seas" might have derived from this!! :)) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It was only in 1971 that the British Navy stopped the 'Rum Ration' which was served each day to anyone over 20 years old. :P

The tradition of giving spirits to sailors originated in the 18th Century and it was originally served neat, until Admiral Vernon ordered that the Rum was to be cut with water to make it weaker. Hence the term ‘Grog’ was born, a reference Vernon’s habit of wearing a 'Grogram' boat cloak.

And of course Nelsons body was preserved in Rum and other spirits for his return to England after his death at Trafalgar.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

And the 'tot' was quite a generous measure so much so that it was used as a kind of currency to repay any favours.

It was a common gesture to give a mate a 'wet' or sip from your tot as a thank you for being a good mate or showing some kindness.

LLL, I think you omitted one item in your list, WOMEN. Little wonder sailors went a bit wild when in port.......... :lol:
:gg: