The Shaduf

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

The Shaduf

Post by Horus »

I recently started a thread on Waterwheels, but a more basic method of raising water to irrigate the fields was the Shaduf.
These are very basic devices that rely on a counterweighted beam that is hung from a cross beam, this pivots by rotating through an arc from its own centre balance point. At one end is attached another pole that is also loosely pivoted to the end of the beam, A container of some type is then attached to the other end of the pole, in later times it could be a bucket, but it was often just a woven waterproofed basket or an animal skin bag. This container was immersed into the river by either pulling down on the pole, or by a rope attached higher up the beam so that the container dipped into the river and filled with water. By pulling up on the pole or releasing the rope, the weighted beam would pivot and lift the heavy container out of the water to a position several feet higher, where it was then tipped out.

The counter balance was usually very crude, often constructed of heavy stones plastered with mud, but it could be quickly adjusted by adding or removing mud from the balance weight. A skilled operator could raise the water container and make it tip in one movement by either tipping the container against the edge of the irrigation channel or by making the bag squeeze up against it to discharge the water. Where the river level was much lower than the fields to be irrigated, several Shadufs could be used together to form a ladder structure of reservoir pools with each Shaduf dipping into the lower one’s reservoir and raising it to the next level.

Years ago they could still be seen being used in a few places along the Nile, but modern diesel powered pumps have replaced most of them, although I suspect that a few still exist here and there on some irrigation canals.
It has often crossed my mind that if the Hanging Gardens of Babylon ever existed, then maybe this was how they were watered. :)

A single Shaduf circa 1965

A Double Shaduf circa 1965. Irrigate with a friend! ;)

Multiple Shadufs circa 1860. Taking water to a higher level

Modern day Shaduf circa 2007. On the left going towards the bridge on the Movenpick road.

Does anyone have any more pictures or things to add?

BillH

Post by BillH »

Good Picture's Horus.. :)
Is that your good self in the orange T shirt in the last picture Horus.

I have seen these shaduf's but never seen anyone actually working one, having seen the pictures, then I can see why the diesel pumps are so poular..

As for the Hanging gardens of Babylon irrigation technique's, in the absence of a ram Pump ;)
Then I would suggest a series of archimedes screw's made possibly from hollowed out tree's. feeding water into resevoirs where the next battery of screws lift the water up to the next resevoir.
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

BillH wrote:Good Picture's Horus.. :)
Behave BillH, that cannot possibly be Horus as the geezer in the Orange T-shirt is doing some work! :mrgreen:
BillH

Post by BillH »

JOJO wrote:
Behave BillH, that cannot possibly be Horus as the geezer in the Orange T-shirt is doing some work! :mrgreen:

..(or nicking the bucket while the workers are in the Mosque) ;)
JOJO

Post by JOJO »

BillH wrote:
JOJO wrote:

That's more like it! :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Geez I'm sure if H was gonna Nick the bucket he'd of been in his camo colours........on the other hand :dun: Maybe he was just trying to fake us out by wearing the orange jersey.

Interesting topic H. Isn't it interesting how different societies use what they have to fill the need yet so many of us (society or cultural groups) will develop something slightly different.

I concur with your Garden of Babylon theory. Can't see why these would not have been used.

At 5 years old I was an expert at getting an old hand pump primed so we would get our drinking water. Hadn't a clue on the theory behind what I was doing. I just knew that if I didn't get the pump primed and if I ran out of ALL available water I'd be in for a really major walk begging a pail of water from one of the neighbours which I'd also have to replace before the chore could end.

Can you imagine in all that dry dry hot sunny heat how much water evaporated off?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

JOJO wrote:
BillH wrote:
JOJO wrote: Behave BillH, that cannot possibly be Horus as the geezer in the Orange T-shirt is doing some work! :mrgreen:

That's more like it! :lol:
Hey! "What are you trying to say JoJo?" I resemble that remark :lol: :lol:
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Shaduf

Post by Jayway »

Maybe someone ( ? ? ? ) will post a drawing/design for this shaduf. Is the wood used in the photos from palm trees ? :) :) :co: :nod:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Bill wrote:
As for the Hanging gardens of Babylon irrigation technique's, in the absence of a ram Pump
Then I would suggest a series of archimedes screw's made possibly from hollowed out tree's. feeding water into resevoirs where the next battery of screws lift the water up to the next resevoir.
I have heard that one put forward before Bill, but again the problem that I have with this theory is the manufacture. Although the principle looks simple, the manufacture is extremely difficult. A modern Archimedes Screw only works because it is an extremely close fit within the tube, any space between the screw and the casing and the water just escapes between the gaps and runs back again, the only way to counter this is to turn the screw at a very fast speed so that the collected water volume exceeds the escaping volume of water. I am not saying it could not be done, but it would be very ineficient and almost impossible to keep it turning at a speed suitable to pump up water in any useful volume.
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

-------

Post by Jayway »

:lol: :lol: DONKEY ON CRACK ? ? that´ll be pretty fast Horus - - :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @ Jayway
But to be fair to Bill and his side of the arguement, here is a picture of a hand operated Archimedes Screw, but its manufacture is far more complex internally and externally than a tree trunk and a few other bits. In addition the actual lift height is limited to the weight of water that the man himself could physically lift. There is no gearing on the drive handle, it connects to the end of the internal shaft. The steeper the incline, the more water it could lift, but the man would not have the strength to do it, notice the very small volume of water being discharged for the diameter of the tube.

BillH

Post by BillH »

I suppose with enough people, anything is possible, I certainly wouldn't like a job like that though. :lol:

There again, with enough receptacles and people you could set up a chain gang, and just keep going until the reservoir is full. The most simple method I could imagine.

Jayway, it would be simple enough to construct a wooden shaduf.
The whole principal is that on the other end, you have a weight to help counterbalance the weight of the bucket.
It's a simple calculation to make for the counterbalance.
How much weight do you want to lift as opposed to how hard you want to pull down on the arm, balance that with the weight to suit you.
the weight would just be mud and a cloth wrapped around it to hold it in place.

Ideally, the fulcrum point on top of the post would be a "V" shape, so as not to put too much sideways strain on the post as you position the full bucket to empty it.

Lots of examples on Google Images -> shaduf..

The base is way overcomplicated on the model above, because you would just put the upright post in a hole the ground.